TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Damn that sucks. It doesn't shock me, though.

To be honest, the way I've heard it has been running lately, is it almost better to put this one to rest and rebuild a new one of the park does in fact re-open?

--Robb "Hopefully the Gerstlaur trains are beyond repair too!" Alvey

Absolutely not true! They fixed the double up and the trains received an awesome rehab for the 2005 season. I would gather to say that Mega Zeph had been running the best since 2000 (assuming you didn't catch it on a bad day). Granted I have caught it on just a couple bad days this season and it's amazing how a ride can run so differently. However, for the most part is has been running really good and I thought the trains were tracking really well this year for Gerstlauers.

I am not totally surprised by this finding. However I am skeptical about saying it's damaged BEYOND repair. I think the ride for the most part is ok but the soil around the footers had bad erosion. But certainly in this day and age that can be fixed (see Shockwave at SFoT which had the same problem). I have driven around some of the areas covered by the flood waters and can say from a first hand look that the erosion everywhere is pretty bad. I looked at a storm drain next to a street and thought it looked really strange, very high and odd looking for a drain. Then I realized that all the soil and grass around the drain had been completely swept away.

However, that was around where a levee break was and where water was literally rushing through with force. Levees did not break in the New Orleans East area, water simply poured in over the levees. So perhaps the erosion isn't quite as bad. But there will be significant problems with the soil as the water sat so long.

Edit: Some important info. The claims that rides were shifted around and were taken off their footers is not true. Actually in some ways SFNO was spared from the absolute worst flooding that was found in the area. It was not as deep and not as forceful as many other areas. I don't believe you'll find any cars on top of buildings and such in New Orleans East.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Yo T !

I wasn't gonna steal SF NOT OPERATING from you.

I didn't even use it yet.

I just took a whole bunch of photos inside the park yesterday and today. If you all were close by i would show them to you.

Everyone talks about the water but some rides were destroyed by wind and flying debris.

Yo T !

I wasn't gonna steal SF NOT OPERATING from you.

I didn't even use it yet.

I just took a whole bunch of photos inside the park yesterday and today. If you all were close by i would show them to you.

Everyone talks about the water but some rides were destroyed by wind and flying debris.

Is that where that pic came from that you posted of that doll? I saw that and that is what I thought it was.

• 3 months later...

Regardless of some reports recently made on a local tv station that the park will rebuild and re open as quickly as possible, this statement is not official from the park.

The last official statement from Six Flags in the last few weeks is

"It could go either way".

Meaning the park may come back or the park may not come back.

Basically, like the rest of New Orleans, the park flooded when Katrina hit. The flooding caused damage to much of the buildings, rides, etc. I've heard that staffing is a problem, and also the fact that not many tourists would visit the park with the current state of New Orleans.

Basically, like the rest of New Orleans, the park flooded when Katrina hit. The flooding caused damage to much of the buildings, rides, etc. I've heard that staffing is a problem, and also the fact that not many tourists would visit the park with the current state of New Orleans.

yes, well, that's like going to an amusement park in a 3rd world country

I really can't see Six Flags wanting to rebuild the park. Everything would pretty much have to be rebuilt from scratch. I also can't see too many people in New Orleans actually WANTING to go to an amusement park yet, they've got other things to worry about. Then again, maybe a day away from it all wouldn't be such a bad thing. If the park did come back, I'd suspect it won't be "finished", just opening with a coaster or 2 and a few flats, and build on from there. Only time will tell.

Just curious, How damaged is their Batman:The Ride? I assume it was damaged by the flooding, but was it damaged beyond repair?

As far as rides go, if they want to rebuild quickly they could always just relocate Astroworlds coasters and flats.

Batman the ride probably fared best as it is so high up and all steel.

The control room and spare parts went under but the rest of the ride is in good shape.

Megazeph control room went under but the trains and stuff stayed high above the water. Since the structure and track are mixed steel and wood they did not fare as well as batman. If you are at the pullout of the first drop looking up at the straightaway the track is wavy. Other low sections of track were completely submerged for over a month. What i really look forward to if SFNO comes back is to ride a completely retracked Megazeph.

^If there is 1 good thing Katrina could have done, it is forcing a retracking of MegaZeph. If there was 2 good things she could have done, the second would have been destroying the Gerstlauer trains, resulting in SF purchasing PTCs for the coaster. Then it'd jump in the polls for certain!

Sadly, as of now, Katrina has done no good.

I'm going to be somewhat selfish here, so apologies if it seems offensive.

But I'm just a bit upset that my hella awesome plan to buy six flags passes this year and hit four in one trip has been reduced to a two park trip. Astroworld and New Orleans in just a few months time....

I realize how bad off New Orleans is, believe me -- hit any of the major tourist spots now, and you'll notice just how hard up the city is for business. I can definitely see why Six Flags might just cut their losses and get out. Seriously, with all the damage it'd cost a fortune to get the park back up into peak shape. And for what? The present economy of the city certainly couldn't support it. Will it in the near future? I couldn't imagine.

So I feel bad for all that's happened in New Orleans, and the city still needs a lot of work... but damnit, I'm still upset that my awesome mega trip has been so utterly castrated.

The park it self is in ok condition, its the area in general thats the problem, New Orleans has lost 4/5 of its population, its a case of where will they get the staff from and who's going to visit?

seriously?! 4/5 of it's population?!?!