TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, The username said:

That's a good point, though I do miss the old grungy Gotham City I remember from back in 2006. Still can't forgive them for what they did to Mindbender's sign...

Right on.  I really hope that Mindbender sign got a home somewhere and did not simply go to the scrap heap.  The new sign is awful.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:17 AM, bert425 said:

the only thing memorable about the one at SFOG was the giant Joker face in the center was kind of cool.

and that queue - out in the sun - with NO coverings.   Oh, they had the poles there to put the canvas coverings up to cover the queue.. they just never did.   so. damn. hot. in that queue.

I could have sworn at one point they had a few of those canvas covers for the queue? Like maybe for one season?

12 hours ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

I could have sworn at one point they had a few of those canvas covers for the queue? Like maybe for one season?

look at the pic I posted up in the thread. . . one area of poles had the canvas.. . for a couple of weeks.    Rest of queue was in sun, and then they apparently decided it looked stupid just to have one section of canvas up, and took them all down.

ugh. . was horrible in the direct sunlight.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Visiting SFOG for the first time 3 weeks from today (Sunday after Memorial Day). Admittedly the primary reason for this trip is to ride the other RMC down the way, but obviously I have to finally check this place out as well and a park with a B&M Hyper and its own RMC should be plenty fun.

Has the park veen running near 100% or have there been rides closed that might not be open by the time I go? Also, should I budget for Flash Pass? I have a full day but I have no idea how crowded this park gets so not sure what to expect. Preferably I'd like to lap the whole park and then get some rerides on Goliath and Cyclone.

Get there an hour before posted opening.  You can knock out all the coasters by 1 or 2pm most every day. Then hit monster mansion, acrophobia and other flats, rerides, etc.  Food ops are generally terrible here.  Be one of the first in and head to TC. Get it and Scorcher done before they rope drop the rest of the park. DDD, Goliath, Superman, GASM, Blue Hawk, Batman, Mindbender, mine train is the best order/path to knock everything out quickest.  Flash pass may be useful later in the day but that's all on your phone now. No reason to buy in advance.  This my plan of attack on Saturdays because I hate crowds.  Been doing it for years.  

I usually flash pass. . .  but that's because I use it over and over for Monster Mansion.  (lol. . no, really. .love that stupid thing).

Cyclone usually opens prior to rope drop (the rope drop is past Twisted Cyclone at the tunnel).

My suggestion?  follow the crowd and get a ride on Twisted Cyclone, then IMMEDIATELY follow the crowd back to Superman (B&M flyer) that has horrific capacity. . then head directly over to DareDevil Dive. . .
yeah. .you're basically lapping the park and skipping things you'll want to ride, but those are the key two to knock out 1st. .as Supes and DDD WILL get insane rides later in the day, and will never get shorter.

So knock those out first.

• Confused 1

To stress even more on DDD, if you want that credit hit it first after rope drop, the operations are some of the slowest and it's the lowest capacity is the worst in the park. A station wait can range from 30min-1hr depending on the circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

Review of an early summer Sunday from a first timer...

Arrived right around the 11am opening and kept the RMC party going with a quick wait for the back row of Twisted Cyclone. This one seems to receive a little more bitching than most RMCs, but despite its length I actually really liked it. Good first drop, fun rolls early, the wave turn is phenomenal, and then some real killer airtime hills which I really felt because I think I have slightly bruised shins from lapping AF1 last night lol. I got a second ride on it in the afternoon and it was hauling even more in the hot sun. I liked this better than Wicked Cyclone as the pacing is great and it has a lot of standout moments.

Walked up the hill towards the Mine Train and realized most of the back of the park was slow to come alive, but finally came to an open Monster Mansion. This might be the 2nd most WTF ride after the Garfield ride at Kennywood, but at the same time was way too cool to be in a Six Flags park.

Made our way over to Dare Devil Dive which was about a 30 minute wait from just beyond the Flash Pass merge. Only running two cars but they were moving things along pretty quickly. Honestly was underwhelmed by this ride as it just seemed drawn out and pointless for the most part other than a couple forceful turns. A ride with this poor capacity doesn't belong in a major Six Flags park...it just doesn't make sense that they built this here.

Decided to stop by Georgia Scorcher before going back around the loop of the now fully open park. I liked it...smooth enough and forceful. Obviously on the short side but not a bad ride at all.

Headed back up for Goliath and had our first encounter with bad ops which became a bit of a blight on the park IMO. For one thing... one train ops on a Sunday? Not that there was much of a line, but they were pushing 3 minutes on dispatches which is inexcusable for a B&M Hyper. Maybe I'm jaded by Nitro's constantly world class ops, but it would've been nice to lap this today and it just wasn't possible with the slow moving 20 minute line that would've been 3 minutes if this was Great Adventure. Anyway, another thing I found lame was not being able to choose seats and being denied waiting for the front (even though it has a longer lineup built for it...why bother). Its clearly a permanent thing they do with this ride as there's a sign saying "no preferred seating on this ride." Why? It has a huge station and almost every other coaster here you could either choose or had no grouper at all. Anyway, boarded row 2 left seat and was told I couldnt hold my sunglasses. I tried handing them to the checker since I was on the left side, but she handed them back to me and told me I had to climb over the 3 people to my right and put them over there myself. Really premium customer service going on here.

Anyway, onto the coaster. This may have supplanted Diamondback as my favorite B&M hyper. This thing is like the Skyrush of B&M hypers, tons of ejector air on almost every hill especially in the 2nd half as well as some good positive g's both in the insane helix and on the way towards the brake run. It almost caught me off guard. I'd heard it's more forceful than most B&M hypers, but this blows away any of them. Diamondback has a better first drop and more complete layout, but the forces on this thing might just put it over the top. 

Headed down into Gotham and rode Mindbender after a 20 minute wait. This was a great ride, other than that diving turn after the first loop is was glass smooth with good forces in the loops. Schwarzkopf would never do anyone wrong and this may be the best one.

Moved along to Batman which had some breakdown issues but ended up boarding the front row after 20 minutes or so. Encountered another premium op here too. The train before mine had like 7 people either wearing sunglasses or holding them. They locked everyone in, then unlocked the restraints and the checker on the right side stood next to row 3 and screamed at the top of her lungs "If you have loose articles you need to get up and put them on the left side RIGHT NOW!!!". Anyway, somehow this was only my second BTR and this one was a bit rougher than Great Adventure's but somehow even faster and more intense. These things are just so fun and a total blur.

Continued towards the back of the park in search of more credits, finally coming up to Blue Hawk which was a walk on. I actually liked this, mainly because of the best restraints allowing the ride to be enjoyable. The layout is like a bizarro world SLC layout but it really cranks through the elements.

Next door, GASM was also a walk on for the back row. I was apprehensive because of the complaints of roughness, but this ride was a ton of fun with not much roughness at all. The floater airtime was plentiful all the way through the layout. Wish I could've made it back for more rides but it's really buried in the back of the park.

Getting the Superman credit was the bane of my existence today. The line was only back to the final straightaway before the split, but with one train ops (and atrocioisly slow ones at that) the wait somehow ended up being an hour. If it wasn't a new credit I never would've bothered as despite being nicer looking than the others, its just a clone. 

After finally escaping that hellhole of a line, I was denied the Jokers Funhouse credit as it was closed for the day before coming up on my final credit in the Mine Train. It was mostly fun, a couple brutal moments but really long with the three lifts and fun terrain elements.

Other than rerides on Cyclone and Goliath, my final to-dos were Acrophobia and the Flume. Acrophobia was interesting for sure...definitely a bit uncomfortable but the feeling of tilting at the top while not really sitting on anything was definitely a thrill. Very unique ride and fun enough to be worth dealing with the..uhh...uncomfortable bicycle seat thing. The flume was small but fun and had a nice splash without being too much.

Overall a good enough day although the operations definitely left something to be desired at some points. Not necessarily a place I'd come running back to, but when they get something new (well, besides the kiddie coaster) I will definitely be back. Goliath and Twisted Cyclone are awesome and combined with Arie Force One across town really make for a worthwhile weekend trip to Atlanta! It's a gorgeous park for sure and with better ops I would rank it in the top tier of Six Flags parks, but it comes up a bit short of the top tier with the way today went.

• Like 1

Stopped by today for a few hours, mainly for Hurricane Harbor.  Glad I did as the weather tomorrow is supposed to be horrible.  Anyway, I got to see the new VIP lounge for the first time and I have to say it was a pleasant surprise.  The AC on a hot day is amazing - almost an ice box in there!  There were drink filling stations, TVs, seating booths and free snacks.  Anyone with a Diamond pass / membership or higher can enjoy.  The attendants were very friendly and the place was spotless clean.  I really hope this is a permanent addition!  It is also a great place to bring your meals and sit.  

The park was pretty busy but I did not see any ridiculous lines anywhere.  Goliath is still one-train ops as (I assume) they are refurbishing the second train.

Overall, an enjoyable 4 hours, which is saying a lot after spending last weekend at SF Over Texas.  Cheers....

20230610_151907.jpg

20230610_152652.jpg

20230610_152655.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 11:08 PM, PhilNotPhil said:

What kind of crowds can I expect Friday 6/30 or Monday 7/3? I assume worse on 7/3. Anything I should know about ops weirdness? On Friday I can't be there until like 2-3 PM. 

I cannot predict the future BUT I can report that on Sat 6/24 they apparently had the busiest day they've had in 5 years. This was according to the team member that hosted a behind the scenes walkback of GASM and the storage area for the track of the new coaster. There was a post con add on day but with maybe a hundred or so ACE'ers they were not a huge impact and in fact it didn't even officially start until about 3 pm. We didn't get there until 3:30 since we'd been before and had to drive in from Charlotte but some others at the event that got there at open reported that it took 1 and a half to 2 hours to get through the parking lot toll booths, parked and into the park. Yikes. 

It was packed and hotter than hell and I did see one team member pass out and a couple other people getting sick from the heat. Stay hydrated out there people! 

I will give the park credit where due. Mindbender, ironically the only credit we didn't have, was down when we got there. I have no idea if it was simply mechanical or possibly related to the accident at Gronalund and doing extra inspections (we didn't find out about that until later) or what but they ended up opening it the last hour or so of operations. That was nice with the crowds and the fact that we wanted the ride and was a nice surprise that they kept the ride crew around and opened it up so late in the day. Also, since the event included ert on Goliath and TC from 9-9:45 they closed both lines early so they were cleared out for the ACE event, otherwise there would not have been any real ert. They were on top of if too because I saw two women unhook the chain across the entrance to Goliath after they closed it to get in line and they got booted right back out. There was a TON of security all over the park. The VIP DE lounge is awesome and had the best air conditioning in the park and actually had ice at the drink stations. We got some burgers at Johnny Rockets and took it in there to eat which was amazing and they were showing the Braves game on the smaller TV's  and the Karate Kid on the central TV (I'm guessing they maybe rotate some classic movies or something?)

If you need/want all the credits.................I would advise fastpass. If you are content to chill and just experience what you can then I would just prioritize your rides. 

I was there 4 years ago and got pretty much everything. I just happen to be heading out for a long weekend. I can't do Saturdays and Sundays at parks anymore, lol. Too impatient. But I was hoping maybe I could swing a weekdayish crowd on Friday. I know 7/3 will be insane.

• Like 1

Friday 6/30 was a total win except for Cyclone being down to one train when I arrived. The guy next to me said it was at two before the storm that had hit an hour earlier. So only one ride there, but many many rerides on Goliath and Superman, and the same potential on everything else, which I didn't actually feel the need to re-ride. A great day at the hilly ol' lady.

• 5 weeks later...

ZERO chance SFFT is removing Batman.

it's the centerpiece of DCUniverse. . and also the 1st S&S Freespin.   They ain't pulling it out.

but SFOG is most likely getting one. . it's one of the few SF parks without one, and the GP loves them.

(and y'all are getting a single rail already with Kid Flash. . . not to say that you won't get both, as SFFT has WW and now kid Flash.. both single rail. . . but odds are against you on that one)

3 hours ago, The username said:

Based on all the tweeting the park has been doing, what are we thinking for next year? I'm hoping for something launched or a single rail, that would be awesome. I'm afraid of getting batman from Fiesta Texas, I hate free spins.

Not to be Mr. Pessimism, but at the rate Six Flags is going, I'd say that, for 2024, every park is getting what they were told was new for 2023.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 10:56 AM, tndank said:

Solid reason to believe the box at Over Georgia is pointing to an Intamin Ultra Surf.  https://www.intamin.com/product/ultra-surf/

Specs match.  Locations match intamin offices, etc.  Looking very possible OG is getting this spinning launch coaster.

I will be A-OK with this, anything but a free spin. Should be a fun concept especially if they commit.

14 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Water ride for Atlanta heat. Plus its a launch and spinning coaster. Seems like a perfect fit 

If the park does indeed get an Ultra Surf model, hopefully it can operate as a dry ride during cooler weather.  This type of addition would fill multiple voids by bringing a launch coaster as well as a badly needed water attraction.  Fingers crossed....

This ride would definitely fill a few voids in the lineup (launched, spinning, water) and I'm happy to see Six Flags potentially work with Intamin again. Let's just hope they can keep this ride open and somewhat reliable. Intamin + Six Flags isn't exactly a winning combo for operational consistency.