TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

The photos that are widely available are of the park under water.

Those were not suppose to be public, but were posted on a photo hosting site by someone who did not know that they would explode all over the internet soon after.

They certainly were in big trouble when it happened. Lucky for everyone though, cause without that mistake the only photos anyone would have seen was the pictures taken from the news helicopters in the air.

Currently there are no sites that have photos from inside the park.

SFI has not released any photo of the park except for the recent photo of the carousel which was in a news story about it's former GM Terry Prather few days ago. Since it was made public i decided to share mine which is better quality and shows the whole ride instead of just a part of it.

As far as the other photos taken from inside while the park was flooded, they are here on TPR somewhere.

Don't worry, if you read a coaster site or two regularly as soon as pics show up you will see or hear about them. We always do!

Inspectors deemed MZ 40% structural damage.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I know I'm REALLY resurrecting a dead topic (What can I say it's near halloween and I'm practicing necromancy?). Anyone actually know what's going on here? I'd love to see some current pics of what's happening in there. But I fear for the worst. From what I've gathered there are negotiations going on for the release from the contract for SFNO.

No one knows, that's all we know. Six Flags HAS begun collecting insurance money on the park (as of June 2006) and will definitely collect $32.5 million, which was the estimated cost of damaged assets. In addition to that, they have already collected business interruption.

Screamscape has some recent pics of the park and it looks no different than when I last took a good look at it in January.

I find it interesting that Coke cans here have "CELEBRATE SIX FLAGS' 45th ANNIVERSARY" written on them though.

Why are they still marketing in a market they want to get out of and do they really expect marketing on cans will get people interested in driving around 500 miles away?

I saw the pics on Screamscape but there are only about 3 or 4 and they are of the main enterance sign to the access road. Nothing from inside the park recently. And they are celebrating SF's 45th year as a company not as the SFNO park itself. There are quite a few (Though mostly flailing) SF parks out there...

I know it's Six Flags celebrating their anniversary, but I was noting that there's not a Six Flags park within at least 470 miles. Which is well outside of Six Flags standard 300-mile radius marketing target area. Just found it weird that they are trying to market to a market they don't care for.

It's a good point but at the same time I don't know if the coke/pepsi ad campaign is really targetted for specific areas... I think they go out across the US maybe...

Correct, the Coke ad is just on all Coke cans.

They aren't marketing away from the target audience ALL coke cans in the US have those coupons and ads not just out there or down here or whatever. So they're marketing to the entire coke population not just in certain areas. They have no control how coke distributes the cans.

Absolutely nothing going on inside the park. If there was intent to return we would have been gutting out the buildings and cleaning up.

It looks, sits and deteriorates totally untouched just as it did the last day i worked in the park which was the last week of december 2005.That was also when i took about 200 photos from inside the park.

This should indicate the intention not to return, and they won't.

I was unofficially informed months ago SF won't be back.

I posted a photo here in the last month or so. Guess you can do a search for "mardi gras menagerie" to find it.

It is normal to wonder what will happen, along with everyone else.

I am telling you it aint comming back.

I would of thought most of the water had drained away by now, was the park build on re-claimed land or just in a swamp..?

It does look like the park will not open for some years and depends on what Six Flags want to do with the site and rides.

It's very sad for coasters to be SBNO at a young age.

The water was drained out round end of oct or beginning of nov 2005.

The rides are not re-hab-able. They were submerged in salt water which is extremely corosive. Add to that another year of deterioration. The top halves of rides which were not in water, but wind damaged, could be used for parts but that isn't much.

But the rides won't sell. They are only good for scrap metal.

The operational rides at astroworld were a hard sell and did not fetch much.

Why would anyone be interested in the destroyed rides at SFNO?

Besides for scrap metal.

Besides, employees and guests are no longer here to support an amusement park. The numbers won't be back for quite some years.

The city can't even get our City Park back up. They are asking and depending on people still here to donate time and money into it.

That's not completely true Sanguinius. There are coke botttling/"manufacturing" plants all over the US (I live right by one of them). This is also the reason why Six Flags markets for the actual park on the can most of the time. The old coke cans used to say "Six Flags New Orleans" and the coupons were only valid at Six Flags New Orleans and no other park. Jazzland also used to advertise on Coke cans. I have serious doubts Six Flags has a national advertising campaign with coke. Maybe they do and I just don't know, but they never used to.

• 1 month later...

what made me sad gotta be SFNO finally never to be back open

but for the scrap metals..... why SFNO would gonna get 'em

scrapped?! all rides there do not still show the age. they're still

like teen kids and gettin' scrapped means we gonna waste their

life?! poor SFNO..... that's not the SF way to sort problems out.

If they go through with selling it for scrap, it will be the only B&M to be not operational. Thanks SIx Flags for breaking the record

Ive been to this park and i have to say it has the best flats of any six flags. The coasters hurt, but they were o.k. The skycoaster was really fun and the log flume are still my favorite. The only downsides to the park would be the dizzy lizzy and the Jester.

This park won't open again because six flags is already in debt and if they try to restore it will drive them further into debt. But who knows, I could be wrong.

You have to also rememember that they could get assistance from the Feds and so they wouldn't have to pay for the entire restoration.

I think it's strange though that a year has gone by with not a word.

Due to substantial damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, Six Flags New Orleans

will remain closed for the 2006 season. The company is working with its insurance

carriers to assess the full extent of the damage and the size of its eventual insurance

recoveries. As all of us know, this is a difficult time for everyone in New Orleans,

and we're committed to working with the city in support of the recovery efforts.

^ This is what their website says.