TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ok, after analizing some photos of both Launched and Millenium Force, it is 100% Definatly a Cable Lift....here are some photos.......

If there is still any doubt then I don't know what other proof before vertical construction starts people are looking for!!!

mflift.thumb.jpg.d4ee65a6cacbcd615274c3af6cbace76.jpg

SNAP!!!!!!

62509009resized.jpg.b540bbe79e03ae567f669008879fb9e7.jpg

Kings Dominions 2010 Coaster, note the cutout at the bottom of the Catch Car Run..... Also of note there is not enough room for the Hydraulic's to go for the raising/lowering of the safety brakes.

p13513.jpg.b8fa506532516a4fc6079edf101f3523.jpg

Credit to RCDB for photo - This is Stealth's Launch Track......note there is no cutout at the bottom of the catch car run.

Well, it definitely looks *stronger* than MF's lift, but other than that it looks very similar. Launching could have been a reason for the strength, but as many have pointed out, the cable is in the wrong position relative to the catch car for a launch cable.

It looks like those mounts on the left of the image are for the stairs--don't see many stairs on launches... (or elevators)

It looks like a lift. You can see where the dog chain would catch. (The anti-roll back systems) That angle looks like a lift, not a launch section.

And like was already mentioned, there is not enough room for the hydraulics underneath the track. And I don't see where magnets could be placed.

--James

What would be the problem if it does launch anyway? And besides, just because markers go out that far doesn't mean it can't be launching.

For the last time this IS a giga coaster,not an accelerator coaster as this has been confirmed via the shipping label on the huge box of bolts/washers delievered earlier this week.

If it were a launcher then we'd see brake fins on those lift hill segments similar to those on TTD & KK's launch track.

All I know is that I want an MF drop into a straight away, then into a huge ground hugging banked turn into some kind of airtime hill. Then I will be happy.

You know what with the flat track that has been delivered perhaps this could be a giga lite? MF's track uses box beam track for practically the whole circuit to handle the speeds generated by the drop with the only flat track being the brakerun,unload & load stations.

Do you think they might put audio on this one? Six flags keeps doing it and now they have put audio on SROS, so it seems like they need to think about adding to keep up.

Keep up? I personally could care less about an audio system on a coaster. The sweet roar of the trains suits me just fine. I dont think the audio system on either Bizarro makes them any better.

^ Kings Dominion is owned by Cedar Fair, not Six Flags. Besides why would Cedar Fair copy a company that's currently in bankruptcy?

I was commenting on the fact that Cedar Fair should keep up with Six Flags in this area, I realize that they are two separate entities. Six Flags is restructuring debt but still has great parks and is trying to make a come back.

In my opinion SF put some weird content on all the audio systems they've installed. Overall I think that when audio is done right it adds a lot to the coaster. The Rock'n'Roller Coaster at WDW certainly did a good job, and so did Freestyle Music Park (Hardrock).

Cedar Fair doesn't do much theming, but they did a good job with it on TTD at CP. The Backlot Stunt Coaster (Italian Job) at KD originally had audio and it added something to an otherwise pretty boring ride.

Just saying, I think audio can add a really good element to a coaster if they do it right.

..but they did a good job with it on TTD at CP.

Since when has TTD been themed?

I mean, it's better than a coaster with an exotic name. But it's certainly not themed.

Stadium Seating, racing flags, finish line ,etc .. it's all themeing, thats the one coaster besides DT and Maverick ( maybe ) that have an actual theme.

Do you think they might put audio on this one? Six flags keeps doing it and now they have put audio on SROS, so it seems like they need to think about adding to keep up.

Keep up? I personally could care less about an audio system on a coaster. The sweet roar of the trains suits me just fine. I dont think the audio system on either Bizarro makes them any better.

I will actually disagree there, rides like X2 and California Screamin are really propped up by their audio systems, they're both still great rides without them, but the Audio adds an extra, very thrilling element. But do I expect to see audio on this? Hell no