TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

As much as I LOVE these Frisbee-type rides, I am not fully convinced about this particular model. One thing that makes me slightly skeptical about Mondial Revolutions is the fact that they literally only do ONE full swing before slowing back down (See CW's Psyclone). I don't know if the ride program will be the same as that, but if it's that short it will probably not live up to its full potential.

THAT BEING SAID- I don't hate the ride, I would still ride it anyways if someone gives me the money for a flight from Italy over to Virginia, and I might even enjoy it a lot. I just see the potential shortness of it as kind of a letdown. You know... nothing that major.

ALSO, I am fully aware that it still hasn't been built yet, so MAYBE Mondial *MIGHT* make it longer. But IMHO, it's not that likely.

Well, I'd just like to throw this really old post back at you guys because, really, seeing that there's some heat here about Delirium being too short in length, just don't say that I didn't warn you. mmkay?

I personally thought that the ride cycle was just fine for Delirium.

I counted at least 2-3 spins at the top height before it started slowing down during my ride. Although it's entirely possible that my cycle went a bit longer because it was still morning and there were only about ten other people on the ride (and only a handful in the queue).

As I mentioned in my report a couple of pages back, I can see wait times getting crazy for this ride during busy days because of the restraints. You get a few exceedingly rotund folks trying to squeeze into them and you might as well figure that you're going to be waiting a while as the ride op's try to push the restraint down 10+ times in order to get the green light.

To accommodate for that, they may very well need to shorten the cycle in order to avoid 1 hour+ long waits?

As much as I LOVE these Frisbee-type rides, I am not fully convinced about this particular model. One thing that makes me slightly skeptical about Mondial Revolutions is the fact that they literally only do ONE full swing before slowing back down (See CW's Psyclone). I don't know if the ride program will be the same as that, but if it's that short it will probably not live up to its full potential.

THAT BEING SAID- I don't hate the ride, I would still ride it anyways if someone gives me the money for a flight from Italy over to Virginia, and I might even enjoy it a lot. I just see the potential shortness of it as kind of a letdown. You know... nothing that major.

ALSO, I am fully aware that it still hasn't been built yet, so MAYBE Mondial *MIGHT* make it longer. But IMHO, it's not that likely.

Well, I'd just like to throw this really old post back at you guys because, really, seeing that there's some heat here about Delirium being too short in length, just don't say that I didn't warn you. mmkay?

Do you want a cookie or something?

Do you want a cookie or something?

I was going to mention something along those lines too, but decided on restraint...no pun intended, of course.

I saw a test run where Delirium hit max. height 10 times in a row (although it wasn't spinning). Thank god my ride wasn't that long, not that I would have ever gotten on it if it was doing that in the first place.

Delirium: super smooth, variety is the spice of life, but not one tenth the size and scope of the ride previously in that location. And sickening too. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS: Backlot's fire effect timing fixed.... The problem started late last year, I'd see fire shoot up every time except when I rode it (unlike previously, when they always seemed on the verge of running out of gas). Turned out the train was gone by the time the fire went. The gas pump fire is back too now. These add a lot to the ride (and more "charm" to the park than any mushrooms, IMO ).

Ever since the singing mushrooms returned to Kings Dominion I've been wanting to go there badly. The park's charm is almost like Disneyland charm.

Well, let's not go crazy here.

Ever since the singing mushrooms returned to Kings Dominion I've been wanting to go there badly. The park's charm is almost like Disneyland charm.

Well. Based on that post it IS obvious you really have a thing for special mushrooms.

Well. Based on that post it IS obvious you really have a thing for special mushrooms.

That's true! I love the singings mushrooms just like Taylor cause they're really amazing.

Well, let's not go crazy here.

yeah at least KD has 13 coasters Disneyland has only 5 (including Goofy's Sky School and California Screamin)

KD>>>>>Disneyland

A new kiddie coaster themed to the singing mushrooms could be a cool concept. Sorry, that is something that just randomly popped into my head lol! But seriously, that could be something fun for the park to run with.

Guys, 1 question regarding ERT.

I can see on KD's website that ERT is different each day:

https://www.kingsdominion.com/plan-a-visit/season-pass-benefits

How early can we enter the park? half an hour before opening? I hope anyone here knows.

It says that the Soak City early entry is about a half-hour before opening, so I think the regular park would also be that way. I'm not really sure either, since I'm going for the first time this season. But I think that would be the most likely time.

Making my second trip to KD this weekend. This time we're going to hit the waterpark and give it a shot. Last time we were here it was October, so no go. For those familiar with this park, what slides have the longest lines or move the slowest rather. I'll be sure to hit those first. The water park doesn't open until noon so of course we'll be there at 10 when the dry park opens to catch a early ride on Volcano and I305 and maybe Delirium if we have time...But then it's off to the water to cool off. Thanks for any info.

Would Sunday or Monday be a better day to visit? I understand neither are ideal but I don't have any other options.

I'd go Monday as most people might have to work the next day.

Making my second trip to KD this weekend. This time we're going to hit the waterpark and give it a shot. Last time we were here it was October, so no go. For those familiar with this park, what slides have the longest lines or move the slowest rather. I'll be sure to hit those first. The water park doesn't open until noon so of course we'll be there at 10 when the dry park opens to catch a early ride on Volcano and I305 and maybe Delirium if we have time...But then it's off to the water to cool off. Thanks for any info.

I haven't been to the waterpark since their Soak City upgrade, but I'd imagine their newer slides (Hurricane Heights, Thunder Falls) will have have longer lines. Tornado is also another slide with a seemingly long wait and it's one of the first slides you encounter when you enter SC so that's another one I'd recommend hitting up first.

^ I agree. Everyone is usually headed home that day from their weekend getaway or has picnic plans with family/friends.

We went to BGE on Memorial Day a few years ago and the crowds were very light all day. I have to assume that KD's (as well as other parks) would be similar.

Would Sunday or Monday be a better day to visit? I understand neither are ideal but I don't have any other options.

Looking at the forecast, Monday looks like a very rainy day. Sunday is expected to have showers in the evening. I'm going Saturday and Sunday. Yeah, it'll be crowded...But that's why I'm going two days. I want to experience the whole park.

Monday of this weekend is kind of like a normal Sunday (perhaps in July not May, though). Saturday, of course, is one of the worst days of the year to go to an amusement park.