TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hidden treasures/left overs

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed while I was at KD this past summer what looked like a log flume trough at the base of Volcano's "mountain" structure. When I got home I looked it up and found that it used to be some haunted log flume ride.

That's correct. The station for the old Smurf train ride was also located in that mountain. You can see it all clearly from Avalanche's lifthill.

This maybe somewhat well known but, on Revenge of the Mummy in Orlando there is a little golden statuette of King Kong in the room with the treasure and warrior mummies(and fire!).

I did not know that actually, when I go next I will make sure to check that out. Is it on the left or right side?

-There are still a few Laser Loop footers under the lift hill of the Phantom's Revenge.

-There used to be a mini golf course under the Phantom until 2002. When the Phantom was built, some of its holes were removed, and the exit was made through a tunnel the course had. Now, the Phantom's exit is in Lost Kennywood, but the tunnel is still used for employee access.

-Even though the entirety of the Turnpike's track was removed for Sky Rocket, the full length of the loading platform is still in place, complete with street lamps, the old entrance gate, and "EXIT" painted on the ground.

-The King Kahuna area was left largely as is. The fountain beneath the ride was kept, as was the entire queue, including the tunnel through the concrete volcano. What appear to be planters are actually clever disguises for the footers.

There's more at Kennywood, but I think I've covered the most interesting stuff, so here's stuff I know of at other parks.

-The dip on Waldameer's Whacky Shack is smaller than it used to be. When you look at the facade, you can see how it used to be, since the design on the wall only comes up to the old track.

-If I'm not mistaken, at Kings Island, a large amount of footers from King Kobra are still standing, particularly to the rear of the ride near Adventure Express.

-I think I once saw a picture of track from the old Smurf Mountain ride at Kings Dominion, half-buried in concrete from the transformation to Volcano.

-At Cedar Point, part of the White Water Landing trough can still be seen leading into the former loading station, which is now a queue house for Maverick.

-Of course, there is the infamous Pirate dark ride building to the left of the Blue Streak station.

-At both Cedar Point and Hersheypark, a station of a former Skyride still stands.

-The dip on Waldameer's Whacky Shack is smaller than it used to be. When you look at the facade, you can see how it used to be, since the design on the wall only comes up to the old track.

Funny you say that. Last year for the ride's 40th anniversary the park hung some historic articles and photos along the line. That looked to be a crazy little drop.

Here's a few from Geauga Lake:

- Under the SLC's first drop were the remains of a dock. In the 70s the park had a Paddlewheel Excursions-esque ride in the lake. The ride was removed in the 80s but the props remained into the 90s and the dock never left.

- When the park was turned into Six Flags they built some new gift shops in the front area. They simply built around the former midway buildings and you could see them on the ferris wheel.

- When the log flume opened it had animals that popped out at you as you went along the course. Over the years they fell into disrepair and were removed, except for a single little raccoon. Up until the park closed he was still propped up so you could see him.

On the Beast at Kings Island if you look real closely you can see these little electro magnetic brake devices on the first second and third drop as well as the first long brake shed, before those were installed there used to be a real kick ass unique out of control wooden coaster ride.

At Cedar Point on the western side of the park somewhere between Mantis and Maverick supposedly there is Top 5 Quality steel coaster built by Intamin but I can never seem to find it All I can ever find is a really tall and fast yet pretty boring coaster with no airtime

^Beast has always had brakes in those places, they were just skid brakes instead of magnetic. They probably didn't slow the ride down quite as much, but they were always there. Even in the old Kings Island documentary, they said they rode the ride once without the skid brakes and immediately added them afterward because they knew it was going way too fast. You can see them in this POV.

^Beast has always had brakes in those places, they were just skid brakes instead of magnetic. They probably didn't slow the ride down quite as much, but they were always there. Even in the old Kings Island documentary, they said they rode the ride once without the skid brakes and immediately added them afterward because they knew it was going way too fast. You can see them in this POV.

Yeah I know the skids were always there but not quite like they are after the magnetics were put in, not even close to the same ride experience as before. Those "skid trims" didn't alter the pace of the ride like the magnetics do. In fact those skids on the first and before the second drop you could barley even feel. Same thing with the drop after the second lift right before the double helix, the old style trims were barely there at best. The skids in the long brake shed slowed the train down a little bit but didn't bring the ride to a near stop like the magnetics do now. Point is the ride as is now isn't even close to the ride it used to be after the magnetic trims were installed. I don't think anyone can argue with that. Compare that POV to one taken recently and you'll see the difference.

edit: and Millennium Force is still overrated

Kennywood - Carved dragons that adorned the Old Mill boats are used as decorations on a restaurant facade within the park.

This building to be exact.

Also if I'm not mistaken (I could be), at Waldameer, didn't the picnic pavilion that's right next to RFII's entrance used to be the original station for the old Ravine Flyer?

You can see part of it in the right side of this picture.

^ That is correct.

Six Flags St. Louis has its drunken barrels ride left rotting right in the middle of the park, across from the mine ride. Speaking of which the building next to River King Mine rides station is the old station and storage house for the dueling half of the ride. The current River King Mine Ride storage track area also has clearly had the building that was attached to it removed. I have no idea when this happend but it is evident by the wooden posts surrounding the transfer track.

Six Flags Great America has also re-used Deja Vu's old entrance sign as Buccaneer Battles sign.

3901599933_40ea971b43.jpg.4356feee604599b54686a598d5b8c303.jpg

sfgam55.jpg.ab956bbd8e2add3ea21df78e0941359e.jpg

At Cedar Point, the Convention Center back behind Joe Cool Cafe has a smaller shell of a room within the old original room. The room was added I believe so that they could add air conditioning and sprinkler system without having to do too much work to the original building.

1576459150_Clean-up066(800x600).jpg.aeb2f4f7e40ecbc796678ecd0ac97304.jpg

Here is the Convention Center. This is upstairs.

2019616857_Clean-up059(800x600).jpg.9b896bba28c5dc0c0f4f10ce301ccb4c.jpg

This is outside the room and looking above it. You can see the old rafters.

1648193648_Clean-up061(800x600).jpg.dc79932575514ef9b7dfe26d9b029da2.jpg

Here is Zingoman in the old space. There is quite a bit of room in the side areas. To the left is outside while the wood to the right is the wall of the inner room.

I believe (SF Great America fans, correct me if I'm wrong) but the former Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyer station across from Fiddler's Fling still stands but is now a funnel cake or some other food vender place now.

And how could I have forgotten, the largest standout left-over treasure at CGA: The Pictorium. Building is still all intact, as well as all of the paths leading up to it. I think the screen's still all in place too as well as the curtains, not sure if I saw the screen or not when walking through Club Blood.

I believe (SF Great America fans, correct me if I'm wrong) but the former Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyer station across from Fiddler's Fling still stands but is now a funnel cake or some other food vender place now.

You would be correct!

Also at Six Flags Great America, there's a cool model on display at Carousal Gifts from the Mariott days. Rue Le Dodge is the world's largest bumper cars. I believe CGA has the same one, except their's has an island in the middle technically making the one at SFGAm bigger.

This may be considered common knowledge.....but....the El Toro station at Great Adventure is the same station from Viper.

They also share the same sign!

Some more:

SFNE- the first aid (near the Tomahawk ride) has lots of old maps. Kinda neat to check out.

La Ronde- Near Le Boomerang there is the old skyride station, now used for storage. Does anyone know where the other station was/is?

SFGADV- From Bizarro I believe you can see the old top to the Super Teepee. You can see it from the brake run, right before the turn in the brake run.

This maybe somewhat well known but, on Revenge of the Mummy in Orlando there is a little golden statuette of King Kong in the room with the treasure and warrior mummies(and fire!).

I did not know that actually, when I go next I will make sure to check that out. Is it on the left or right side?

Left side of the car! Also you can still see some of the old Kong Ride Track! (I only saw it one time when I got Evac on the ride....but the track is still there!)

As much I hate to say it.....The Wizarding World of Harry Potter uses the Old Dueling Dragons Queue and Re-uses the rides Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn (Under Different names)