TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I REALLY think this is going to break the inversion record now, and as Dan suggested, 14 is probably a figure they'd go for. I can't see them adding 11 or 12, it's too close to the current record and a 12-inverter has already been designed, just not constructed yet.

Does anyone think there could be a deal in place for them to agree to not build a ride with more inversions for X number of years? I realise Intamin or someone else could break the record if they wished, but in the current climate I suggest that Gerts are a favourable option in terms of how much ride you get for your money.

It's all speculation of course, but so much of the aura surrounding this reminds me of the Oblivion marketing and construction campaign - highly secretive and conventionally record-breaking.

As far as I am aware, the washing machine idea is complete garbage.

I agree although if Alton Towers or another park in the future did it they could just adjust it for more inversions as time goes on to hold the record. They need to pull 3 more inversions to break the world record which I'm not sure they can pull off. Hopefully we will see another great and unique ride come from AT though.

The washing machine seems like a cool idea to add to the theming of the ride.

The idea of a graphic spinning while riders are being rotated by the washing machine sounds like the worst idea in human history. Do they actually want guests to get sick while they're riding the coaster?

I just don't know how to interpret that element. It seems like that would make an inversion record a lot more meaningless if you had to do 5, most likely less thrilling, consecutive flips inside of the contraption. I don't really know what will end up happening, but I just don't see a park proudly marketing a '14 inversion coaster' with a gimmick like this in place.

Surely if it is going to have an element like that they cannot claim it to have that many inversions. Surely just being rotated upside down inside that is not classed as an inversion. I realise it would fully go upsidedown but I do think it's a bit on the edge of the claim.

I really hope it doesn't end up being something like that. You'll start by hurtling around the main track doing inversions and then flung into that contraption to be rotated around a few times just to up the upside down count.

Anyway, Don't want to knock it before i've seen it and ridden it so we'll see what comes of this as I know Alton can pull a great ride out of the bag from time to time!

Edited by rctneil

News from http://www.towersstreet.com today is that Oblivion is to have a full track repaint for the 2013 season, and that the scare maze 'The Sanctuary' will return for a short run in March, to compliment the new rollercoaster! Awesome news.

There's a full article: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/x-sector-due-for-makeover-and-sanctuary-to-return/

^Still, it's kind of what we expect from Merlin. I mean, wasn't it even just last year that we were getting fake new reports of The Swarm decapitating water dummies during testing?

This looks like a great ride, and I LOVE Alton Towers... but lets be realistic in setting some pretty low standards for their marketing campaigns. Honestly, they are so bad that I really look forward to them. I would be disappointed if they DON'T blow this way out of proportion!

The thing is, as much as 'you might expect that of Merlin' and it's true that each of their parks in the UK has served up some questionable PR over the years, each park is run entirely seperately - and has their own marketing director with their own team.

^Still, it's kind of what we expect from Merlin. I mean, wasn't it even just last year that we were getting fake new reports of The Swarm decapitating water dummies during testing?

This looks like a great ride, and I LOVE Alton Towers... but lets be realistic in setting some pretty low standards for their marketing campaigns. Honestly, they are so bad that I really look forward to them. I would be disappointed if they DON'T blow this way out of proportion!

^ Not decapitated, but amputated arms and legs. But Even I see them doing this element and say it is 4 inversions. Good news they're make Oblivion shiny again along side the new SW.

Edited by RCT3Bross

they're make Oblivion shiny again

Where did you here this? I've been following AT but haven't seen anything about Oblivion getting some new love.

Also, regarding the whole 'washing machine' element, I think we can discard that idea. While some people might find it good, the GP will probably puke their guts out on a regular basis, not to mention how it'll impact the service rate of the coaster. 4-5 rotations of track would be somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute (afaik), with buffer time for checking the track is aligned correctly before and after, will make the total time around 1-1.5 minutes. Not much, but enough to have a pretty serious effect on dispatch times unless the crew are on top form all day, every day.

My personal idea is far-fetched, but I think it fits better than the current favorite idea. To explain my idea, first take a look at the 'Ministry of Joy' logo:

Now look really close at the 'eyes' of the smile. Notice that each eye is formed from 4 strands, in the shape of a barrel/heartline roll. We also know that the trains seat 4 rows of 4 people.

Far-Fetched Idea: Each car is a single row of 4, joined by an electromagnetic coupling. The signature element involves each car seperating and going through its' respective inversion (possibly a different one for each row?) before joining back up and continuing onwards. Insane to be sure, but how else do you explain the 'strand' pattern in the logo, as well as the world's firsts/record breaking that is being touted by AT advertising? The 'washing machine' doesn't fit the teasers we've been given thus far, although this alternative is even more unbelievable than someone actually thinking 13's advertising was a good idea...

This would also grant the ride the inversion record, as while you would only experience 9 or 10 inversions per ride, the records are calculated by track inversions. That's why Eejanika (however it's spelled) holds the record with 14 even though you don't experience 14; 14 is number of track inversions plus number of 360 spins by the seats. If there are 2 duplicates of this element (hence 2 eyes in the logo) that would make 4+4+8 = 16 inversions minimum, and as no park in the world would be delightfully insane enough to design, yet alone build a coaster that would actually go through 16 inversions, the record is pretty much in AT's hands for all of time.

For this:

they're make Oblivion shiny again

Where did you here this? I've been following AT but haven't seen anything about Oblivion getting some new love.

for all of time.

I head back to this:

News from http://www.towersstreet.com today is that Oblivion is to have a full track repaint for the 2013 season, and that the scare maze 'The Sanctuary' will return for a short run in March, to compliment the new rollercoaster! Awesome news.

There's a full article: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/x-sector-due-for-makeover-and-sanctuary-to-return/

And Quote this:

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something that many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for, for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to be getting attention over the closed season.

So what I understand is that we get a Paint job for Oblivion for next year. It's always great when they giving a coaster a nice fresh coat of paint once in a while.

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something that many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for, for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to be getting attention over the closed season.

So what I understand is that we get a Paint job for Oblivion for next year. It's always great when they giving a coaster a nice fresh coat of paint once in a while.

For Merlin parks its a miracle most of their coasters tend to look like they need a lick of paint.

428981_10151440825068185_2135245315_n.jpg

Posted on TTF's Facebook!

Exciting stuff.

I can't see if it's a corkscrew before the secret element or not. But I'm guessing the washing machine element is going to happen.

I love the crossing inversions they look sweet.

Edited by RCT3Bross