TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I loved the intense laterals and I feel like wooden coasters with good laterals are hard to come by anymore, so I hope the new banking doesn't take away from that too much. My boyfriend didn't like The Legend that much with endless laterals but I thought that was what made it so great.

I am still totally excited about the double down and tunnel though!

The problem with a lot of the flat turns are the PTCs would ride wheelies on them a lot, which means the upstop wheels were acting as the primary running wheels for those cars!

And I think this is what GCI is trying to fix. I think there will still be laterals in those turns, but most definitely not as intense. When I heard that GCI was doing the refurb I actually had the thought that they might reprofile those last three turns to give them the famous GCI bam-bam airtime as they would seem to be prime candidates. I'm really interested to see how this turns out.

Yeah, there aren't very many wooden coasters that are about the laterals anymore. I guess they're just going out of style?

I'm a total curves guy, I love my laterals. Even if it's over an annoying seat divider... which can be odd, I guess, if you're not used to it. My other point of view is that B&M and GCI are making wimps out of people, when it comes to coasters. People used to love a REAL roller coaster ride.

Count me as bummed GCI is doing the work. Understood/accepted, but still have an opinion.

Can't please everyone I guess.

GCI is re-tracking a good portion of the ride from the track up (so it'll ride nearly brand new), no ledgers or anything. They are ADDING a double down (awesome) and reprofiling what I liked to call the turn of death before the station. This thing will still be a lateral machine, minus a kind of boring straightaway and an awful turn. Plus it'll be smooth. Trying to find the negative in all this, but other than not needing to brace myself during night rides before the second last turn I'm not seeing a while lot.

I think all of this sounds great. Laterals are fun, but the times I've ridden the Legend they have been rather brutal, bordering on not fun. The Four Corners in particular was pretty rough.

That being said, I really don't think there is a way to re-profile this ride and take a lot away from the lats. It is how the layout is. I think smoothing out some of the laterals will add HUGE benefit to the ride and look forward to seeing it when it is done.

I don't think the naysayers will be as disappointed as they think they will be.

David

I personally found the Legend painful on the last four corners at the end, but other than that I loved it. I can say though that everyone I have ever seen on the Legend from school trips or church or any others, they found it way too painful at the end. I think that if they repofile the turns at the end to where they aren't as harsh, no one in the GP would complain.

My other point of view is that B&M and GCI are making wimps out of people, when it comes to coasters. People used to love a REAL roller coaster ride.

You have your cause and effect switched... You make it sound like people (read: generations of park guests) never change and that manufactures are forcing customers to change....which is completely backwards.

In other news; It looks like the changes we've seen from the photo above literally only changes the last 5 seconds of the ride, and we have no idea if these changes are positive or negative. Kleenex is running low on product from all the whining going on.

It's one thing to be interested and enthused (as such we are enthusiasts) but to bicker and complain about something that none of us have experienced yet, is gross. Speculate, sure, but how about we support a park willing to keep their rides evolving rather than sending them straight to the trash pile for the next mass produced crowd-tickler.

Now...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

How about that former Sparkler spot??

Anyone catch this on the latest (2/2/2016) HoliBlog post?

Meanwhile, we open for the season in just over 11 weeks. That means we need to go around the World in 80 days getting ready for our 70th Birthday season!

Interesting usage of the Jules Verne title. New clue? Hot air balloons? Maybe this?

^Great catch! Holiday World also recently tweeted, "I've found it's easier to just click "add to dictionary" a lot this time of year," which almost certainly means something else new is coming. And don't forget the, "Should we put it here...or here?" post from late last year.

I'd say a Zamperla Samba Tower (or something very similar to what you posted above) is a pretty safe bet after that last hint.

http://www.zamperla.com/products/samba-tower/#!

A lot of people are probably going to really dig the changes. I'm glad they're giving this ride some attention. I just liked it the way it was. I don't like having to sound whiny or ungrateful, I'm not. I'm super grateful I got the chance to ride it last season. And maybe the changes will be a net positive, who knows. But clearly what made the ride so unique is changing.

Yeah, there aren't very many wooden coasters that are about the laterals anymore. I guess they're just going out of style?

Well, Schilke said he wants to bring laterals back, so at least we'll have that.

A lot of people are probably going to really dig the changes. I'm glad they're giving this ride some attention. I just liked it the way it was. I don't like having to sound whiny or ungrateful, I'm not. I'm super grateful I got the chance to ride it last season. And maybe the changes will be a net positive, who knows. But clearly what made the ride so unique is changing.

Well, Schilke said he wants to bring laterals back, so at least we'll have that.

I'd say people generally don't like strong lateral forces, as they do tend to be a bit uncomfortable. However, the RMCs do a great job at making lateral forces enjoyable and thrilling, I definitely hope to see more coasters built with these moments.

Here is a screenshot of the sounds available! They have the bell chime from The Legend!!! Heck yes!!!!!!! Several versions of the Thunderbird theme as well! You can also go ahead and subscribe to the podcast today! This is freakin AWESOME! THANK YOU Holiday World!!!!! It's like Christmas in February!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455236383.685568.jpg.9f0452b2fdb836550a38cde15ee03b79.jpg

Paula, is there anyway you guys might be able put the howling sound at the top of The Legend's lift up for download? I'm working on a Legend Reborn No Limits 2 recreation and would like to use the bell and howling sound bits in the video if you guys don't mind. Once I can see more of how the construction is going to go (mostly the double down at this point), it should be done.

I also think it would be cool if you guys put the message (Is that the correct term?) that plays before you dispatch on The Voyage.

"And now its time to sail away, your voyage begins without delay"

That's always stuck with me for some reason. I can only imagine it's implanted in the brains of the ride-ops who've worked the ride over the years.

I have been saying for a few years that I want The Legend howl as my text ringtone. I hope they add it to the list. But either way I am excited about the podcasts and love the ringtones they have made available so far!

I am hoping they have some nostalgic things planned for the podcast and around the park for their 70th season. Like maybe displaying a restored Freedom Train coach. If they have any other old rides in storage it would be cool to have a displays of cars from other retired rides. Or maybe just some signs around the park showing what used to be there.

So, I couldn't stand them not having any ratings or reviews yet on the podcast section of iTunes so I went ahead and rated/reviewed them as I know already it will be awesome! Can't believe I was the first to rate/review! I guess since they haven't actually RELEASED a podcast yet, lol. Geez I'm such a HW fanboy its ridiculous. Sorry for geeking out like a little school girl about this. But just a reminder to those of you who will end up enjoying the podcast to rate and review for them!