TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 131: Disney Wish "Grand Hall" details teased!

I have yet to hear any passenger say anything good about this ordeal.

Most passengers said the actual crew on the ship were doing the best the could and very helpful. Meaning the "hourly/front line" workers, I'm not defending Carnival or the executives at all.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Source I really like this idea. My wife and I have always wanted to try a cruise mainly to relax and for the food. Feels almost like a starter pack for people who aren't too sure about the cost o

Posted Images

^ That's about what I've heard too. That the staff did what they could, but Carnival really told them nothing about the status overall. Several people said they heard the news about going to Mobile and the later arrival from loved ones who they were able to get texts from well before they told anyone on the ship what was actually going on.

I just can't believe that there isn't some way to drain the sewage to the sea in an emergency. Or helicopter drops of food and water bottles.

Sounds like the Superbowl all over, as far as destruction goes. But at least there haven't been any rape reports yet.

Has anyone seen the AMA.. Ask me anything from one of the passengers of the cruise? reddit ama

It's a fascinating read. I thought this was particularly interesting....

I'm sure there was some kind of waiver that you had to sign before boarding - would that prevent you from filing any sort of lawsuit in the future?
Yes, definitely! No waiver, but on the check that they will send us it's like signing a settlement. We are for sure holding off on cashing those in and we are going to participate in a class action. Nothing will stop since the unsanitary environment and how my mom is sick because of it.

I'd say it's a little early to be filing a suit, too. However, I don't know enough about what happened to say that there are no grounds for a civil action.

I think the payoff on a lawsuit after lawyers take their cut will be very little when split between everyone involved.

If Carnival really cared they would give all the passengers a free voucher for a cruise on RCCL.

Am I the only one who thinks a passanger (or passangers) on the bus/ship either, sold their soul to the devil to go on the cruise, or brought a cursed item aboard the ship?

I mean what are the chances that the ship breaks down, and then you go on a tour bus (which rarely break down) and that breaks down also?

*I am only half kidding*

Something that just dawned on me: This was the same ship that was briefly seized by U.S. Marshal's because of a lawsuit over the Concordia disaster. Mentioned in that lawsuit was how Triumph allegedly suffered from "dangerous" design flaws that factored into the Concordia disaster.

Something that just dawned on me: This was the same ship that was briefly seized by U.S. Marshal's because of a lawsuit over the Concordia disaster. Mentioned in that lawsuit was how Triumph allegedly suffered from "dangerous" design flaws that factored into the Concordia disaster.

I don't think I've heard that, but I have heard that the ship has been plagued with several electrical problems in the past. Carnival also KNEW about these problems and sent the ship out anyway.

I found an article on it being previously seized at cruisefever.net/0402-carnival-triumph-is-seized-over-lawsuit-before-allowed-to-leave-port/

The effects of the Costa Concordia wreck are still wreaking havoc on Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) as Saturday brought news of the Carnival Triumph being held as security over a lawsuit against its European sister company. US marshals were called in the seize the ship for a brief period of time at the Texas port of Galveston.

The lawsuit was levied by the family of a German tourist who died on the Costa Concordia. Plaintiff attorney, John Eaves, stated that his intent was not to inconvenience the passengers aboard the Triumph who were about to sail on a 5 day cruise to Mexico, but that he was trying to make a point.

What point? That the Carnival Triumph has some of the same safety issues that the Costa Concordia had. The lawsuit claims that the cruise line was not doing enough to address these safety concerns, and the plaintiff felt this was the only way to really get Carnival’s attention.

Eaves would not release all of the details of the conversation with Carnival but mentioned that the seizure of the ship would be released if the cruise line agreed to post a $10 million security bond in the German tourist’s lawsuit.

While the ship was seized passengers were still allowed to get on and off the ship, but the departure was delayed slightly while the details of the lawsuit were being negotiated.

A deal was struck not long after the seizure and the 2,700 plus passengers aboard the Carnival Triumph were able to resume their 5 day vacation cruise to the Yucatan peninsula and Cozumel.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Siglinde Stumpf, claims that Carnival shared responsibility for Stumpf’s death for not preparing and maintaining proper safety programs for all vessels under its control, including the ill-fated Costa Concordia.

Eaves hopes to be able to convince Carnival to campaign for changes in maritime law and also to train its captains better. After not being able to get Carnival’s attention he hopes this will wake them up and has stated, “We want a uniform set of safety standards, and we won’t stop until we get it.”

It’s hard to say that Carnival has not already woken up to these facts though, after considering the $139 million net loss in the same quarter that profited them $152 million just the year before. The fallout from the Costa Concordia wreck will continue to have ripple effects through 2012 and beyond, but with safety changes being made even now in the cruise industry it will result in a safer experience for all future cruisers.

I'd say it's a little early to be filing a suit, too. However, I don't know enough about what happened to say that there are no grounds for a civil action.

Guess again.

It took only hours for the first lawsuit to be filed, by a Texas woman who claimed in federal court that she suffered physical and emotional harm because Carnival failed to provide a seaworthy vessel and sanitary conditions, Reuters reported. Other lawsuits were expected.

So parents planned a last minute cruise this March on a Holland America ship. Since this is my first time sailing with them, anyone know what I should expect in terms of things to do onboard like activities/shows/etc?

Edited by netdvn
So folks planned a last minute cruise this March on a Holland America ship. Since this is my first time sailing with them, anyone know what I should expect in terms of things to do onboard in terms of activities/shows/etc?

Shitting in a bag apparantly.

^I'm sure that Carnival Personalized Toilet Bags will become a very popular item in their gift shops during future voyages.

This is why I will NEVER go on a cruise! I'll take a simple bus trip, thank you, at least if the bus breaks down, I can go to the bathroom at a rest stop!

This is such a stupid and uneducated statement to make. There are plenty of cruise lines and ships that are fantastic.

This is just as dumb of a statement as someone saying they will "never ride another roller coaster again" because the only coaster they've ridden is an SLC.

--Robb

^^ You're definitely missing out on a good time. One accident on what everyone calls the Wal-Mart of the seas shouldn't turn people off from an awesome experience.

- Next everyone's gonna say roller coasters are unsafe too

EDIT: Looks like Robb beat me to the punch

What are the chances that the ship mysteriously disappears from Carnival's fleet within a few months and suddenly Costa has a replacement for Concordia?

Knowing Carnival, they'd pass it off as a new ship.

Wouldn't surprise me.....