TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm looking forward to seeing how these 5 car trains move around the track. I must say that I didn't expect B&M to have to reduce the number of cars like that (I thought 6, maybe 7). But then, looking at other LSM rides they all seem to have trains no bigger than these.

The layout looks good. It'll be interesting to see what the pacing will be like. If anything, I expected the ride to be a little longer but that's fine by me.

They still can fit 1, 140 people on this world. Sorry Cedar Point, but this is better.

^ I know, the theoretical capacity still is good. It's just that they look so tiny and cute going round the track compared to normal 7-8 car B&M trains.

Oh, one more thing, I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I doubt that twisted airtime hill they called S curve will be as snappy as it looks in the POV.

Am I the only one that doesn't get the theme, the colors or the setting for this coaster?

Now, I get that the 66 Days At Sea stuff was really for the hardcore nerds out there but after 66 days in the water, you'd figure there would be just a little bit of water elements in the right. That would even be as simple as track color.

With the left over from Pilgrim's Plunge/Girrafica I was almost certain there would be something even as simple as a splash effect flyover similar to Manta at Seaworld Orlando.

I don't get where the barn, the farm, the windmill and other "themeing" elements come into play with the story of this ride. Normally I wouldn't care but when the park kept pumping how they were the first theme park in the US, even before Disney, they just kind of pooped out a rough story and then slapped it together like a poorly made PB&J sandwich. I get you're being saved by the thunderbird and all, I just don't see how that plays into the name when starting inside a barn with clouds/lightning going off.

Either way, I will say that for HW this will be a great addition and I am not going to judge the ride itself based off the theme, however I will say that Winged coasters have yet to amaze me in their ride experience. Gatekeeper and Wild Eagle both are very "meh" and X-Flight is the best of the three but mostly based off their keyhole and fly through type elements.

For those saying this has never been done before, I say you're putting a decent launch on a ride the coaster community labels as boring, forceless etc (wing rider).

The GP is going to eat this up. Rides aren't built for the extremely small percentage of people who are in the "coaster community." They are built for the general public to enjoy.

I'm so pleased! I couldn't care less about how anyone feels. HW just sold a ticket to me for 2015!

+1

I`m not a fan of illusions. If the Immelmann and the loop will be THAT high, but the maximum speed is about 60 mph...than this will NOT be forceful !

So I take it you're one of the hundreds of people on here who said Banshee was going to be forceless by looking at the videos?

Why are people saying this is a family thrill ride at 60 MPH and 140 ft. height? I believe this should be considered a thrill ride, period. The height restriction will be lower than an average thrill ride, but this is a thrill ride at a family park.

Yeah, I don't get that either... if this is a family ride, then what is a typical mine train??? Twenty years ago this would have been considered the thrill ride of all thrill rides. I don't think we've come THAT far yet to call it a family ride.

Ok I lied I do have a nice thing to say. The station and scenery both look absolutely gorgeous, very "rustic", making the coaster not feel so out of place. That part of it I love.

As for the coaster running through it, I don't know how to say what I want to say without sounding like I'm trolling, because I'm not. I mean, I'm disappointed, I just am. Severely, severely disappointed, in both Holiday World and B&M.

I'm only bothering to say it because I figure maybe there's one or two other people out there who feel the same as I do and are wondering if they're alone. I mean, a launch straight into an immelmann? Seriously B&M? That's the best you could come up with? And then a vertical loop? Like, the same vertical loop you've been putting at the beginning of all of your coasters since Batman the Ride? Such beautiful surroundings and we only get two elements anywhere near the ground (s curve and helix)?

Obviously I won't say I dislike the ride until I ride it. I know you can't dismiss a ride purely based on the layout. But again, just giving my honest reaction, take it or leave it. I'll go in with my expectations low and probably be pleasantly surprised. But I'm 99% certain that I won't come out thinking that, given the location and 22 million dollars, a better ride could not have been made. And this being the home of the Voyage, I really was hoping for the best.

You can't please everyone. Period.

I think there's a simple and effective way to include water in the ride layout. Right before the vertical loop, the track appears to get very low to the ground. By simply adding a pool of water there, the "thunderbird" could swoop down over the water. They could simply add some timed water jets to spray into the air as the train flies by and TADA! you have your cool water effect

I've just remembered two things:

1 - I know LSMs are not the cheapest technology out there. Still, doesn't 22 millions sound a little bit too much for a ride of this length? X-flight is more or less the same length (and it was trains with 8 cars) and it was 15, right?

2 - This is more out of curiosity. This being B&M's first launch, does anyone know exactly how much of the system itself is theirs?

1 - I know LSMs are not the cheapest technology out there. Still, doesn't 22 millions sound a little bit too much for a ride of this length? X-flight is more or less the same length (and it was trains with 8 cars) and it was 15, right?

Launched coasters are expensive. 25 million for the one-hill Dragster is evidence enough.

Am I the only one that doesn't get the theme, the colors or the setting for this coaster?

I had very similar thoughts to what you said, PCW_Nut. It's a nice looking ride and a great addition to HW, but just looking at the "theme" itself it looks a little mashed together from several different sources and inspirations. Maybe a design by committee? I also agree that I wouldn't have thought about it much if they hadn't harped on it earlier and with their continued statements of being the first "theme" park. Whatever

2 - This is more out of curiosity. This being B&M's first launch, does anyone know exactly how much of the system itself is theirs?

It's not terribly expensive for a B&M. This is bigger than Wild Eagle and with 7 years of steel prices increasing and inflation.

I assume from what they have said that this is entirely B&M's design and tech.

This looks awesome and is a great addition for Holiday World, kind of a game changer for the park. I mean I know they have major rides like the Voyage and their waterpark is one of the best around, but adding a $22 million dollar steel coaster is a HUGE addition to a park like this.

A few random thoughts...

In the pictures the station is between the 2nd and third hill on the Voyage which is kind of a long ways from the Thanksgiving midway section. I'm assuming that over time they're going to continue to develop that section of the park with new rides and attraction but for now it's gonna feel like this thing is kind of out there all by itself.

I haven't read all of the press release material but I didn't really notice any sort of story or theme for the "Thunderbird" concept and it doesn't really seem to "fit" into the Thanksgiving section, which is okay! I've always thought that Holiday World would have a tough time expanding the park in major way if they stuck to attractions that only fit into the Holiday theme (gonna run out of Holidays eventually), so it's nice to see them build something that's kind of a stand alone attraction.

Finally, I've only been on 1 B&M wing rider (WIld Eagle) and didn't love it. It was fun, wasn't a top 10 for me or anything, but I do see how the general public loves these things. However, with the combination of the speed, the terrain, the launch, and the keyhole near misses on Thunderbird I think this thing is going to be a really great ride.

shoot, we got socks for Christmas again!

I kid, I kid. Look, I obviously did not manage my expectations well and took the ONE.BIG.THING a bit too literally in terms of the size/ length of the coaster, as well as the reports about the "massive" size of the plot for the coaster. For Holiday World, this really is a very big thing, and I am very happy for them. But, truth be told, other than the launch component (which will be cool), this a pretty standard sized wingrider. I think they obviously chose a style and design that would have broad appeal for everyone, and probably saw the enormous hit that Wild Eagle was for Dollywood (assuming everything wasn't already ironclad with B&M before then). I'm not sure if I ran Holiday World and had $22M to invest it would precisely be this type of coaster because I do have some slight concerns about the long-term appeal of wingriders versus other coaster designs -- will these rides age well and remain as popular as more "traditional" well-designed sit down coasters over time? But I neither run the park nor have $22M (although I wish I did and had both), and they know what they are doing (obviously). I'm sure this will be a big crowd pleaser and a hit for their key demographics. I'm always rooting for Holiday World. The campaign was brilliant.

(As a side note, I don't understand some of the quasi-angry responses to those who are not salivating over the coaster. I mean, I understand that the incessant whining and moaning about any new coaster by enthusiasts for not being "intense enough" or "what I wanted" gets old (because parks are purposely not always designing coasters for just our needs). But the comments above by some about a flyer maybe fitting the design better or other questions about the ride, are just that -- comments, observations, and opinions, often stated with a purpose, on a forum devoted to comments, observations, and opinions on coasters no less. What's wrong with that? Is it a prerequisite to only praise every feature of the ride because we love Holiday World?

Edited by tororific

I agree, I think we need to keep in mind that only 5 or 6 parks in the US actually try to impress us, the major enthusiasts. Holiday World is a family park. They do have some great thrilling rides, but your not going to see them build a massive omfg intense ride... Even Voyage is more on the fun level than the intense level (same idea as Boulder Dash). This is an amazing addition to the park! I agree about the head scratching theme, as it's a bit of a stretch from thanksgiving (everyone make sure you discuss thunderbirds around the table in November!) but I'm sure we will see them transition into this farm theme with future investment along the pathway to the new ride!

Which teaser trailer is better? Banshee's or Thunderbird's? Compare the two:

I like the thunderbird one better.

Even though the bat and the son of beast shoutouts were cool, the additional as fake as possible sounding screams of people riding spoiled with the coaster looking unrealistically fast.

Ok I lied I do have a nice thing to say. The station and scenery both look absolutely gorgeous, very "rustic", making the coaster not feel so out of place. That part of it I love.

As for the coaster running through it, I don't know how to say what I want to say without sounding like I'm trolling, because I'm not. I mean, I'm disappointed, I just am. Severely, severely disappointed, in both Holiday World and B&M.

I'm only bothering to say it because I figure maybe there's one or two other people out there who feel the same as I do and are wondering if they're alone. I mean, a launch straight into an immelmann? Seriously B&M? That's the best you could come up with? And then a vertical loop? Like, the same vertical loop you've been putting at the beginning of all of your coasters since Batman the Ride? Such beautiful surroundings and we only get two elements anywhere near the ground (s curve and helix)?

Obviously I won't say I dislike the ride until I ride it. I know you can't dismiss a ride purely based on the layout. But again, just giving my honest reaction, take it or leave it. I'll go in with my expectations low and probably be pleasantly surprised. But I'm 99% certain that I won't come out thinking that, given the location and 22 million dollars, a better ride could not have been made. And this being the home of the Voyage, I really was hoping for the best.

Sigh...how many coasters at holiday world have vertical loops...how many have an immelman? They also have roller coasters with hills...how dare they being that roller coasters have been featuring hills since the beginning! I wonder how many people that attend the park often have ever been on a looping coaster? Stop looking at it thru your narrow eyes and look at the big picture. Lots of people don't travel from state to state riding roller coasters like many of us. I love the fact that almost every six flags park has a Batman clone...I want the locals to experience such A great ride. I personally think that if anyone can find something "wrong" with this isn't looking st the bigger picture...a non chain, grassroots small park is going above and beyond and providing a thrilling world class fist of its kind roller coaster...and still offers free drinks, free parking AND free tanning lotion!...not to mention a FREE world class water park!

Who remembers the good ole days of when we were convinced we wouldn't be seeing a launched B&M for a LONG time? Now B&M has just gone up a level in terms of how much I like them. They now are manufacturing almost every single coaster type. They've mos recently added giga, family, and now launched. I hope it works out well for them. And lets hope that there aren't any problems with tightening best restraints. I'm also interested in hearing how people will like the voyage now that it has track flying over part of it. That, and the new view to look at from the top.

I find it hilarious they they are doing EVERYTHING people said they would never do hahahaha...

"they will never go over 240feet"

"they will never do a launched coaster"

This is only the B&M-ginning...I hope to see more new stuff from them in the future...

Its not hate...more like a "dude...c'mon!" attitude. I can easily say he is "hating" on holiday world, beemers, vertical loops, immelmans...but I have more than one brain cell and realizes disagreement doesnt constitute "hate/haters"...

Looks cool, but I am a little confused as to how so many of you who criticize the hell out of wingriders are all of a sudden defending this one to the death to everyone who makes any sort of less-than-positive comment.

Yeah...sorry to say that, but I feel very uncomfortable with the way that some here react to people who`re actually not blow away. Even if people, like me, say that the ride is still a VERY good addition to Holiday World and lots of fun. Not enough for the fanboys I guess.

The ride is not very long, not very fast, not very high. The launch is kind of "weak". There are no really new / unknown elements on the ride. It is a coaster model that dissaponted many enthusiasts before. But everybody here needs to be completely positive about it ? No, sorry.

Thunderbird looks like an awesome coaster, and I think it could definitely become the best wing coaster out there. I enjoyed X-Flight, so I'd probably enjoy this one too. Also nice to see that B&M is making it's first true launched coaster. Now that we know they are willing to make launched coasters, we could be looking foward to a lot of great creations from them in the next few years. I'm surprised that Thunderbird ended up being the name after the "66 Days at Sea" campaign, but it's still a good name.

I'm a bit annoyed at the people that are already saying "It's going to be another forceless B&M." That's what everyone said about Banshee, but everyone that has ridden it seems to like it. Besides, with the launch section and the shorter trains, that might allow for better forces than those on the other wing coasters. Also, wing coasters are still a relatively new type of coaster, so B&M probably may not have worked out all of the kinks in them yet. Who knows, one of these days, wing coasters could be much more amazing rides.

A new coaster is a new coaster to me. Looks like a great addition and perfect for Holiday World. You can bet I'll be there to ride it next year. Perfect excuse for a Holiday World/Kentucky Kingdom/Beech Bend trip (hoping that T2 and Twisted Twins reopen before I head down).