TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster should get the next Rocky Mountain treatment?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a hybrid, but the wood/steel description refers to the track. The reason that topper track coasters (regardless of the material of the structure) are being argued over is that the track is literally both. There is a traditional wood stack, but the upper layer is steel.

All wooden coaster tracks are like that. Wooden coasters pretty much run on steel strips that are supported by wooden beams, so technically Topper track is a variation of that.

would be weird to make a loop or an corkscrew from the rocky mountain coaster company perfect for our Amercian Eagle of great america.

As was said before, American Eagle is a classic ride that still runs great and is still very popular. It needs nothing from Rocky Mountain Coasters ATM, and would never need a loop or corkscrew. With new regulations set in place by the city since the ride was built, I'm not sure if they could even make such drastic changes to it.

By far, Stampida is the roughest roller coaster that I've ever been on. That said, I think something like that could be fine with some topper track and/ or new or rebuilt trains. Similar for older classic rides to retain some history if they really are that rough.

Iron horse treatment? Agree that it best used as a way to save a wooden coaster that may have been designed too aggressively to be a wooden coaster with fantastic layouts. Voyage and Hades are the first that come to mind.

It is a hybrid, but the wood/steel description refers to the track. The reason that topper track coasters (regardless of the material of the structure) are being argued over is that the track is literally both. There is a traditional wood stack, but the upper layer is steel.

All wooden coaster tracks are like that. Wooden coasters pretty much run on steel strips that are supported by wooden beams, so technically Topper track is a variation of that.

Looks like to me, wood coasters have steel wheels. Steel coasters have rubber wheels. Odd, but simple.

Is it just me, Or do CCI coasters not hold up well over time? Or nearly every wood coaster built in the 90's.

It's not just you. CCI/Gravity Group has a pretty horrible track record with their larger rides becoming terribly rough after 5-10 years. The only rides with 100+ft drops that seem to have held up are their terrain coasters (i,e, Boulder Dash and Legend). I'm not even sure Boulder Dash counts, since GCI did re-tracking and re-profiling.

Is it just me, Or do CCI coasters not hold up well over time? Or nearly every wood coaster built in the 90's.

It's not just you. CCI/Gravity Group has a pretty horrible track record with their larger rides becoming terribly rough after 5-10 years. The only rides with 100+ft drops that seem to have held up are their terrain coasters (i,e, Boulder Dash and Legend). I'm not even sure Boulder Dash counts, since GCI did re-tracking and re-profiling.

I've noticed that most terrain coasters aren't nearly as bumpy. I think most of the "bumpiness" has to do with all the vibrations through the support structure. When I was riding the Jack Rabbit(92) @KennyWood Park, I noticed the ride was the smoothest when It was near ground level. It seems the higher you go, the more pain.

Topper track is the best solution BY FAR to fix these issues with all these wooden coasters.

• 2 weeks later...
I've only seen a few people mention Hades, but I'll go with Hades.

If you mean topper track, I'm all for it, but the layout looks insane enough already, no need for Iron Horse!

Fair enough, no need to change the layout, it was Top 10 material opening year.

• 1 month later...

I have said it before and I will say it again, Gwazi hands down should get the RMC treatment. Right now, they only have one side open. They could do the remodel and have both sides running. Think about the layout and how crazy RMC could make it. Not to mention, this would make all of BGT's coasters great.

gwazi4.jpg.4a8e528724d4c8538ec6714f8b87b051.jpg

RMC would probably do an awesome high five element among other crazy things

bump

I thought the point of the Rocky Mountain treatment was to avoid bumps.

More like bolts

Anyways my list of coasters that should get some sort of RMC treatment are:

Georgia Cyclone: would like to see them finish the rest of the layout.

Ghostrider: topper track would be nice unless they want to make it something new and market from that.

Colossus: its only a matter of time before they redo the coaster into something gimmicky but hey at least it will have air time.

Beast: would be cool if they used topper track to give the Beast more speed thought out the course.

^Gwazi: as a steel (hybrid) coaster would be awesome and you can't go wrong with a GICT or high five element!

• 3 months later...