TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When did you start riding coasters?

Space Freak

So, out of curiosity, when did you all start getting interested in riding coasters?

For me, the first coaster that i rode, and liked, was a vekoma SLC (Gve me a break, it was the first year it was open, and i dont remember it being all that rough). That was in high school sometime. Since then, i have gotten extermely involved and love em...

Rob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually hated roller coasters until I was about 12 years old. Then my best friend from NY basically forced me on some and I started liking them a bit more...when Kumba opened in 1993 I was hooked, it was my first 'big' coaster and I loved it! I started to get a bit more involved in the coaster community when I was about 16/17.

Now I've been on over 500 coasters so I guess I'm involved a lot!

Elissa "awww, Kumba is old!" Alvey

My first real coaster was the Giant Dipper as well, at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

I then made the long trek to PGA to check out the Grizzly, and it sucked, thank god they have some decent steel coasters there, I LOVE Top Gun

I actually hated roller coasters until I was about 12 years old. Then my best friend from NY basically forced me on some and I started liking them a bit more...when Kumba opened in 1993 I was hooked, it was my first 'big' coaster and I loved it! I started to get a bit more involved in the coaster community when I was about 16/17.

Now I've been on over 500 coasters so I guess I'm involved a lot!

Elissa "awww, Kumba is old!" Alvey

What about Montu? Have you ridden it??

My first coaster was Dragon mountain at Marineland, I was soo afraid it took me 2 years to ride, then my first ride led to 7 in a row. They actually had to kick me off. I was then hooked.

During the 90s I didnt ride a single coaster, just wasnt interested. Then in 2000 It was like Coaster fever, like an addiction. Its pathetic , I actually go through withdrawl up here in Canada, about Nov. till March, then The blood starts pumping for the end of April.

Enough of my pathetic life. :?

For me, I started riding coasters as early as I can remember.

I rode Matterhorn when I was probably about 3 or 4 years old. Space mountain when I was about 7. And I can remember riding Colossus at SFMM in it's opening year in 1978. I even had one of those big buttons that said "I rode it!" I only wish I knew what happened to that button now.

The weird thing is, my parents HATE coasters! They would always take me to parks, but never ride any coasoters with me. I either went with my sister, or friends.

So I guess you can say I've been riding coaster for the past 31 years!

--Robb "Yes, I know...showing my age!" Alvey

I was always a fan of Disney cartoons and Disneyland. Growing up in Socal, it was usually an annual trip to Disneyland. I can't remember being scared about getting on Matterhorn or Space Mountain, it was just part of the day.

Yet, my first visit to Magic Mountain in 1985 was what got me hooked. It was my seventh birthday and I guess Revolution (fun!) and Colossus (scary back then!) were my first big coasters.

My first coaster was the "Teddy Bear" at Old Coney Island here in Cincinnati... today, that coaster is known as the Beastie, at PKI. I was petrified of "big coasters" in part due to the fact that I was born with a serious heart condition and my mom was afraid for me to go on them, so whenever someone suggested it, she stepped in. I wasn't really afraid of the ride itself, but my mother had me convinced that my heart would explode or something if I rode. Finally, when I was about 11 or 12 my big brother talked her into letting me go with him on the Screamin' Eagle at Americana, which was in Middletown, Ohio. Well, that sucker was brutal, but I lived, so I got a lot braver. Over time, I either got brave and tried a bigger one, or some friend of mine forced me on. That was the case with my first looping coaster, the old Screamin' Demon at Kings Island. My two best friends made me wait in line with them and when we got to the top they wouldn't let me step out of line.

I have since ridden every coaster at every park I have had the pleasure to visit, but because of my heart condition, and the fact that I was in congestive heart failure when my daughter was born 6 1/2 years ago, I don't think I am going to chance riding something like TTD. I think Millenium is where I draw the line.

Shari "They don't post those warnings for nothing" Shoufler

Like Many other people who grew up in So. cal. I started with Disneyland. You know The Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and when it got put in Gadget's Go a coaster...or whatever that thing is called. Then when I was about 7 or so I went to Knotts and rode some there. They had these Soap Box Derby car things there that I guess kinda count as half a coaster. I went on Montie a few times but I was really scared of Boomerange. I remember thinking that it was so bad that the ride op's gave people puke bags before the ride started so the riders could use them during the ride. ( oh man was I dumb back then )

I guess the first "real" coaster I rode was WindJammer, I was too small to feel any headbanged, so I loved it and was dissapointed when they ripped it out. I got enough guts to ride Boomerange and I loved it. In April of 2003 I went to SFMM and fell inlove with actual coasters.

And thats how I lost my coaster virginity.

(it's in there somewhere ^ )

Unless you want to count kiddie coasters. Little Rickies Twister (I believe thats what it was called) at Riverside (Before the park was flagged). I think when I first rode it i hated it but I liked it afterwards. Then my first big boy coaster was Thunderbolt which I didn't like either the first time since it gave me that sinking feeling in my stomich. But right in 2000 my sister dragged me on Superman: Ride of Steel and thats when I offically became a coaster enthusist. Now no coasters scare me.

Craiggers "I was a late bloomer" K.

My first coaster (besides those pathetic Dragon ones, but ya still gotta love those ) was Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags Darien Lake...I don't know about everyone else, but at 7 years old I thought it was horrifying going from tiny Dragon coasters to ones that were 200+ feet tall; but I ended up loving it! I think the first coaster I rode that went upside down was the Raptor at Cedar Point when I was 7 or 8.

-:-Melissa-:-

Here's my story:

I was just a carefree little 4 year old who has already ridden Ridgeline Racer at American Adventures (a dinky little Six Flags park in GA, though it was not run by Six Flags at the time) when I was taken to Six Flags. I rode the Dahlonega Mine Train and got hooked on it! Then I was in a coaster slump until I was 7. I had my birthday party at Six Flags GA and rode, for the first time, the Great American Screem Machine. My first real coaster, I had the time of my life! Now whenever we can, me and my Uncle (who lives in NJ, lucky him) ride coasters all day. But since I am young, I only have 22 coasters down my belt! I have ridden 6/10 coasters at Six Flags, and soon to be 9/10 (the other one is Delay'ja'vu! that is never open...) this coaster season! I havn't ridden the Georgia Scorcher, Ninja, and Superman: Ultimate Flight. But I have a feeling that the 2005 coaster season is going to be epic!

..::==++|=|Pixelated|=|++==::..

Well believe it or not my first ride was on the Whizzer at Great America in Santa Clara. It was also my only ride on that particular coaster. I was in a summer day camp thing and I went on the ride at the end of the day and was scared incredibly. I can't really remember anything about the ride except watching the trains climb the screw lift.

So yeah my first coaster ride ever was also the only ride I ever got on that ride... Kinda has always left an empty spot in me...

I first started riding and getting into coaster big time back in 2002 however my first decent sized coaster was a little custom Vekoma at a small park in the Ardeness Region of Belgium. I was absululty terrified. However my first major coaster was on my first visit to Alton Towers and I rode AIR for the first time. Got stuck on it though, but thats a different story. But yer, it rocked and I havn't looked back since.

I lived in Arizona. Ok yea, yes, I always went to Castles n' Coasters (SHUT UP! You will make me cry ) anyways, my first coaster would have to be Patriot, when I was 8.

But in Arizona, back when I was 8, Desert Storm(the F'ed up coaster) was F'ing huge, so I will call that my first big coaster. Well after my first time on Patriot, 3 visits later (or about 2 weeks) I was already on Desert Strom.

My first ride wasnt a very good one. I didnt sit back all the way and was forced looking down at my feet during the loops. But amazingly I still have a pix of tht first ride......

April 7, 1998, OMG I look like a nerd.....im the one in orange

sorry no scanner

My first roller coaster was the Demon at Great America, back in the early 80's when it was still called "Marriott's." My brother, three years older than I, got us in line and told me it was the line for the carousel.

Little did I know what we were in line for, until we got inside the train.

But I was hooked!!!

well i wanted to interject my 2 cents lol

my first coaster was the little rocking roller coaster it was fun

at opryland - i liked the big version ( rockin roller coaster) but it

wasnt untill my aunt tricked me onto wabash cannon ball ( saying it wasnt the ride i thought it was ) that i can

say i was hooked.