TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The end of a thrilling decade.

This decade will reach to its end in 2 months, and there are many things that we can resume of the first decade of the new millennium.

There are important facts that we can remember and here are some of them:

- Arrow Dynamics disappear, and is buyed by S&S Power.

- Mr. Anton Schwarzkopf, RIP

- New 4th dimension coaster is constructed.

- New Flying coaster coaster is constructed.

- Six Flags chain, expand, sell, and fall in Bankruptcy.

- Giga coaster is constructed. - Strata coaster is constructed.

- 10 inversion coaster is constructed.

- Classic Big Bad Wolf coaster is closed.

- New Hard Rock Park, open, close, and reopen as Freestyle Music Park.

This is only a short list of some important things that happened this decade.

What else do you consider important on this decade?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To name a few...

-The rebirth of the Dive Machine and the boom of vertical and beyond drops.

-The break of the 100 mph barrier.

-The closing of Geauga Lake's theme park.

I think in the next decade, we can expect to see...

-The rise of Mack.

-And Vekoma. Yeah, I said it. I am all for giving this company a try with their new track style and trains a la Battlestar Gallactica.

-Great, and record setting, coasters built outside of the US. I say this with Dubai and China in mind.

-Significant changes in the CF and SF chains. I just can't see CF carrying their debt load and sliding by, unless they are somehow more elusive than Six Flags.

-Jordan (myself) in the industry! Bam!

I think the decade saw your average theme park guest become more sophisticated and informed (helped with the rise of the internet)...The average public became better informed consumers. Visitors to parks expect more from new attractions...they expect a rides to be smoother, more reliable, better themed, etc.

The parks have also expected more from the ride manufacturers. With increased technology (computer aided design and manufacturing), and new construction techniques, the parks expect nothing but the best and will not tolerate anything else.

I may be way off on this, but its just my observation

^ Yes, but you rose to prominence this decade, and have given notice that you are ready for world domination now......or something like that.

I wouldn't say domination of the entire world...

More like domination of every bar within a 20 mile radius of every park with a coaster in it in the entire world.

Big things in Australia:

*Finally got a reasonably good coaster - Superman Escape, which dethroned a Vekoma SLC of the number one ranking in Australia.

*Vekoma Boomerang in Sydney got sent to Alabama for it's crimes.

*Wonderland Sydney (aka piss weak world) closed.

*Luna Park Sydney closed and then re-opened.

*Arrow Looper evicted from Sydney residence.

*Water park instals coaster

*Intamin version of the booster bike installed.

*Another Intamin version of the booster bike installed 10 miles south of previous one.

I think for me it has been the removal of some of the bigger rides we've seen. Batman and Robin: The Chiller, Hypersonic, Son of the Beast (maybe), are just among a few of the rides that we've seen taken out, despite being the talk of the industry when installed.

In the same vein I look at the changes that Six Flags has undergone in the last 10 years. It has been a very interesting 10 years.

Hmm...Six Flags Magic Mountain introduced four major rollercoasters in four years:

Goliath, 2000

Deja Vu, 2001

X, 2002

Scream!, 2003

Cedar Fair took a themed park with a quaint charm and a historic background and added Perilous Plunge in 2000, Xcelerator in 2002, Silver Bullet in 2004, Sierra Sidewinder in 2007, and Pony Express in 2008-all of which overcrowded the park with steel-not flesh. With the addition of a 27 year old drop ride to headline cap-ex for 2010, the next 10 years aren't looking great for Knott's next year.

Walt's original Magic Kingdom became a resort in 2001 with the expansion of Disney's California Adventure and Downtown Disney.

Cedar Point introduced the worlds tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world in Top Thrill Dragster-circa 2003, only to be one upped in 2005 with Great Adventure's Kingda Ka...almost as if Six Flags gave Cedar Fair a 456 ft. middle finger for trying to become a "world's blank-est" type chain.

A coaster surge in the Far East.

A surge in internet forums with adolescent males becoming experts in the them park management field.

A change of Leadership at the helm of Six Flags promising a change in business, only to have done the same thing as the previous leadership...but much much cheaper.

The accquisition of BEG to blackstone, giving a great company with a bleek future to rise to prominence in the next decade

The induction of Mr. Six as the face of the chain in 2002, his death in 2007, and his rebirth in 2009.

Cedar Fair thinking it was going to be "smarter" than Six Flags, buying the Paramount chain...and finding itself in debt...and propoing to sell three parks

...and others, who weren't so lucky.

For me one of the most interesting things over the last 10 years is the reversal of Six Flags and Cedar Fair - with the latter becoming the most run-of-the-mill McDonalds-like with their parks and attractions. Six Flags is still far from gourmet food, but it's certainly a big step up from where it was.

I'm very much looking forward to the next 10 years (heck, even the next 3 will be super interesting). I guess that's just part of the fun of this hobby

Cameron.

- New Orleans' "Jazzland" (SFNO) park was built, bankrupt, bought out by Six Flags, flooded, ignored for three years, and then involved in possible scandals surrounding new possible owners all in a 9-year period.

- Audio elements were added to rollercoasters, as well as fire and lighting effects unprecedented to anyone in the industry until this time (looking at X2 and Bizzaro).

- The "our wooden coaster goes 90 DEGREES" boom.

- GCI and their Millenium Flyers.

- The failed (correct me if otherwise) Rollersoakers.

- The lesson of "Don't Rush The Prototype" is learned the hard way by SFI when introducing Vekoma's Giant Inverted Boomerang (De'ja Vu) coasters.

- The only monorail crash in Disney's history happened.

Also, guys...

ASTROWORLD CLOSES.

^ Nah, we were here in the 90s too...

Yea, I think I used to frequently check out TPR maybe around 1998-1999 or so.

As someone mentioned, the Cedar Fair take-over on the Paramount parks, and I'll add the semi-dramatic name changes we encountered (Flight Deck, Drop Tower) from rides we grew up with having a different name.

And the outbreak of coaster sims/games: No Limits, Hyper Rails, Scream Machines, Ultimate Ride, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and the lesser-known Roller Coaster Factory games