TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^I agree it will most likely be a water park addition and it will probably go right in that spot since they expanded the water park out that way. I love the park but I will admit they have terribly awkward growing pains with the water park right now. The process of getting to the new slides is kind of ridiculous and the crossover with Thanksgiving is just so awkward. I know they have long term plans, I just am anxious to see how they remedy the cohesive flow of the park.

I still wanna see Holiday World transform Frightful Falls into a haunted house dark ride/log flume combo, that would be awesome. Add a multi layer indoor section after the tunnel with another lift and a drop and some animatronics and fun dark ride elements, it would be great!

There is a chance I might be going to Holiday World during the second week of June. Two questions:

1) How large should the crowds be?

2) Recommendations for any decent hotels within 20 minutes of the park?

There is a chance I might be going to Holiday World during the second week of June. Two questions:

I don't know how crowds will be as the only time I was there was the week after Forth of July this year. I can say though that it was not crowded in the theme park at all during that time. The waterpark on the otherhand was packed (as I assume it always is.) I assume that the second week of June should be fine.

I recommend Baymont Inn and Suites in Dale Indiana. Very good hotel

I still wanna see Holiday World transform Frightful Falls into a haunted house dark ride/log flume combo, that would be awesome. Add a multi layer indoor section after the tunnel with another lift and a drop and some animatronics and fun dark ride elements, it would be great!

I really hope they do this as well. Of course, they won't make it too scary, but it would be really interesting to see what they come up with.

1.) The crowds should be very manageable. The only rides that will pull big lines will be Thunderbird, Mammoth, and Wildebeest...Mammoth more than Wildebeest. I've seen Mammoth pull a 25-30 min wait when it was 60 degrees out with 20 mph wind gusts. That ride is VERY popular among the gp.

2.) Honestly, Jasper is probably the best option out of all the towns surrounding Santa Claus. It's about 30 mins outside of HW. I would recommend the Days Inn. I haven't had one bad stay there.

I love this idea! Haunted sawmill anyone? I've always thought the Halloween section needed a haunted house and this would fit quite nicely.

The one thing I'm not sure about is who the heck on their staff has enough time for producing a podcast! I mean all the likely people are already extremely busy people.

Slackers all: Matt, Lauren and Leah. Plus me as wrangler. None of us truly has time to spare, but we really want to do this. We'll bring in others from our staff and occasionally industry partners, too.

When I was there two summers ago, Club TPR offered ticket discounts as well as a hefty discount on Santa's Lodge... it is a very average hotel, but the rate justified the experience. I imagine regular priced rooms there are not worth it.

Converting the ride into an partial dark ride would do wonders for it! I would think the theme would better suit traversing through the woods after dark, or maybe the sawmill idea posed above (or both ).

Converting the ride into an partial dark ride would do wonders for it! I would think the theme would better suit traversing through the woods after dark, or maybe the sawmill idea posed above (or both ).

There is also the option to build a second, more modern Log Ride and incorporating those ideas into that. And it is not that far fetched of an idea for HW to have a second log ride. It could be placed somewhere where you could queue for it from both the dry park and the water park, similar to how PP was done.

I'm pretty sure that they're removing most of the structure from the bottom of the drop on The Legend. It's hard to tell as the camera either has a really bad glare from the sun or it needs to be wiped off. It also looks like they've started adding some new catwalks on the turn by the stairs going into the station.

There is also the option to build a second, more modern Log Ride and incorporating those ideas into that. And it is not that far fetched of an idea for HW to have a second log ride. It could be placed somewhere where you could queue for it from both the dry park and the water park, similar to how PP was done.

It would be great if HW got a more modern log flume.

^...Not what I was hoping to see.

A lot of people are probably going to really dig the changes. I'm glad they're giving this ride some attention. I just liked it the way it was. I don't like having to sound whiny or ungrateful, I'm not. I'm super grateful I got the chance to ride it last season. And maybe the changes will be a net positive, who knows. But clearly what made the ride so unique is changing.

A lot of people are probably going to really dig the changes. I'm glad they're giving this ride some attention. I just liked it the way it was. I don't like having to sound whiny or ungrateful, I'm not. I'm super grateful I got the chance to ride it last season. And maybe the changes will be a net positive, who knows. But clearly what made the ride so unique is changing.

Yeah, there aren't very many wooden coasters that are about the laterals anymore. I guess they're just going out of style?

The one thing I'm not sure about is who the heck on their staff has enough time for producing a podcast! I mean all the likely people are already extremely busy people.

Slackers all: Matt, Lauren and Leah. Plus me as wrangler. None of us truly has time to spare, but we really want to do this. We'll bring in others from our staff and occasionally industry partners, too.

Ha, there is no way ever you could convince me the 4 of you are slackers at anything, lol, but nice try Paula! Anyway, this REALLY excites me! Any idea when we might see the first podcast arrive?

Yeah, there aren't very many wooden coasters that are about the laterals anymore. I guess they're just going out of style?

A lot of the late 90's CCIs avoided the use of ledgers as much as possible I've noticed. So, keeping the turns flat meant you could get away with only one ledger. I think the Legend actually had no y-ledgers prior to this modification, which is pretty amazing really. The ledger is the most expensive single piece of wood on a coaster, so by reducing them as much as possible, it cuts down on material costs. The problem with a lot of the flat turns are the PTCs would ride wheelies on them a lot, which means the upstop wheels were acting as the primary running wheels for those cars!