TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

First of all, how is Kingda Ka a "cheat"? Sounds like a sour CP fanboy to me...

Um.....Not quite, never been.

I think that Kingda Ka & TTD cheated at the world records, I would like to see a traditional coaster hold the tallest & fastest coaster records, thats IMO, so end of story.

-Martyn

If any of these issues are related to TTD, I can only imagine the coaster race may be slowing down for a couple of years (aka-CP vs. 6Flags). This is in reference to speed/height records and so on.

Park maintenance costs (in general) are skyrocketing and keeping these scream machines running in top form are taking more and more hours to keep them up to snuff. It really sucks when these technological issues arise, but thats part of the process. I'm sure 6F will have Intamin engineers at the park soon (if not already) and work the problem(s) out. We hope.

What we don't need is any backlashing with the media (in general) or anyone spreading any mis-informed rumors until the park releases an official word on the incident (if there is one). We have to look at it from the perspective of the parks view in that they are trying to get the ride back up in the safest possible manner. Safety has to be priority 1. I've worked in maintenance for BEC parks and operations and it sure can be stressful.

In reference to the noise, as I posted earlier, there also could be an effect with acoustic shockwave(s). If the cable DID snap, it could have 'bounced' within the trough and created the 'bang' noise. The person with the posting of the 6Flags website confirmed that KK is "Temporarily Closed" so that may be a sign the ride may have experienced a serious technical problem. I'm personally glad no one was on the ride for sure.

First of all, how is Kingda Ka a "cheat"? Sounds like a sour CP fanboy to me...

Um.....Not quite, never been.

I think that Kingda Ka & TTD cheated at the world records, I would like to see a traditional coaster hold the tallest & fastest coaster records, thats IMO, so end of story.

-Martyn

True true, but a 400 foot lift hill would kinda look ridiculous.

True true, but a 400 foot lift hill would kinda look ridiculous.

Thank you, someone agrees with me.

A 400ft lift hill would look fantastic IMO, well KK & TTD just look like a giant "penis" in the sky when a 400ft lift hill with other huge hills would look like a real coaster.

-Martyn

You know it’s just a matter of time until the guys at Intamin engineer something to replace the current cable system. I think that they adapted old technology i.e. the cable instead of creating a brand new cable specifically for the hydraulic launch system. And the same can be said for other various components of the roller coasters launch system just my 2 cents.

For anyone who is interested, here is a picture of the catch car emergency stop on the Superman Escape coaster in Australia. It is a large hydraulic piston at the end of the launch track, and from the writing on the cylinder it is pre-set, I guess, to suit the speed of the catch car on that particular ride.

http://ozcoaster.net/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=2315&

Hope this helps with any questions...

Well, this is just fabulous...again! Obviously we have no clue what really happened, but the Catch Car or Cable both seem like likely suspects.

Right now it is just a waiting game... I hope it reopens open soon.

Its unknown when it will open, but from the fact that the website says "temporarily closed" as opposed to last years message, it may be hopeful that they already know what the problem is and have ordered the proper parts to fix the situation and reopen the ride.

I had planned to visit SFGAdv on May 16 to make KK my 300th coaster, but it appears I will have to cancel my travel plans.

I hope I can make El Toro my 400th, but my attitude now towards KK is if I ride it, fine. If not, I won't be crying. I tried to ride KK last year, but it had the major breakdown.

I went to 6fga yesterday & my daughter wanted to ride KK. Upon asking why it was closed, and why the section was closed off as it was we got an answer of:

They are doing the last major work on El Toro. The trucks are going back and forth (or something like that) with equipment and parts. They are interlocking El Toro and Rolling Thunder at the present moment. They expect to open El Toro by the end of the spring (End of June).

I dont know how true that is...but maybe that means that the problem with KK isnt as major as it is sounding, and that they just need a little time to fix it.

OH...the blue side of the Chiller was NOT working...as usual!

1639253596_smallertoro.JPG.34062a4d56d4c4b26566352283fc3552.JPG

Guys, it's not as bad as lasts year breakdown and will be back in operation in a few weeks.

How is it not bad as last time?

I would say that if it is a cable snap, it is no where near as bad as a train rocketing down the track and coming to a dead hault.

With that said though, I would like to announce that Kingda Ka is now tied for the Willis award of Worst Park Investment Ever" with Top Thrill Dragster. I would like to say, congratulations.