TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

NOOOOOOOOO!!! While I didn't get to BGW much, the Big Bad Wolf was by far my favorite coaster there.

It's sad that the suspended coasters never were as popular as they could have been, and unlike some other coasters out there, you can't just take BBW to another park and build it again, the scenery and the way it fit so perfectly with the rest of the landscape made it such a unique experience.

This is a really bad decision by those in charge. They could have modified it with floorless trains and made it super popular again...but no, they decide to scrap it instead

I'm not that disappointed with BGE removing BBW. I mean they would only remove a great coaster to replace it with something great right? I don't believe that KD is in competition with BGE however BGE probably realizes what KD is getting next year & would like to throw something at KD. I've ridden BBW 8x & did find it enjoyable. I doubt I'll be able to visit BGE before the Christmas Town event so it looks like 8x on BBW is it for me. I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement for what is replacing BBW.

Everyone is entitiled to there opinion.....But, im just saying that most people who say that they are not dissapointed in seeing this coaster go, have not enjoyed a trip at "The Speed Of Fright".

I know all of you are claiming how great it will be to have a terrain B&M Flyer replace BBW, but I for one think that's a terrible idea.

Busch is such a nice family park, and I really feel the ride should be replaced by another 42'' height requirement ride. I mean, it would kind of suck to go from BBW, to a foot taller requirement ride!

I feel bad for all the little kids who rode it this summer and will find it gone next summer with a "sorry, go try the kiddie coaster in the Sesame Street Area" sign.

Perhaps a nice big spinner or even a 'fixed up version' of the S&S Tranan thing?

Again, seeing all of these parks through a 'non-enthusiast' eye, I really think they should get a middle of the road ride, not a giant 54'' B&M.

As my favorite comedian would say "F*ck the children!". I'm not paying $50+ for mild rides (Ok, maybe I am also, but that's besides the point! ). BBW had some intense moments and that's what I loved about it. If they are tearing it down, it better be for a kick-as* coaster. I want an intense terrain coaster, no messing around. If they are going to replace such a great ride, it better be with something BETTER, not worse.

And yes, that is my enthusiast opinion. It's the only opinion I really care about.

Couldn't agree with you more. If Busch Gardens added another B&M, or even a woodie, I think I would actually go there more than once a year, rather than hanging out at Six Flags America and Kings Dominion. 4 B&Ms at one park would be absolutely great. All I can say is they better go Big with this "replacement", or as usual I will not be going to Busch Gardens anytime soon.

This is why SF scores major points with me with their costly Schwarzkopf preservation program. The millions they spent weren't marketable and probably didn't cause a single bump in attendance, but they did it anyway. A visit to SFGAM, SFOG or SFOT just wouldn't be the same without these amazing classic park favorites, a very big part of the park's heart and soul.

BBW is also a very big part of the heart and soul of BGW, I have to wonder if AB still owned the parks if they wouldn't have spent the money to keep BBW going for more generations to enjoy. With their obvious pride in their namesake parks, the ride's notoriety and being a GP favorite, things might have turned out very different.

As a purely business decision I can understand InBev not being able to justify the cost vs ROI, but it still sucks. With the replacement being the first new addition planned by InBev, can't say I have high hopes it'll be anything as spectacular as we've seen in the AB days. Whole new owner, whole new way of doing business, it's now all about the numbers.

I really enjoyed this coaster when I visited. It will be a big loss to the park.

Having kids who are just getting started into liking coasters, this would be a perfect start - I hope that they do replace it with something kids can enjoy. I know that there are many coaster enthusaist who want a bigger, faster, more intense ride, but as a theme park enthusaist, I think that there is more to a good park than big coasters. The terrain of the BBW and it's family appeal make it a perfect coasters for a park where there aren't many other family coasters.

I will miss this ride...

David

I know all of you are claiming how great it will be to have a terrain B&M Flyer replace BBW, but I for one think that's a terrible idea.

Busch is such a nice family park, and I really feel the ride should be replaced by another 42'' height requirement ride. I mean, it would kind of suck to go from BBW, to a foot taller requirement ride!

I feel bad for all the little kids who rode it this summer and will find it gone next summer with a "sorry, go try the kiddie coaster in the Sesame Street Area" sign.

Perhaps a nice big spinner or even a 'fixed up version' of the S&S Tranan thing?

Again, seeing all of these parks through a 'non-enthusiast' eye, I really think they should get a middle of the road ride, not a giant 54'' B&M.

As my favorite comedian would say "F*ck the children!". I'm not paying $50+ for mild rides (Ok, maybe I am also, but that's besides the point! ). BBW had some intense moments and that's what I loved about it. If they are tearing it down, it better be for a kick-as* coaster. I want an intense terrain coaster, no messing around. If they are going to replace such a great ride, it better be with something BETTER, not worse.

And yes, that is my enthusiast opinion. It's the only opinion I really care about.

Couldn't agree with you more. If Busch Gardens added another B&M, or even a woodie, I think I would actually go there more than once a year, rather than hanging out at Six Flags America and Kings Dominion. 4 B&Ms at one park would be absolutely great. All I can say is they better go Big with this "replacement", or as usual I will not be going to Busch Gardens anytime soon.

Your selfish, closed minded "enthusiast" opinions are ruining "family parks." Sounds like you guys just need to go hang out at Kings Dominion and Six Flags America then.

There are places for you, and it's clearly NOT Busch Parks. Are you not smart enough to realize that if all you want is "Big Coaster, Big Coaster, Big Coaster, Big Coaster, etc..." then you're going to turn Busch Gardens into Kings Dominion.

Just look at what that mentality did to Knott's Berry Farm...

--Robb

Your selfish, closed minded "enthusiast" opinions are ruining "family parks." Sounds like you guys just need to go hang out at Kings Dominion and Six Flags America then.

There are places for you, and it's clearly NOT Busch Parks. Are you not smart enough to realize that if all you want is "Big Coaster, Big Coaster, Big Coaster, Big Coaster, etc..." then you're going to turn Busch Gardens into Kings Dominion.

--Robb

I couldn't agree more with Mr.Alvey. Busch is not one of these "let's add a coaster for the sake of it parks". They put thought into other attractions besides rollercoasters which makes it a family destination.

I just emailed the park to express my opinions about The Big Bad Wolf. While I have never been to the park, I have heard nothing but great things about the ride and I would be very disappointed if the park really does scrap it. I remember back when the Whizzer at Six Flags Great America was planned to be removed for Superman. I wasn't a big coaster enthusiast back then, only a kid who wanted to have fun. And when fun meant rides with a height requirement under 54 inches, Whizzer was my favorite ride in the park. That's why I was heart broken to see a sign above it that said it was the last year to ride the Whizzer. I only went to the park once that year and was extremely happy to see the ride still open the next year. There was so much uproar over the rides removal that Six Flags saved it from the junkyard. I can only hope that Busch Gardens will do the same with The Big Bad Wolf.

Okay... my trip to the DC area the 3rd week of August (to visit family) had me taking a side trip to Hershey... my very sympathetic (and very cool) family has agreed to go to Busch instead... My partner is VERY excited as this is his very first trip to this park... so a big loss in Big Bad Wolf... but a BIG win that I'll get to pay my final respects to her... I just couldn't see myself fully enjoying myself during this time at Hershey, knowing that just an hour travel times extra to the south would have brought me to BBW (and all the other wonderful coasters...) I would have felt overridden with guilt... I can already see myself honestly getting choked and teary eyed up after my last (even next to last ride) on Wolfie... I might even cry in public... (I'll try not to, but really depends on how many beers I've sipped down...)

All in all its going to be a very bittersweet visit to the park for us... but I'm really looking forward to it and glad my family was on board with my changes to the itinerary!

^^^I kind of have mixed feelings. I can see why R&E are against the KD thrill-ride approach (I'm sure they don't want to see a family atmosphere park like BGE descend down the same thrill-oriented path that so corrupted KBF) and there are many family rides that I would enjoy.

Kind of a bad choice of words, mind you, although the enthusiast inside me does agree with you to some extent. Although I like B&M Flyers and I think a GCI woodie would fit in well, I'd be just as excited to ride a Dragon's Fury-like Maurer spinner. Personally, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for an Intamin Ball Coaster or an S&S Eagle Coaster.

Still a park on my "must visit' list.

Errgg...I hate seeing an old Arrow go. I've only been to BGE once back in 1991 or so when I was like 6 and I was too scared to go on Big Bad Wolf. Now that I actually do want to ride it, I probably won't ever get to ride it!

Whatever they put in I hope they at least choose a similar theme or name since Big Bad Wolf was such an awesome theme for the coaster. lol

I haven't had a chance to comment on this until now...

For me, this is really, really sad. This is right up there with the removal of High Speed Thrill Coaster @ Knoebels. I feel like my right arm is being removed

It's kind of weird because the last time I was there, I was contemplating on buying a stuffed howling wolf @ Wolf Gifts. We kept passing it and I kept thinking, "WTF am I gonna do with a stuffed wolf????" Finally I thought, "What the heck" and bought one. I'm glad I did now; I don't really have any other wolfie souvenirs.

I trust Busch Gardens enough to [*hopefully*] replace it with something really good (I try not to think of DarKastle in this case). But nonetheless, IMO, it's a big, big loss and I'm going to miss it terribly. I really hope BG knows what they're doing.

^^ Knowing InBev.....

In approximately 3-5 years the land Wolf and Drachen Fire sat on will be a new country for BGE. Wait for it, wait.....BELGIUM!

Until then it will be another clearing of land and they will decorate the walkways around it with flower pots and Oktoberfest banners.

We will have to consider ourselves fortunate if they at least leave the BBW station and its covered queue and turn them into Howl-o-Scream mazes for 2010-2012.

--Robb

Look at what adding lots of huge coasters did for Cedar Point, look at what Cedar Fair has done with the Paramount Parks. They added huge new coasters, and attendance went up. I have a feeling if Busch Gardens does not plan to add a new country with a huge new coaster, Kings Dominion may very well beat them in attendance. When You look around Busch Gardens, you already see two sections of the park solely dedicated to family attractions, now they really need to wow us and the GP with something Huge.

When You look around Busch Gardens, you already see two sections of the park solely dedicated to family attractions, now they really need to wow us and the GP with something Huge.

No, they don't need to.

A solid, signature 42" - 48" attaction would be just fine.

--Robb

And attendance doesn't mean it's a better park. Just look at Disneyland Paris. That gets more attendance than any other European park. IMO, Europa Park and Heide Park both are better parks.

Like was already mentioned, a mine train or a family wooden coaster would be a great coaster to put in that area of the park.

--James

I don't think KD will ever surpass BGW in attendance. KD is definitely not close to being CF's best park, and adding a giga is not going to make it any closer. I honestly believe BGW is in a COMPLETELY different league than KD. but I agree with the family attraction thing. BG should replace this with another 42" ride. I think a family, terrain woodie by GG would be a good idea for that area.