TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

Posted Images

Yeah, I doubt an Intamin drop tower can ever top a Moser when it comes to downtime. I know this from local experience.

I still think it's funny that the small Powerpark in Finland added a Mach Tower clone and have operated it without problems for 2 seasons now!

Has it been established what kind of restraints this has yet? The concept art looks like normal LSM coaster restraints (Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, ect.) but I wonder if those restraints would work well for that. They absorb vertical and lateral Gs well but 1 g of forward acceleration? I really think that might put too much stress on them to keep using that foam material (though it might be stronger than I think), could we be looking at I-305-esque harnesses here?

The thing with this is that if it tilts you down that much, you'd want restraints like a flyer IMO. Intamin has yet to make anything flyer-like if I'm correct. Maybe they'll stick with the LSM restraints like they have on zacspins if I'm correct.

Though those loose restraints + looking straight down 330 feet = HOLY CRAP!!!!!

^I am really hoping they go with something super soft and supportive like a Flyer restraint. The last thing I want to feel on this ride is that I am going to break a collar bone or fall out. lol This ride truly looks terrifying.

Also, take this with a grain of salt but, while at Howl-O-Scream on Thursday night I asked one of the ride ops at Gwazi what the fate of the ride was, and he told me they expected to demolish it in the spring (May2014). He also went on to speculate that the replacement would be hyper coaster. So its a stretch I know, but interesting non the less.

On the plus side, Gwazi was running slightly better than the past year. NOT GOOD or enjoyable but better than my last ride. All the steel coasters seemed to be running at their peak. Had maybe one of the best rides on Kumba ever. Back row in the dark, cold air, running super smooth and forceful. Still my favorite coaster.

Well there seems to be a lot of talk going around about a hyper replacement for Gwazi. It sure would have been nice to see it get the topper track treatment like Texas Giant and Rattler did. The last decent wood coaster in Florida I recall was the Hurricane from defunct Boardwalk and Baseball. I never got a chance to ride Starliner when it was still at Miracle Strip or Cypress Gardens. The former Triple Hurricane at the now Legoland was decent for a small woodie. As for the speculated hyper for Busch, let's hope for a good one that's taller than Sheikra.

Well there seems to be a lot of talk going around about a hyper replacement for Gwazi. It sure would have been nice to see it get the topper track treatment like Texas Giant and Rattler did. The last decent wood coaster in Florida I recall was the Hurricane from defunct Boardwalk and Baseball. I never got a chance to ride Starliner when it was still at Miracle Strip or Cypress Gardens. The former Triple Hurricane at the now Legoland was decent for a small woodie. As for the speculated hyper for Busch, let's hope for a good one that's taller than Sheikra.

Is it too late to count out the RMC rehab for Gwazi? I always thought that the only issue that would prevent that would be lack of maintenance, and I want to say they've been maintaining the Tiger side, though I could very well be wrong.

Restoring Gwazi to more than its former glory with RMC iron horse track and the like would be great. Paint the rails the respective color of the track (yellow rails on Lion, blue rails on Tiger) and get Rocky Mountain or Gerstlauer to make trains and it'll be good as new AND a people eater! Maybe even add a high-speed barrel roll/upside-down high five element on the two airtime hops where the trains intersect each other. I've not ridden it (I get to go through such a painful rite of passage to the online coaster community in a couple days) but it looks beautiful on Google Streetview and it'd be unfortunate to have to tear something that looks that pretty down.

That being said, how painful is it compared to Son of Beast, Mean Streak, The Beast, and Thunderhead? Just out of curiosity. My dad wants to know because he doesn't like rough rides and I'm honestly wondering the same thing.

I love the Paint Scheme for Falcon's Fury on the post on the previous page. And last thing i heard recently that Gwazi will be replaced around 2015-2016 and the latest rumor is that it will be a B&M Giga thats over 300 ft tall similar to Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland.

Ok I might be just crazy but I don't want a Hyper Coaster as the replacement for Gwazi. It would be nice to have, but I think something else would be better.

In my opinion, I feel like the park should make a complete overhaul to the entrance (something similar to what they're doing over at SeaWorld San Diego). Also, a family attraction of some sort (not Antarctica, but something a lot better) would be in the best interest for the park. I was at the park recently this summer and it was sad to see how this place has become. All of the cut backs, the upkeep of the park, and just the overall atmosphere seemed very boring and depressed. It seems that a family attraction would bring more families to this park which is what was in absence of what I saw. It was mostly a group of teenagers walking around the park that you would find at a Six Flags park. Also, it looked very empty. A good family dark ride would be terrific. Just a ride that could follow something that shows all of these scenes and places from Africa (a mix between Harry Potter and Soarin' type of ride) and ya!

Personally, I think they might put in a permanent venue for shows inside gwazi field before they add another ride. Honestly, they use that area a lot now for a multitude of things, and it would be beneficial to add the venue for seasonal reasons and concerts.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever they built, I hope the land is developed for a series of new additions. Gwazi field/Gwazi make up a HUGE area of the park.

300444454_ScreenShot2013-10-28at11_16_07PM.png.3a10d07e9c30807e2db6ad891daad0eb.png

There is more than enough space for muti-year expansions. I still think a new permanent venue could be coming to gwazi field and a new themed area to the rest.

I'd like to see a compact giga coaster in the spot where Gwazi is now. Something like the prefab giga designs RCT2 came with where it's just a mess of turns and airtime hills. I could see B&M pulling this off and it looking really nice.

The issue with a giga is that there's really not much they could theme it to. The only aggressive African animals I can think of would be the tiger (now that Gwazi's gone) and rhino (while they have Rhino Rally, there is Falcon's Fury and SheiKra), maybe the wildebeest. I think the tiger would be the best option, but it still doesn't scream "giga" to me in my opinion. But still, paint the track orange with teal supports as a Gwazi tribute and I could see it working well.

Is it too late to count out the RMC rehab for Gwazi? I always thought that the only issue that would prevent that would be lack of maintenance, and I want to say they've been maintaining the Tiger side, though I could very well be wrong.

Restoring Gwazi to more than its former glory with RMC iron horse track and the like would be great. Paint the rails the respective color of the track (yellow rails on Lion, blue rails on Tiger) and get Rocky Mountain or Gerstlauer to make trains and it'll be good as new AND a people eater! Maybe even add a high-speed barrel roll/upside-down high five element on the two airtime hops where the trains intersect each other. I've not ridden it (I get to go through such a painful rite of passage to the online coaster community in a couple days) but it looks beautiful on Google Streetview and it'd be unfortunate to have to tear something that looks that pretty down.

That being said, how painful is it compared to Son of Beast, Mean Streak, The Beast, and Thunderhead? Just out of curiosity. My dad wants to know because he doesn't like rough rides and I'm honestly wondering the same thing.

As for a barrel roll, it would have to happen here:

It would be the perfect spot for one.

As for how painful it is, I have never been on another wooden coaster, but Gwazi isn't too bad. I can ride it more than once without bodily injury, and it is definitely better with the MF trains than with the old PTC ones. I could barely make it through one ride without getting a headache on those.

I didn't think Gwazi was bad when I was at the park in April. Seeing as I was used to rough woodies, and I did sit in the front row as well, I thought it was a decent ride. It gave me a thrill factor, but I would rather ride all the other rides in the park.

Personally, I think they might put in a permanent venue for shows inside gwazi field before they add another ride. Honestly, they use that area a lot now for a multitude of things, and it would be beneficial to add the venue for seasonal reasons and concerts.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever they built, I hope the land is developed for a series of new additions. Gwazi field/Gwazi make up a HUGE area of the park.

I think the land is capable of supporting a more permanent show venue in addition to a major new attraction/realm. Just look at what Sheikra did to the little corner of Stanleyville when it was added. I think we'll continue to see new coasters at Busch Gardens designed with entirely new lands/realms in mind, bringing in other offerings like dining venues, entertainment and animal spaces all into one, like we've seen with Cheetah Hunt, Jungala and (by a stretch) Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins.

I was on streetview and noticed some undeveloped land back behind Kumba and Congo River Rapids. Is this owned by the park? If it is, maybe they put some sort of covered bridge over Congo River Rapids to get back there? I don't think a Leviathan-esque coaster could fit in Gwazi's spot. I know B&M's magic and could make it fit if they really wanted to but that space back there seems more likely for a giga.

I don't see Gwazi's land as fit for a theater and the reason being is focus. When I went to BGW in 2007, the shows we saw were amazing (Kinetix, Pet Shenanigans, and Castle O'Sullivan, which was my favorite), but I feel like Blackstone puts less emphasis on these shows than the previous owners did. The park seems to have a lot of show buildings and it really needs something big if they want to outdo the rest of the tough competition in Florida. A giga could easily do this, maybe so could a wing coaster. Put the wing coaster in Gwazi's spot and the giga behind Kumba. Maybe a nice air-conditioned dark attraction would fit somewhere in the park, maybe a sister ride to DarKastle in Egypt with Montu. I could also see an S&S Screamin' Swing towering over Egypt with scarabs painted on the arch.

One thing I've always wondered about the park is whether or not BGT is BeeGT. In other words, does this park have the "bees swarm on lift hills" issue that other parks (Dollywood, Carowinds, BGW) has? If so, that could make life really suck on Falcon's Fury. Usually you just move through it and go faster than any bee would probably bother to chase you, but if the tower sways and rocks a nest up there while it's flipping you forward, you stay in the same spot. I'm not sure if drop towers (especially ones this tall) have this issue but I'd like to know if the park in general has it, particularly on Cheetah Hunt at this time of year, how long it usually lasts before it's cleared up, and if there's a strategy to avoid letting it keep you from credits.

Last paranoid Jarrett question, I promise, but does Cheetah Hunt have a height max? It isn't listed on the website. I know Maverick is 6'5 and I'm less than that, should I be fine?

Can't wait to go! Thanks for all the help here, everybody!

^I really disagree with your opinion on Blackstone and shows. They did plan to bring new show experiences to our Florida parks, especially at Busch Gardens. I.E. Iceploration, Madagascar, A is for Africa, the (6) Christmas Shows that have been revamped/created for Christmas Town, new street experiences, and more!

While yes, they seem to be more adamant with creating more thrills for guests, they haven't forgotten how to make the park a full package. So, honestly, I actually think Blackstone has been putting equal focus on show experiences as the previous owners have, especially at BGT.

• 2 weeks later...

Busch Gardens Tampa has sent us a press release announcing the debut of Live from Little People Place presented by Fisher Price for one weekend this month.

For more than five decades, Busch Gardens® Tampa has set the industry’s standard for delivering unforgettable entertainment experiences. From Nov. 20-21, the park is continuing the tradition by partnering with Fisher Price to welcome Fisher Price presents LIVE FROM LITTLE PEOPLE PLACE™.

Fisher Price has stood by their position to celebrate people, places and things through discoveries that spark little stories and big imaginations. Fisher Price presents LIVE FROM LITTLE PEOPLE PLACE™ will give guests the chance to meet the characters that have been a part of a global brand for more than 54 years.

Kids will get a chance to meet Eddie™ (high energy & a ready, fire, aim kind of boy), Sofie (fashion experimenter who is curious & questioning), Tessa (the go-getter who loves to twirl), Mia® (sensitive & gentle, prim & proper) and Koby (the silly jester, full of cosmic energy) during this live stage show.

The five kid characters are led by their teacher and guide, and through song and dance take the audience on an adventure filled with exploration and discovery. Fisher Price presents LIVE FROM LITTLE PEOPLE PLACE!™ is showing for a limited time at Busch Gardens’ Marrakesh Theater.

Kids Get In Free

During show days, Nov. 20-21, children up to age 9 can come enjoy Fisher Price presents LIVE FROM LITTLE PEOPLE PLACE™, along with the rest of Busch Gardens, for FREE. Visit buschgardens.com for details.

Show times are 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. each day. Guests can also take part in a meet-n-greet with the stars from Fisher Price presents LIVE FROM LITTLE PEOPLE PLACE!™ at 11:45 a.m. at Zagora Café.

Be the first to know about new events, special deals and future announcements by following the park’s blog at BuschGardensTampaBlog.com. You can also “like” the Busch Gardens Facebook page, and follow @buschgardens on Twitter, on Pinterest and Instagram.

1893236900_LPLiveMusicalShowLOGO2013rgb.thumb.jpg.7bbe7915b8410ad8ead5947842a18399.jpg

Pose1.thumb.jpg.725bc85849b2ed11a8279bb19f4a779d.jpg

Pose2.thumb.jpg.83d593f4656f56762ff4c1271e4339dc.jpg

168499977_Pose3Art.thumb.jpg.5190ec7a879dfd0fddfab98ecc07bd44.jpg

1966051357_Pose4Dance.thumb.jpg.e69c5aaca5ba462f520c5be11083671f.jpg