TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I hotestly dont this it was a riders foot that struck him. I don't think someones foot could decapitate a person. I think when he jumped for someone's legs he missed and that steel section that hangs under the train hit him.

I wonder how far his head flew. Even worse i wonder if it landed in someones lap on the ride. Now that would have scared the crap out of me.

Wonder if this will join the other hauntings and ghost stories at SFoG. Sounds like something right out of a folk tale.

"In the quiet whispers of closing time, when the moon is full, and the park is empty, the ghostly figure of a boy can be seen wandering below the Batman's tracks, endlessly searching for his severed head."

B&M inverted coasters have a metal bar connecting the seats in each row. See here. If anything, that's what decapitated him.

QueenCityBoy, his head most likely didn't fly off. This isn't a movie. It may not even have been completely severed. Maybe it was hanging by ligaments or part of his spine. Who knows?

Some random pics from TPR member's SFoG TRs. The pics are credited to those folks accordingly. You can see in a couple where the bar is.

Yes, part of me is curious about the grizzly details too. Such a shame, the whole thing, though.

1195718272_SFOG_BatmanTheRide_sat.jpg.03e08e021823a6374ee8fc7c5146723b.jpg

Google Earth overview of SFoG Batman: The Ride

imgp0054_166.jpg.9ae7392ad9583eab4324977b9e662328.jpg

You think the accident happened somewhere around this area? Of course, if he hopped the fence to get in, it could be anywhere

hedrick_sfog_pics103__medium__191.jpg.0acf7608d9e392c9bc9b8317640fdff3.jpg

dsc01341_159.jpg.54a4e896c072d9bcf05edd0da4b3c83a.jpg

dsc01174_211.jpg.755d70a25d89efd8151a47a9be485b77.jpg

QueenCityBoy, his head most likely didn't fly off. This isn't a movie. It may not even have been completely severed. Maybe it was hanging by ligaments or part of his spine. Who knows?

The news reports don't mention anything about his head being removed. "decapitation" doesn't imply a head being removed. Could be any body part. Although obviously in this case it's most likely.

But if it was a low enough zone and he got hit in the torso, it would be quite messy.

Franky I don't like to even think about it. Gives me chills.

The news reports don't mention anything about his head being removed. "decapitation" doesn't imply a head being removed. Could be any body part. Although obviously in this case it's most likely.

The teen, who visiting the park with a church group from Springfield, South Carolina, was decapitated, she said.

from CNN.com article http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/28/theme.park.fatality/index.html

de·cap·i·tate - verb (used with object), -tat·ed, -tat·ing. to cut off the head of; behead: Many people were decapitated during the French Revolution.

from dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Decapitated

I feel more sorry for the park for what they will have to deal with (lawsuits, paperwork, etc) than the kid and his family. It's morons like this who kill parks. Sure, its sad for the family, but at least now the guy is out of the gene pool, and one less moron in the world. For the park, this is Great America all over again with what happened on Top Gun 10 years ago. What's next? 10ft high electric fences with moats and bricks??

I smell a lawsuit brewing which will result in Six Flags paying out millions to the family of the idiot. Once again, Six Flags will pay the price for the dumb actions of others. Remember the outcome of that Waterworld USA accident 10 years ago? Only in America...

Hahaha you beat me to it Sam. I was going to say the same thing! I do feel sorry for his friends and family. Just remember; "Hurt people hurt people."

Sure the kid shouldn't have been there, but to say he deserved to die? Come on! Some of the comments on here make me sick. This is a horrible accident and I am quite sure that any lawsuit will be thrown out of court. I know there has been precedent set in cases before this that say the park is not liable at all if safety requirements are met. It is quite possible that a judge will look at this and dismiss it immediately. Lets hope so!

But if it was a low enough zone and he got hit in the torso, it would be quite messy.

Franky I don't like to even think about it. Gives me chills.

"Decapitate" means to cut the head off of. Why would the news reports say decapitate when they could say his hand was cut off or his leg was dismembered? It's safe to say his head came off. I was also pointing out to QueenCityBoy that his head most likely did not fly through the air.

this is very sad for the family who lost the kid...but I hope this a lesson for the general public to follow the rules. I don't think he deserved this but not one told him to be stupid an "cool" and jump the fence to a restricted area either

Fox News is still insisting he was decapitated. No source on that detail though.

And yes, decapitation is the head. Limbs get severed, your head gets decapitated.

Not to be too grisly in the details, but often when someone is decapitated, their head isn't actually removed from their body. People often suffer what's known as 'internal decapitation'. This is when your head stays on firm, but the inner workings are detached inside the neck, causing the same result even though you stay in one piece.

(Spent too many years as a criminal prosecutor! )

^^Actually, if he was with a group of teens, someone could have dared him to do it. In my adolescent psych class, we talked about this thing called the invincibility myth. Believe me, some teens think they are invincible.

I'm gonna stand by my opinion and say that nobody, no matter how stupid deserves to die and I don't blame the parents, or anyone else besides the teen that did the act.

I feel more sorry for the park for what they will have to deal with (lawsuits, paperwork, etc) than the kid and his family. It's morons like this who kill parks. Sure, its sad for the family, but at least now the guy is out of the gene pool, and one less moron in the world. For the park, this is Great America all over again with what happened on Top Gun 10 years ago. What's next? 10ft high electric fences with moats and bricks??

I smell a lawsuit brewing which will result in Six Flags paying out millions to the family of the idiot. Once again, Six Flags will pay the price for the dumb actions of others. Remember the outcome of that Waterworld USA accident 10 years ago? Only in America...

That's where you are wrong. If the family sues Six Flags, then Six Flags will almost definately win. Why? Because the park could not have done anything about it. And their rep is in the toilet for the GP, so they need the money and good press. If Six Flags loses the impending suit, it will be just one step closer to their demise.

That said, I put all of the blame on the kid. He not only broke into Batman's restricted area, he also broke into the park. He and his friend clearly broke the rules and his friend will probably go to jail. So Six Flags is just about gaurenteed to win this, if it ever happens.

But I still feel sorry for the family and the riders. I cannot imagine a friend of mine going that way.

"Decapitate" means to cut the head off of. Why would the news reports say decapitate when they could say his hand was cut off or his leg was dismembered? It's safe to say his head came off. I was also pointing out to QueenCityBoy that his head most likely did not fly through the air.

I stand corrected.

Fox News is still insisting he was decapitated. No source on that detail though.
Go to ajc.com, which is the homepage of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. That's the newspaper in Atlanta. The story there says police said he was decapitated.

I have a feeling the lawsuit will involve suing the church.

Any group outings to amusement parks I've ever been to as a child involved a parent's signature for permission, and as an adult, required a signature for insurance purposes. (And probably niether happened here, I will reserve my comments as to why!) If anything, this may change how groups such as churches, schools, etc. can take these trips. They can seriously argue that the church was responsible for adult supervision of their kids. And technically, they'd be right.

This was a horrible accident that took place, and I am angry to hear that the major cause of the accident was stupidity. Really...if he lost something and needed to get it, why don't he just ask a park employee to get it?

The major lesson that we can learn from this accident:

That said, I put all of the blame on the kid. He not only broke into Batman's restricted area, he also broke into the park. He and his friend clearly broke the rules and his friend will probably go to jail. So Six Flags is just about gaurenteed to win this, if it ever happens.

I wouldn't necessarily call that a guarantee.

The fact that the kid broke into a restricted area doesn't necessarily let Six Flags off the hook. They would have to be able to prove that they did everything possible to keep people out.

I'd think of it like a backyard swimming pool. If some kid jumps your fence and drowns, you are liable. I know my parents had to put combo locks on the gates of their house for insurance reasons.

There was also a case where a guy was breaking into a house, and fell through a skylight. He sued and won.

This is an incredibly sad incident. Even though the kid broke the rules I think its incredibly sad he died for it. It hurts the park, the rider, and the victim's family. It's just a bad deal anyway you see it.

If the family decides to sue, I don't think it's right. As long if there was adequate warning and a fence protecting people from the ride, the park is not at fault.

There was also a case where a guy was breaking into a house, and fell through a skylight. He sued and won.

That is just about the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard! Things like this make our justice system a joke...

That is just about the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard! Things like this make our justice system a joke...

I remember hearing about this in a law course. The guy fell through the skylight onto the kitchen counter, landing on a knife and causing him a stab injury in the leg I believe.

He got paid...........horrible