TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I was at the park yesterday as well. I saw the land clearing, although it didn't look that big. I'm curious just to see how it would connect back to the park. No idea what would go there, certainly not a coaster.

Am I the only one who remembers hurler is closed right now, so we should expect a "new" coaster in that aspect as it should get the ghostrider treatment.

^This

Ok so i was at kd yesterday. As usual the volcano got stuck so i waited in line so it could be fix. So glad everyone else left cause it got fix in a in 30 mins. But the security people was telling me they was building something next year. He said go to the eiffel tower to if you see anything. Well i didnt go there just rode i305 it was a little bit of land clearing. Just don't know how true it is

That security guy deserves a raise. That is too good.

Am I the only one who remembers hurler is closed right now, so we should expect a "new" coaster in that aspect as it should get the ghostrider treatment.

Nope...I mentioned it about six posts ago, too.

I am still with some of the others in that the new "addition" might likely be a remake of Hurler - either a complete RMC make-over or a Ghostrider-type of revamp. I'd be fine with either one - although tearing it down and building something else wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

I'm not sure if they own the land on the left side of I305, but if they did, that could be a nice area for an expansion. I wouldn't think that there would be much room on the right side with Anaconda, the lake/swamp right there and Rebel Yell's turnaround in the general area.

Even better would be if they could expand over in the log flume/WWC/Grizzly area without destroying the heavily wooded/shaded areas. I really love that area of the park (especially on scorching hot days), but other than those three rides (and the Sky Coaster & Flyers), there really isn't much to do over there.

King's Dominion does own that land. We hat check that area, there's a maintenance road there as well.

^ That actually makes a lot of sense. I always seem to forget about permanent haunt buildings as possibilities for construction/activity.

*EDIT* Thanks to Screamscape, I saw a pic of the land clearing, and it is actually a much larger area than I expected. So, maybe it is something significant?

My guess for the land clearing would be some kind of permanent haunt building/storage, similar to when KI constructed Slaughterhouse next to Beast.

You're more optimistic than I am. Due to the location I'm going to go with, "They're not doing anything interesting at all".

^ I believe they do it back behind tidal wave bay.

Anyways the amount of land cleared is a LOT for just fireworks. There's definitely enough room for a large coaster. (Like a B&M hyper! *wink* *wink*)

I hear all this "hope/speculation/whatever" about Hurler. Can someone honestly tell me if this was ever a good ride? I've ridden them both and pretty much hate them both. I just can't see how a first drop into a 90 degree turnaround on a woodie would ever have been a good idea.

I did not ride either when they were new, so.....what am I missing??

David "Hurler Sucks" McCollum

I hear all this "hope/speculation/whatever" about Hurler. Can someone honestly tell me if this was ever a good ride? I've ridden them both and pretty much hate them both. I just can't see how a first drop into a 90 degree turnaround on a woodie would ever have been a good idea.

I did not ride either when they were new, so.....what am I missing??

David "Hurler Sucks" McCollum

Well... Hurler has the most airtime out of any coaster in the park. If you sit in the front row then during those airtime hills it's almost el toro smooth. But those turns are still very painful... If GCI saves hurler it could become a GREAT ride.

Also. The turns aren't even close to being 90 degrees. But believe me if they were then hurler would probably be a heck of a lot better.

Hurler was "meh" on the day it opened in 1994, and it's gone steadily down hill from there every year since. an RMC retracking would not transform it's bad and boring layout into an awesome one. in my opinion, it would be throwing good money after bad. tear it down and put in an original RMC design.

Hurler was "meh" on the day it opened in 1994, and it's gone steadily down hill from there every year since. an RMC retracking would not transform it's bad and boring layout into an awesome one. in my opinion, it would be throwing good money after bad. tear it down and put in an original RMC design.

Thats why I was thinking with minebuster at cw, it was hard for me to imagine an rmc retracking to make it something "new". For hurler it would be good if they could re-use some of the old wood though. Better for the environment.

You can see that land clearing on Google Maps. Are we certain this is something new? It could have been there for some length of time now. Anyways, seeing how far it is back from an actual path, I doubt it is for a new ride. As for Hurler, it's a boring ride. Even after the work that was done to Carowinds Hurler, it is still boring. I rode Hurler about three years ago and it was awful then. I'm glad Kings Dominion shut that ride down. It needs attention. And it'll probably get the same attention Carowinds Hurler got. As for the RMC conversation. I just don't see Cedar Fair doing it. They've been building big beautiful coasters. No offense, but RMC doesn't build beautiful coasters. They build ugly, mind blowing awesome coasters. I just don't see Cedar Fair in the market for that. However, I could see them building the T-Rex design...Those look rather nice. Would I like to see a RMC conversion in a Cedar Fair park, Hell yeah! I love RMC! But, I'm not convinced it's going to happen.

Read some reviews of thunder run at Kentucky kingdom if you think the layout is bad...