TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just thought since this is a forum we could share our opinion.

Is it. But just know that when your opinion differs vastly, and so apparently strongly from most everyone else, your opinion will most likely be more heavily scrutinized. If you're cool with that, and understand that, no problem.

--Robb

I just thought since this is a forum we could share our opinion.

Is it. But just know that when your opinion differs vastly, and so apparently strongly from most everyone else, your opinion will most likely be more heavily scrutinized. If you're cool with that, and understand that, no problem.

--Robb

I am definitely cool with it.

I'm just wondering...but has anyone greyed out on the Backlot Stunt Coaster? I know I shouldn't have, but it took me by surprise. I even lost all sense of direction by the time we came out of the helix.

The opening helix of Stunt Coaster is the most intense part of the ride, so I could see gray outs happening there.

Edited by cfc

I have to say that the helix did take me by surprise. People had told me that it was intense but I didn't expect what I got. I was on the verge of greying out and my vision was just starting to go funny before we reached the top and it was gone. I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm just wondering...but has anyone greyed out on the Backlot Stunt Coaster? I know I shouldn't have, but it took me by surprise. I even lost all sense of direction by the time we came out of the helix.

Yes, although at the time I was dehydrated and running off of 0 hours of sleep.

ECB was outstanding. My son and I got 15 laps on that brand spanking new thrill monster I305 that day, unthinkable in normal circumstances. We didn't want ERT to end. By the 3rd circuit of the night, I was hands-up the entire ride and grooving to the unique and intense snap-rolls of the twisties. All credit to the kid for telling the old man how to time the lean. Best OTS restraints ever.

We didn't start out loving I305. Our first rides were a couple of days before ECB, about 30 hours after hopping on Millennium Force during our CP introduction. I know that MF has that "forceless" reputation. I didn't care, I came with no preconceptions. It was awesome, especially in the back seats. Amazing height and speed, and solid airtime. That first valley even greyed me out a couple of times. It found a place at the top of my list.

When it was time to try our second giga, I looked at that towering lift and expected something like MF. Instead of the free fall, I found myself pressed against the front of the restraint during 305's first drop as the train's momentum was briefly checked. The twisties snapped my neck violently, even with the soft bars. I was expecting MF and didn't get it. After that first ride, I was less than impressed. My mistake? I didn't approach it with no expectations, as I had MF.

Fortunately, we had a golden opportunity to ride and ride and ride at ECB. Once I got to know I305, I realized that the 300 ft drop is not the signature element even though it's right there in your face. Don't get me wrong, that drop is still thrilling. No, the twisties are the standouts here, unique in my experience and as intense as any moment I've experienced in a lifetime. The ride's a winner, and that's particularly clear when judged on its own character. KD is unbelievably fortunate to have it. I wish we had something approaching it out west.

When I exited the helix, for some reason I expected to see Intimidator in front of me (in the distance)... but nope! Goodbye sense of direction

Backlot is pretty intense for it's size,good thing that the takeoff is gradual unlike FOF's otherwise you'd probably be looking at some serious neck snappage there.

When I exited the helix, for some reason I expected to see Intimidator in front of me (in the distance)... but nope! Goodbye sense of direction

Backlot is pretty intense for it's size,good thing that the takeoff is gradual unlike FOF's otherwise you'd probably be looking at some serious neck snappage there.

I did get some whiplash the first time I rode it because I had no idea how quickly it snapped into that turn. That helix is intense.

I went to KD today. I felt the trims, but grayed out more than ever. But who cares?? It was awesome and that's what matters!

The park was practically empty. The longest wait for Volcano, which was maybe 10 minutes or so.

Not much going on with Haunt... Dodgems and WWC are closed for the remainder of the year to allow for the construction of Medevial Macabre (Dodgems) and Camp Killauee (WWC). I tried snapping pictures of any Haunt stuff I could find, but there just isn't much set up yet.

Backlot's helix has always been intense to me. Then again, I'm the guy that randomly greys out on Millennium Force's first overbank. Go figure, right? I'm really looking forward to Medevial Macabre, if its anything like the Scarezone up at Cedar Point it should be fantastic

Went to KD yesterday & man was it packed!! Lines for Dominator stretched all the way back over by berserker,and don't even get me started on how bad the wait was for I305 by early to late evening.

Had a couple problems though,the first being this jerk cutting in line on rebel yell...he gave the classic excuse that he'd gotten out of line to use the restroom & had to get back with his friends but security took care of him after the ride.The other problem was with this idiot over at grizzly.I was in the queue filming the ride like usual & he's next up ahead of me with his kid & his other son already in the train when he has the nerve to put his hand on my camcorder yelling "you better stop filming my son" at the top of his lungs & making other threats about it.

Now I've been filming in ride queues at the park all season & NEVER had another park guest threaten me like that before,as far as I know it's not against park rules to film in ride queus or anywhere else in the park except on the ride itself & if that jerk doesn't like it then he shouldn't be in the park as there are hundreds of people with their camcorders rolling both on the midways & in the queues.

PERV!!! HA HA, just kidding dude. I find that quite rude, you're more or less in public (allbeit on private property) and while in public you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Someone was just trying to cause trouble, I wouldn't worry about it.

That nonesense just get's me,perhaps I'll post the clip to my youtube page to show how much of a jerk this guy was.

PERV!!! HA HA, just kidding dude. I find that quite rude, you're more or less in public (allbeit on private property) and while in public you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Someone was just trying to cause trouble, I wouldn't worry about it.

That nonesense just get's me,perhaps I'll post the clip to my youtube page to show how much of a jerk this guy was.

Oh, what a great idea. You'll really show us all who the REAL jerk is then.

Seriously, the guy might have been an ass, and probably was out of line, but if someone asks you to stop video taping him and his kid, respect that.

I spent countless summers at this park as a kid. Went back in June after 20 years of living in Dallas. Had to check out I-305 . Anyways, I have so many vivid memories at this park. Checking out YouTube I found an awesome video compliation of old school KD. Haunted River, Smurf Mountain, old KD commercials. I don't know if anyone else has seen them, but thought I would share it with yall. I beleive there are 4 videos by this guy that are all KD footage new and old. Be sure to check out the others!! Enjoy.

Despite the trims on hurler that ride is still a piece of crap,I made the mistake of riding it last weekend & it was just as bad...if not worse than before.

Kinda felt sorry for all those poor souls entering the queue after I'd had my lap on it as they were definitely gonna end up wondering why they wasted 2.5 minutes of their lives on such a horrid ride.It was so bad that even the pre-drop curve coming off the lift was extremely rough.