TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I actually enjoy Superman. I can't stand Green Lantern.

Agreed, Holiday in the Park gave me a new appreciation for it. It's not Manta or Tatsu but it's a ton of fun.

My thoughts exactly. My appreciation for B&M flyers has grown immensely over the past year. S:UF went from a hard pass to an occasional spin for me. Definitely agree that its nowhere near as good as Tatsu and Manta as well.

Was Green Lantern smoother when it was Chang at Kentucky Kingdom?

Here's the thing, it's still pretty smooth. My biggest complaint is the constant head-banging throughout the course. Most likely because I'm not very tall so my head is firmly between the restraints, and not above it. It's just a model that is very outdated, and it replaced a legendary ride that once saved the park from closing.

Edited by Genx24

Agreed, Holiday in the Park gave me a new appreciation for it.

What's ironic about this statement is how finicky it was on closing day, most notably when after we waited an 20 extra minutes for the front, were strapped in, seats raised, and that ride was suddenly having none of it. Stuck hanging for a minute, then told to get out, waited even longer, and then it was recommended we "check out other attractions". LOLZ.

To be fair we did get a good freezing cold night ride on it.

Superman and Batwing are the only two flyers I've done and while Batwing was personally a horrific experience for me, I am DYING to ride Manta and especially Tatsu. They are just so damn comfortable allowing you to appreciate the unique forces flyers provide. Batwing I could only concentrate on how I was going to die.

I have a really great appreciation for Green Lantern after riding Apocalypse/Iron Wolf way more times than I would like to admit to. Since I surpassed about 5'10" I haven't had any issues with headbanging (or at least after learning how to lean properly/defensively), but the leg pain has gotten more noticeable for me the last couple years.

If you can ride it correctly and keep you head out of the restraints it can be a decent ride for a standup. Whether or not you agree with having to ride a coaster a certain way for it to be good is a different story (kinda like Mean Streak in the front like coasterbill rants about on the daily) but it isn't unbearable to me in this way.

That said I still rarely ride it (especially if it's over 15 mins), but it's so much better than Apocalypse it's laughable.

As for Superman it's kind of the same story. It's definitely easier to enjoy and overall more comfortable, but other than the pretzel there's nothing to write home about and the line is usually God-awful. I prefer it slightly to Batwing but I don't mind Batwing as much as others seem to. Neither are all that special anyways, especially when Superman is in the same park as El Toro.

Stand ups seem to be more about body type / height than any type of coaster. I have no doubt that for some people they're enjoyable. When I was a kid I loved stand ups but now with the lone exception of the Carowinds Vortex (which I'll keep arguing is a good ride) I hate them all.

I used to despise B&M Stand-Ups after having awful rides on Riddler's Revenge and Mantis. But after riding RR a few more times recently, I've had some VERY good rides on it (1000x better than Scream). Sitting on the inner 2 seats really help, and having the seat adjusted to the right height helps a lot too.

But then again, people always praise Riddler for being the best Stand-Up out there, so maybe I'm spoiled a little.

The trick for stand ups is to adjust the seat correctly, and to avoid headbanging just hug around the sides of the restraint so that your body doesn't move around! The thrill of stand ups is just how little contact you have with the restraints and seats, the freedom is unmatched!

The trick for stand ups is to adjust the seat correctly, and to avoid headbanging just hug around the sides of the restraint so that your body doesn't move around! The thrill of stand ups is just how little contact you have with the restraints and seats, the freedom is unmatched!

True

I just really like Green Lantern and it always surprises me how violently people bash it. Like, I actually think it's one of the best rides in the park. How odd.

I only bash it as violently as it has me. Which is to say, quite a bit.

Was Green Lantern smoother when it was Chang at Kentucky Kingdom?

Yes.

It rode more like Mantis when it was at KK, and now it runs way worse than Mantis did IMO.

I loved it as Chang, and I was really excited to ride it again but it just is hard to enjoy now. I wish it could be converted to a classic sit down and maybe even get some kind of vest restraint. It's layout screams B&M sit down but I know that can't be marketed well.

It's funny because I thought Mantis was absolute trash. I'll admit I rode it in the 90 degree sun right before lunch mid afternoon, but that ride was almost as rough as Apocalypse just in a much larger scale and had the whole endurance test aspect of it. I've ridden Green Lantern way more than Mantis but I've still never had a ride on GL as bad as the one on Mantis.

It's weird how different everyone's opinions are. The only one's I can't see the perspective of is saying they're very good rides overall, but nobody's saying that so its all good.

Oh wait...