TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I think Chang would be a awesome coaster with sit down cars, or floorless.

I've often wondered how feasible it would be to replace B&M stand-up trains with B&M floorless trains since the floorless trains are a little higher off the track and I would guess they might have a similar CG to the stand-up trains.

It could be more of a cost-benefit things for parks as in why spend $2 million on new trains that you're not going to be able to market that well to the public.

I think that's been one of Busch's biggest problems with getting MF trains on Gwazi - that's what I've heard at least - that they can't seem to justify spending the money on something they don't feel like will benefit them at the gate.

^Well what they could always do is re-theme and re-paint Chang along with adding the new trains.... basically do what sf did with medusa at SFGADV. They painted medusa blue and added some special effects, that made crowds go to SFGADV to ride the new ride to see the differences.

^Chang is taller and has a similar but mildly different layout. I don't think people going to sfkk are thinking: "Hmm, I guess we can just go to cp cause it has a similar ride," because

a) I doubt the gp would know that they're similar

b) I don't think anyone going to their local Kentucky park would instead decide to drive miles away just because the main ride at SFKK is not totally original. Honestly they can just boost the revenue by not switching train types and giving it the old fashioned x-change. Hell they can theme it to its name finally and give it an asian theme.

There have been threads in the past on various sites that came to the conclusion that a coaster like Mantis or Chang could not be converted to floorless or sit down due to where the forces are located.

It was mentioned that B&M design around the "Heart", which is the reason why changes like that couldn't be done. Now personally, I find that iffy, because on a stand-up, everybody is a different height, and the floors sit low to the track and floorless cars are raised higher anyway, so I don't think theres that much of a difference... but I'm no engineer, either.

As much as I would rather see Mantis and Chang Floorless, and if it was possible to do, I really don't think a park is going to invest that much into doing it... (you would literally have to demo most of the station) unless they want to totally spend millions to re-market the ride as we have seen with Six Flags recently, so if it IS possible, I'd be all up for that.

As much as I would rather see Mantis and Chang Floorless, and if it was possible to do, I really don't think a park is going to invest that much into doing it... (you would literally have to demo most of the station) unless they want to totally spend millions to re-market the ride as we have seen with Six Flags recently, so if it IS possible, I'd be all up for that.

I don't think they would have to demolish much of the station. Busch was able to convert Shiekra's station in a mere 3 weeks, I can believe that SFKK can convert Chang's station over a six month period.

The track is so rusty i dont know if it could ever run again.

The whole area is now a dumping ground.

They dump everything back here, there is some benches...

Old signs...although this Thunder Run sign is fairly new. I have no idea why they put it here. They put it up in 2007 I think, If they dont want it. I will gladly take it off there hands!

Mile High Falls.

The lift chain is also missing....not good.

This photo is so sad....Kentucky Kingdom really isn't located in the best area. But this looks just pitiful.

Thats way this area has a height restriction!

Last pic....

After looking at everything, I have no doubt in my mind this area will be bulldozed. Weeds has grown over everything. Mile High looks horrible. All hope is lost for this area.....

NOTE: I did NOT take this photos on Kentucky Kingdoms property, I did not trespass or break any policy.

Nice pics cody. I might be going this week and ill try to get a picture of all the rides and everything. The thunder run sign was surprising. I guess they removed it after they put the new fence up around it, which i think looks stupid.

One thing about chang is, that its not themed. they just have 1 sign, thats the themeing essentially. And they just repainted the ride less then 4 years ago so i doubt anything will happen with chang other new seats. Maybe a mix of sitdown and stand up seats.

After visiting the park and going through the numbing of my body by Chang, the bludgeoning of T2, and the rib-splitting of Roadrunner, I think KK needs a small sit-down steel coaster. (Not a launched coaster like Grease Lightnin', a full circuit coaster) Surprisingly the most fun roller coaster at the park to me is Thunder Run. If they can get a coaster that can thrill riders and not cause bodily harm, it would be a step in the right direction...

I don't think Six Flags can really pull the plug on the park as they only own part of the park, if that. I know that for a while, don't know if it still is, but Chang was leased to the park. Kentucky Kingdom has potential, but it isn't in that good of an area, has had several rides removed lately, and doesn't have a good reputation after the Superman Tower of Power accident. Hopefully the park can add some new rides soon that will attract people who might have visited Holiday World or Kings Island instead. The park could also use some landscaping and paint. T2 looks horrible, and the area around Chang is pretty overgrown. A drop tower(unlikely), Huss flat ride, or even a euro-fighter would be good for the park.

^ I thought Premier Parks owns all of it?.

But i agree with your plans. If they do add one it should be one like liberty launch at Holiday World. And if its possible make a drop tower twin to it and make them about 2 or 3x larger then the one at HW.

One comment i have to say is that the accident wasnt entirely the parks fault it was mainly intamins. I say that becuase they found that it shouldnt have been built with exposed cables, and they wouldnt give them a new maintenance book for the ride either.