TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What GCI coaster has the most airtime?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many will disagree with me, but I think EK and Roar are the clear winners. The former has air that really surprised me, and Roar has the best "pops" of air during the last half of the ride. Of course as you mentioned, it's all relative because GCIs are rather tame, fun coasters. But those two stand out for me.

(Not including any CCI coasters)

CCI became Gravity Group. They don't have any relation to GCI.

That being said, I find GCI's are more about laterals and direction changes. They don't normally have strong airtime like other wooden coasters. They tend to have more of like whiplash type airtime. Kind of like the small little hopes that OzCat has at the end.

Prowler, hands down. I've been on Roar West, Evel Knievel, Lightning Racer, Wildcat, Kentucky Rumbler, Terminator. Prowler is just insane, especially in the dark. It is non-stop action from the top of the lift til the brake run which today was 39 seconds. I've counted 16 points of airtime on this coaster. Pretty good when you consider the Voyage has 20. Definitely the best paced GCI, though all are pretty good at this. Roar West, Eve Knievel, and Wildcat also have great airtime. But Prowler hands down, in my opinion and riding experience.

Roar! was mentioned...were you talking about Roar! West or East? I've not ridden East, and I've heard better things about West. I also know that Roar! East uses PTC trains vs. the very first Millennium Flyers on West.

Eric

That being said, I find GCI's are more about laterals and direction changes. They don't normally have strong airtime like other wooden coasters. They tend to have more of like whiplash type airtime. Kind of like the small little hopes that OzCat has at the end.

The remaining designers that left for gravity group formed GCI. I know my facts, and I just made sure on wiki.

The remaining designers that left for gravity group formed GCI. I know my facts, and I just made sure on wiki.

Some of GCII's designers worked for CCI in the early years, but left very early (You can tell they designed Outlaw at Adventureland). Mike Boodley & Co. formed GCII while CCI was still in business. For years both GCII and CCI were making coasters simultaneously. When CCI went out of business, Denise Dinn/Larrik (owner of CCI and daughter of Charles Dinn) went and worked for S&S's woodies while the 4 other designers (including Larry Bill) went on to form TGG.

I have been on most of their coasters in the US and I would say Lightning Racer and Thunderhead have the best start to finish airtime intheir categories (O&B/Racer and twister). I totally disagree about Terminator and Renegade. They are good coasters but not their best. Kentucky Rimbler and Wildcat at Celebration City are both great small coasters.

The fact is, I would put almost any GCII coaster up against anyone who build true wooden coasters (wood supporting a wooden track). Boodley is a tremendous designer. Pike has done very well in his stead.

Of the ones I have been on....

Roar East, Roar West, Prowler, Thunderhead, Kentucky Rumbler, Gwazi, Lightning Racer, Wildcat, Ozark Wildcat, and Evel Knievel...I would have to go with Prowler (front of the train) to have the most. Thunderhead has been my favorite of the GCIs but I havent been on it in 4 years to compare. Evel Knievel was surprisingly good and Ky Rumbler was the one I didn't get what the fuss was about. Anyway, the question was about airtime and i'll give it to Prowler.

• 1 year later...

Lots!

American Thunder: Notable airtime all over the course in all seats, but especially the front.

Decent amount

Renegade: Nothing too extreme, but plenty satisfying nonetheless.

Roar (SFDK): Good mixture of mild and semi-intense airtime, though the roughness makes it hard to handle at times.

Prowler: The most intense moments of any GCI I've ridden, though its wildness comes from more than just airtime!

A little

Lightning Racer: Practically none in the back, one pop in the front. Good thing it races or it wouldn't be good at all!

Apocalypse: A bit at the beginning, then nothing of note. Not sure if it's improved lately or just not made for airtime.

None!

Wildcat: I sat in and near the back a number of times and never felt any. I'm still strangely drawn to the ride, though.