TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I was listening to Opie and Anthony this morning and they were all over this story, talking about how horrific it must have been and how random and awful it is (and of course working in some really gruesome jokes). They were kind of joking about safety at amusement parks in general.

(Slight off topic) One funny thing they did bring up was the "gang" line jumpers at SFGAdv. Anyone who has been there knows about the scary line jumpers and it happens at every ride. It was actually so much of a problem last time I went it kind of put us off from going there again.

“When I got up there, the lady, she was just sitting there and she didn’t have no legs,” Smith said. “She didn’t have no legs at all. She was just calm, probably in shock from everything.”

She didn't have no legs at all...

Horrible thing to happen, but what the hell happened to talking in English? I think I might come to Kentucky and give some elecution lessons.

Here's the link to the Louisville news channel 11:

http://www.whas11.com/

After yesterday, Lou, I was gun-shy to try making a new thread

Shari

Interesting, the CoasterBuzz page is obviously still there, but the Syracuse site that Buzz links to shows an error for that page and I can't find it on the main site, so... Seems from Buzz that there was fair detail in the original article that WAS there, wonder why it was pulled.

Assuming that was a real event, scary that two cable snaps on drop rides could occur in 24 hours. Fucked up coincidence.

EDITED TO ADD: ^ Way to SKIM the thread, ED!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=40b_1182507832

Looks like a local news channel broadcast. Sorry no carnage but some shots of the ride and a quick view of a frayed cable. (Love the guy in the orange hat backwards)

Also all of the cars lifts are at the top position of tower. This does look like just a freak accident but it was more then just a stray cable.

It had to of either looped at her feet or something during the drop, because popped cables will not slice you in half unless you got tugged in one; they will how every mess you up.

*Time to write Myth Buster for another cable mystery afoot.

But really Mythbuster’s did have a great segment on cable tension and snaps at very very crazy tensions and they could not slice a pig in half. Not until they looped the pig with the cable and tugged it with a forklift did they succeed.

And no this is not funny but it so reminds me of a time when raptor returned to the station with a woman missing a leg. “Prosthetic shot off on the cobra roll and almost nailed a family on the turnpike cars” Sorry first thing that came to mind when I heard the story.

Intamin strikes again!

Transformers in 11 days…

25 cents says that Six Flags will close all 2nd Generation Intamin free falls for a prolonged period of time.

Possibly, I'm not saying they are, just saying they probably will. (Think Premier LIM coaster shut down last year)

You probably are right about that one. I wonder if other park chains with 2nd generation free falls would do the same. (maybe not as long, but at least a couple days.

I hope for the best for the girl.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=40b_1182507832

*Time to write Myth Buster for another cable mystery afoot.

But really Mythbuster’s did have a great segment on cable tension and snaps at very very crazy tensions and they could not slice a pig in half. Not until they looped the pig with the cable and tugged it with a forklift did they succeed.

quote]

I was thinking the same thing about Mythbusters when i heard this story.

How horrible for the girl, her family and friends, not to mention the witnesses and park employees. My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Wait... I thought Mythbusters proved that you can't get killed by a cable snap? (I know she didn't get killed, but she got her freaking legs cut off!)

They proved you couldn’t get sliced in half, and that the cable snapping unless wrapping around an object would only do major damage but not slice off. If the cable just snapped at high tension and smacked against you it would break your foot, leg, etc.

The Myth they where doing was for the aircraft carriers and the catch cables and could they kill you by cutting you in half. They where also doing those tests at much higher tensions then this ride could ever create.

Transformers in 11 days…

And no this is not funny but it so reminds me of a time when raptor returned to the station with a woman missing a leg.

Same type of incident happened to me on WT.

A gentleman had prothstetic leg come off after the second launch forward and we were e-stopped. I was was in the front seat having know idea what was happening, and while slowly rolling back to the station all I heard was "Oh my god, someone lost a leg!"

Of course my friend sitting next to me started to flip out (1st time rider).

Let me tell you the relief when we saw the it was a prothstetic.

There really are no words that can explain this tragedy. I truly hope that the surgeries that this girl will have to endure will be 100% effective.

I do not think tension was a factor as much as the weight of the cable pulling downward.

I would think this is really a freak accident, not the cable snapping but the results of it. I think it could just as easily caused an injury by striking any of the riders, though not as drastic as this. I think this was probably one of those Murphy's law situations where the cable looped around her feet and the weight of the cable combined with all the motions involved caused a catastrophic injury.

Already in the last 4 months there have been countless tragic incidents such as this involving loss of life or severe injuries.

It's global warming. Call Al Gore someone!

25 cents says that Six Flags will close all 2nd Generation Intamin free falls for a prolonged period of time.

Good thing we are no longer Six Flags! I enjoy our 220 foot drop!

Just my perspective as an engineer:

I doubt that cable tension caused the cable to become a whip and slice off her legs weedwhacker style. Don't forget that the cables are attached to the catch car, and the catch car does not drop with the ride vehicle (it is slowly lowered down afterwards).

Therefore, my guess is that the cable snapped and was hanging loose from the catch car, and due to the motion imparted on it by the snap, became wrapped around the girls legs right before the ride vehicle fell. With the cable being held by the stationary catch car and the girl dropping at 9.8 m/s^2, her legs wouldnt've stood a chance (anyone who has cut a block of clay or cheese with a wire cutter will know what I'm talking about).

And for all those who think her feet can be reattached, don't forget that the feet would've fallen ~150 feet onto pavement, and would've sustained massive damage (dozens of broken bones and extensive tissue damage).

While the situation is obviously terrible and tragic, some of the comments of the park patrons are kind of funny.

[snip]

Kentucky lives up to its reputation.

Don't forget these gems of grammar:

“We seen the cable break loose soon as it got to the top on the right-hand side,” said Chris Williams, who witnessed the event.

Treva Smith said it snapped again as the ride descended.

“The people on the ride just came and hit the ground,” Smith said.

Williams said she saw the teen maimed.

“As the ride came down, the wire swung left, struck the young lady on the back side of my children,” Williams said.

^^ I have to agree.... Why, oh why, out of hundreds of park guests did they have to interview these grammar-challenged people? It reminds me of the classic "I seen the tornado"-types.

Louisville is actually a very classy city and I am quite sure that not every guest there yesterday was a redneck, although you know who are always the first to volunteer to be interviewed!

Man, this is absolutely horrible. Shapiro is going to have to pay out the ying-yang and rightfully so. I don't think just the family of the girl, but the ride-op, people riding with her should probably get some compenstaion also. They are going to be scarred for life.

Well, I guess Beach Bend gets a leg up on the competition. Sorry had to do it.

So why does SFI/Shapiro have to pay out the ying yang? If it is determined a freak accident, meaning all maint and inspections along with scheduled replacement have been done. How can you blame SFI? It could be a defective cable. in that case blame would be put on the manufacturer of the cable.

See what i mean?

It does not have to automatically be SFI's fault.

As everyone else has said already, I hope they are able to reattach her feet. In my opinion, SF should sell this ride to pay for the girl's medical expenses (and probable lawsuits). But nobody would want to buy a ride that cuts off peoples' legs so it will probably end up as scrap. Jeez, first that death on the TOGO in Japan, KidTums nearly gets crushed at SFMM and the very next day a girl loses her feet. 2007 sure is a dark year for the amusement industry.

Incidents like this are why companies have liability insurance. You don't go selling rides to payoff lawsuits.

Wasn't Hellevator the first 2nd Generation Freefall? It could be a prototype, and I suspect bad maintenance as the cause of the cable snappage, or if maintenance was followed to the manufacturer's specifications, it could be a manufacturing defect, or a cheaper wire rope was used and not the manufacturer recommended one (Remember the Schwartzkopf Wildcat accident?) .

I do feel bad for the girl and her family, as well as the people who worked at the ride.

So why does SFI/Shapiro have to pay out the ying yang? If it is determined a freak accident, meaning all maint and inspections along with scheduled replacement have been done. How can you blame SFI? It could be a defective cable. in that case blame would be put on the manufacturer of the cable.

See what i mean?

When a kid stuck his foot outside of BTMR at Disneyland while returning to the station the park was sued. And then, and then, and then.

Just how it works. At the least if this family was to sue they do have some reason for it. But a dumb kid screwing with tigger or the dumb-a## that thought it would be fun to stand up on a wooden coaster, etc. They do not.

Same thing as someone walking past your house and tripping and getting injured on the sidewalk in front of your house. It's your fault. Nice isn't it.

Just for fun, here is the latest CNN Poll:

Do you fear for your safety on amusement-park rides?

Yes :: 60% :: 31546 votes

No :: 40% :: 20903 votes

I will never understand that. Like it's safer to drive to work?

Now if the poll said "Fear for your safety at SFMM" then duh, yes.

See what i mean?

I agree that maybe they shouldn't be responsible, but the way the legal system works today, they will be. She was on a ride owned by them at their park not doing anything wrong and was severely injured. They will have to pay.

I just got a call from Fox News asking if I'd be a live guest on a show today asking to give commentary about the accident. I asked them what kind of commentary they are looking for, and they told me they needed someone who could focus on "parks are just building taller and faster trying to one-up each other and in the process are just making rides more and more dangerous and the public should be worried."

I politely told them that in fact WASN'T my view on this and that this was just a freak accident. "You're in far more danger getting in your car every day."

They didn't like that too much and said that wasn't the angle they were looking for.

Nice that they were specifically looking for someone to bash the parks.

--Robb