TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

This actually makes me cringe.. Carnival making people do their business in BAGS!? Feces on the wall and floor! If I were on that ship I would be going crazy, and their "clean up effort" for the media, and now waiting til late at night to disembark to avoid more media critisim. It will still happen, like someone else in the thread said almost everyone on the ship has a camera phone. Ridiculous, I can't believe people are giving money to a company like this.

Next for Carnival Triumph cruise passengers? A 2-hour bus ride and $500.

Carnival Triumph passengers will get a full refund, a free cruise, and now a $500 check. Upon arrival in Mobile, Ala., cruise ship passengers will get the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston, Texas, or Houston, or spending the night in a hotel in New Orleans, "We know it has been a longer journey back than we anticipated at the beginning of the week under very challenging circumstances," Carnival President and CEO Gary Cahill said. "We are very sorry for what our guests have had to endure."

Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen acknowledged the Triumph's recent mechanical woes, explaining that there was an electrical problem with the ship's alternator on the previous voyage. Repairs were completed Feb. 2.

Testing of the repaired part was successful and "there is no evidence at this time of any relationship between this previous issue and the fire that occurred on Feb. 10."

Debbi Smedley, a passenger on a recent Triumph cruise, said the ship had trouble Jan. 28 as it was preparing to leave Galveston. Hours before the scheduled departure time, she received an email from Carnival stating the vessel would leave late because of a propulsion problem. Passengers were asked to arrive at the port at 2 p.m., two hours later than originally scheduled.

The ship did not sail until after 8 p.m., she said.

"My mother is a cruise travel agent so this is not my first rodeo. I have sailed many, many cruises, many, many cruise lines. This was, by far, I have to say, the worst," said Smedley, of Plano, Texas.

Communication with passengers on the Triumph has been limited to brief windows when other cruise ships with working cellular towers have rendezvoused to deliver supplies, but some relatives have reported being told of uncomfortable and unsanitary conditions.

Robert Giordano, of the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond, said he last spoke to his wife, Shannon, on Monday. She told him she waited in line for three hours to get a hot dog and that conditions on the ship were terrible.

"They're having to urinate in the shower. They've been passed out plastic bags to go to the bathroom," Giordano said. "There was fecal matter all over the floor."

Even more distressing, Giordano said, has been the lack of information he has been able to get from Carnival, a complaint shared by Tilley, of San Diego.

Carnival, she said, has not told families what hotel passengers will be put in or provided precise information about when they will arrive in Mobile. And that came after the cruise line switched the ship's towing destination from Progreso, Mexico, to Mobile.

Passengers are supposed to get a full refund and discounts on future cruises, and Carnival announced Wednesday they would each get an additional $500 in compensation.

Once docked, the ship will be idle through April. In addition to the dozen voyages canceled Wednesday, two other cruises were called off shortly after Sunday's fire.

Jay Herring, a former senior officer with Carnival Cruise Lines who worked on the Triumph from 2002 to 2004, said the ship was not problematic when he was on it.

The Triumph takes five generators — with one on backup — to power the ship, and 80 percent of that energy is needed to simply push the massive vessel through the water, Herring said.

Each of those generators is the size of a bus, so it's unrealistic to think that the ship could have enough backup power on board to run services when the engines die, Herring added.

"It's one of their bigger ships. It's certainly on the top end of Carnival's fleet," he said of the Triumph. "There are so many moving parts and things that can go wrong."

Link

TLDR: Carnival failed big time, and they are now doing whatever they can to prevent people from suing them to hell.

I get the refund for the cruise, but who the hell, let alone those on board, would want to take another Carnival cruise after this disaster?

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

Carnival Triumph passengers will get a full refund, a free cruise, and now a $500 check.

...all valued at close to $700 total.

I'm still trying to muster some sympathy for the passengers, but it's really tough. Taking a Karnival cruise is like touring Chernobyl and then complaining of cancer years later. You should undoubtedly know you're rolling the dice, and have no ability to sue after **** hits the fan (pun intended).

Just got caught up on all of this craziness. Bearable is probably one of the last words I would use for this cruise. I wouldn't even use it for our Klassy Kruise, and that one was a 'normal' cruise!. the part that really is amazing is that they made them eat onion sandwiches, but they've had lobster and steak available to use! That is absolutely ridiculous and really shows how much they really care about the passengers. Although, having eaten the food myself, a normal onion may be better than a terrible quality frozen freezer burned steak or lobster. No other cruise line has anywhere near the problems that they have. It was obvious on our Klassy Kruise how terribly run the company is. You would think with all the emergency 'experiences' they have had that they would be a lot more prepared and organized for things like this. The compensation is also a joke. Hey, you just had the worst cruise experience ever, so have another one! Oh, here's a steak and lobster, and $500 because we think you're stupid enough to take it and be happy (although, they probably aren't too far off).

Elissa, knowing what went on there, I don't think I could do it either. However, I would love to see the shirt for that Kruise! If we did, we should all show up wearing biohazard suits!

^^Speaking of lawsuits, I have no doubt Carnival will do everything possible to fight them once they inevitably start coming in. Instead of doing the right thing and coming to a reasonable settlement "without accepting fault."

Just read this...http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-disabled-cruise-ship-moving-again-203257767.html

Terry Thornton, senior vice president for Carnival Cruiselines, said they received an extra generator that allowed them to serve hot food on the ship Wednesday night, and that the food services will be fully operational when they are docked.

I'd be less surprised to see people jumping from the ship than I would to see people staying on that ship.

^ Where are you getting this information from? It doesn't sound accurate at all. If they were on 40% power, why isn't 40% of the ship working? Sorry, but I don't buy what you're selling.

Carnival on Monday said technicians on the Carnival Triumph had restored its freshwater system, and toilets were operating in some parts of the vessel. Some power had been restored to the ship's Lido buffet, allowing for hot coffee and limited hot food service. Power also has been restored to a limited number of elevators on the ship, making it easier for passengers to move around the vessel.

USA Today

^ That's the closest link I can currently find, but several family members have been contacted by those aboard today and have been posting on Cruise Critic regularly. For whatever reason, power has been mostly restored to the forward part of the ship only, I can't explain this unless it has something to do with the electrical system having not been damaged forward by the fire (engines are more aft).

According to those posting, passengers have been able to find power outlets that work and are using power strips to charge their cell phones and such and apparently the food hoarding was true, they asked people to stop hoarding food and began serving them (versus a buffet style they had earlier). The USCG hoisted aboard another generator earlier today to provide more hotel services, but I haven't heard what effect this may have had.

And, no, I am not a Carnival fanboy by any means. But the media is sensationalizing every morsel of information they get and are trying to make the entire industry look bad. As for how Splendor had it worse, they didn't have any power restored at all (no elevators, no hot food, etc) whereas Triumph has.

So what your saying here is, No phone, no lights, no motor cars. Not a single luxury. Like Robinson Crusoe, as primative as can be.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/gilligansislandlyrics.html

The Skipper and Gilligan would've handled this much better.

Love these updates rolling in that totally contradict every Carnival update saying all is fine

Cindel Pena, 28, said that tensions on the ship were running high, even as they approached land. She described how the gift shop had been looted of liquor and fights nearly broke out over places to plug in electronic equipment like phones and computers.

After the power went out on Sunday, things went downhill quickly, she said. While the crew tried to keep spirits up Sunday night by playing music and giving away alcohol, any attempt at festiveness failed. They stopped serving liquor on Monday, she said.

When more supplies arrived Thursday morning, she said, they brought another generator but no baby formula or diapers.

She said she thought the company was more interested in the cosmetics of how the ship looks when it docks than the welfare of the people on board.

Holy mother of crack!!! I just started reading this thread and all I have to say is the Klassy Kruise TR was the first thing to convince me never to go on a Carnival Cruise......and these past 10 pages or so just sealed the deal.

It's like a floating Superdome cruise ship since the conditions are very Hurricane Katrina like. Good lord I'd probably die if I were on that thing.

I just saw the funniest Carnival commercial. A family is on a Carnival cruise and the dad says, "This is sure better than last year." They then cut to the family stuck upside down in a coaster loop, and the mom drops her entire purse and cell phone on the ground below. Cut back to family, so glad they picked the Carnival cruise this year.

I think I know which of those two options I would take, and the irony of the family thinking back a year to their terrible experience cracked me up!

As if having to use a bag to poop in wasn't bad enough, a woman being interviewed on CNN just said many people had to share the "red bags" because there were not enough. Ummm, that's disgusting!

Oh, but Jen, these conditions really are "bearable", c'mon, shitting in a used red bag isn't THAT bad...I mean, the people on the Speldor had to crap in each others mouths. They aren't that bad off.

Edited by robbalvey

As if having to use a bag to poop in wasn't bad enough, a woman being interviewed on CNN just said many people had to share the "red bags" because there were not enough. Ummm, that's disgusting!

Oh, but Jen, these conditions really are "bearable", c'mon, shitting in a used red bag isn't THAT bad...I mean, the people on the Speldor had to crap in each others mouths. They aren't that bad off.

That made me throw up in my mouth a little. I saved it to send to Carnival to offer up as a dinner special on the re-launch of the Triumph!

It's hilarious to see all the passengers disembarking wearing the bath robes and I can't help to think this is "normal" for a Canival cruise! Lol

Amazing interviews so far. Almost everyone has said something to the effect of "they didn't tell us much." Pathetic.

^ As a business decision, I'd say that's smart.

Morally if I was Carnival, I'd own up to what happened and wouldn't try to censor those who suffered due to my own lack of being able to run a cruise line. Wait Carnival and morals don't belong in the same sentence.

As a passenger, I'd take the transport and THEN talk to the media. I wouldn't care if they gave me a free cruise, I wouldn't take it anyways so what would I have to lose by talking.

I smell a lawsuit.