TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Looks like another season I won't be visiting GADV.

There is really only a few rides I feel are worth riding.

Removed Scream machine which only banged your shoulders up a bit for a ride that must be a government conspiracy for population control since it blatantly tries to render me impotent.

Arguably one of the most intense coasters around for a mouse in a box.

Rolling thunder for hopefully something good, but probably nothing. We have the gotham area basically vacant and a closed old country. A giant purple monstrosity in the western section of the park.

Seeing what SFMM is doing with colossus, Rolling thunder could have been a ground hugging version of that. Looks like next season I will be driving right past GADV on my way to SFNE.

I know right... I completely agree with you. There's basically nothing to do at Great Adventure. All they have is the tallest coaster in the world, the #1 rated wood coaster in the world, a B&M hypercoaster that goes 80 MPH, an old school super-intense B&M invert, a 7 looping floorless coaster, a huge stand-up coaster, a B&M flying coaster, 2 indoor coasters, the tallest drop tower in the world, an arrow mine train, a 200+ foot sky screamer, a Vekoma mad house, a 90 minute long Safari ride with a zipline in the middle of it, a very good log flume, a 200+ foot parachute tower, a ton of other rides I didn't even mention and now a new looping flat ride.

I agree... there's nothing to do in this park.

Sorry to add to the whining. Im not so much bothered by the marketing of this (tho it is lame), but with NE & MM getting those RMC's, and Fiesta getting that S&S prototype, I can't help but feel we've been shortchanged here.

We are one of the flagships of the chain, the largest theme park on earth (sizewise), the park that has the tallest and one of the fastest coasters on earth, one of the top hypers on the planet, tallest drop ride and El freaking Toro. Yet no mention of Namtab and we are getting the same (flat) ride as a bunch of other parks in the chain. And it won't be open until late spring which is just flat out hilarious.

Yeah, I know we just got Zumanjaro but I think SF missed a good opportunity to put something major here for 2015. The lack of Namtab is particularly painful to me, I was excited for that. Here's to hoping they just announce it later...

Edited by boldikus

We are one of the flagships of the chain, the largest theme park on earth (sizewise), the park that has the tallest and one of the fastest coasters on earth, one of the top hypers on the planet, tallest drop ride and El freaking Toro.

And yet you need more.

The park could use a shiny new coaster for sure, but there's no shortchanging happening here. Great Adventure and Great America have the best coaster lineups of the entire chain, in my opinion, and probably by a long shot. We can all live another year with the world-class rides we've got.

I know right... I completely agree with you. There's basically nothing to do at Great Adventure. All they have is the tallest coaster in the world, the #1 rated wood coaster in the world, a B&M hypercoaster that goes 80 MPH, an old school super-intense B&M invert, a 7 looping floorless coaster, a huge stand-up coaster, a B&M flying coaster, 2 indoor coasters, the tallest drop tower in the world, an arrow mine train, a 200+ foot sky screamer, a Vekoma mad house, a 90 minute long Safari ride with a zipline in the middle of it, a very good log flume, a 200+ foot parachute tower, a ton of other rides I didn't even mention and now a new looping flat ride.

I agree... there's nothing to do in this park.

Like i said, a few rides worth riding. My opinion. Tallest and fastest doesn't equal good.

Toro, Batman, Bizarro, and the mad house are good. Safari doesn't interest me as I don't believe in keeping wild animals.

The park is not very well rounded. They keep removing rides and seem like there isn't any direction or end goal for what they are doing. I mean, ONE water ride in a flagship park? that is absurd. SFA has THREE, and had FOUR. Great adventure relies on a couple blockbuster rides to draw in crowds, not so much as a place to spend an entire day.

I really though the park was going in the right direction with KA and the golden kingdom, then Toro and PDC. Those areas were gorgeous. I had hope there was going to be theming and an actual vision behind themed areas. Now that I think about it, Im not even mad about the loop thingy, its another ride and thats good. Im disappointed that movie town will rot some more as will other areas of the park. Gadv seems content with having two really well themed areas and just random nonsense elsewhere.

We are one of the flagships of the chain, the largest theme park on earth (sizewise), the park that has the tallest and one of the fastest coasters on earth, one of the top hypers on the planet, tallest drop ride and El freaking Toro.

And yet you need more.

Yeah I know it sounds that way. And we do have a great line-up. I love the park and that its my home park. I don't know. They have so much space and so much opportunity for rehabbing areas (Old Country, etc). I don't necessarily need a new coaster just something more special than the same carnival flat that is going in 3 other SF parks and being marketed as something its not.

^^Great Adventure has 2 water rides. They had 3 but nobody ever rode water effect.

Kingda Ka is a great ride if you ride it in the front, but even if you don't it's still very good (though a bit rattly). Also, they don't "keep removing rides". They did for awhile but in the last few years they've added new Bumper Cars, a Sky Screamer, a Scrambler, the Safari, Zumanjaro and now this while (I believe) only removing Rolling Thunder which was incredibly mediocre.

Are you going to tell me that you honestly thought Rolling Thunder was that good but Kingda Ka isn't and Nitro isn't even worth mentioning?

Also, in regards to them keeping wild animals a few of their animals are extinct in the wild. Do you really think keeping them and breeding them is a bad thing? Really?

Great Adventure has a lot of problems including what you said about theming but to pretend there isn't a ton of stuff to do there is insane.

They keep removing rides and seem like there isn't any direction or end goal for what they are doing.

This is the whole thing with SFGAdv in a nutshell. It's hard to have faith because every decision they've made since Toro has indicated a clear lack of overall vision and direction for the park. And possibly a lack of budget to really fix the things that need to get done. This year it looks like they said to themselves, "Well, corporate is giving us this new ride, and it has to go somewhere. Let's see... Oh yeah, we've got that nice cleared land by El Toro, let's stick it in there." I'll try to have faith that maybe they'll use this opportunity to open that side of the park back up... but like I said, it's tough to have faith given their recent history.

I think all the Jersey SFGAd fanboys should fight the SFMM fanboys as obviously SFMM continues to be (for some reason) the 'roller coaster favorite' of the chain.

SFGAd is a MUCH better all around park and you should still feel really proud of what you have but I can understand being upset over this announcement.

I don't mind being called a SFGAdv fanboy but I'm NOT and never will be from Jersey LOL. (Philadelphians take great offense to that haha)

I apologize, you are TOTALLY right! (Jersey is America's armpit!)

Unfortunately, you are correct about that, and I'm Jersey born and raised.

I think all the Jersey SFGAd fanboys should fight the SFMM fanboys as obviously SFMM continues to be (for some reason) the 'roller coaster favorite' of the chain.

SFGAd is a MUCH better all around park and you should still feel really proud of what you have but I can understand being upset over this announcement.

I'm not upset by this announcement so long as SF realizes this is not a significant monetary investment (I think I saw $700,000 posted somewhere). Should this delay a major attraction for another 2-3 years, then I would be disappointed.

I think most enthusiasts would put this in the "flat ride" category which is always a nice addition for Great Adventure.

I don't mind being called a SFGAdv fanboy but I'm NOT and never will be from Jersey LOL. (Philadelphians take great offense to that haha)

I apologize, you are TOTALLY right! (Jersey is America's armpit!)

So is Philly, take it from a New Yorker . Seriously this addition is just blah. It is disappointing but if it reopens the path then whatever.

I'm not upset by this announcement so long as SF realizes this is not a significant monetary investment (I think I saw $700,000 posted somewhere). Should this delay a major attraction for another 2-3 years, then I would be disappointed.

I think most enthusiasts would put this in the "flat ride" category which is always a nice addition for Great Adventure.

What? These things really cost that much? I personally don't think they are worth $7,000.

The only thing I feel is bothersome about this announcement is that it's being advertised as a coaster when it's obviously not. I actually like this addition because the park needs more flats and it helps fill a vacancy in that area of the park. The Golden Kingdom has been just Kingda Ka since it's inception in 2005 (minus Balin's Jungleland), and this plus Zumanjaro helps round out that section of the park. If Ryan is correct about a reconnection to Plaza del Carnival then that's just icing on the cake.

Of course I'd want the moon for the park - who wouldn't want a crazy big coaster addition and reopening of Old Country? But if a modest addition in 2015 is needed in order to allocate the necessary amount of funds to do a big addition RIGHT in the near future, then so be it.

Edited by michaellynn4

But if a modest addition in 2015 is needed in order to allocate the necessary amount of funds to do a big addition RIGHT in the near future, then so be it.

That's what I'm particularly worried about. As long as there is a planned future announcement in the near future (1-2 seasons), this addition can be quietly accepted.