TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I think it's more likely that Six Flags would make a settlement out of court in a matter like this. I hope the girl will be ok though. I had heard that it may actually be possible to reattach her feet or use implants. But that must have been horrific.

How did this happen? The cables are above you and nowhere near your feet.

What most of you are not thinking is that if the cable snapped, Part of the cable came down with the car. Think about it. The cable is attached to the ride unit as it is being hoisted up. The cable snapped but it is still attached to the ride unit. The ride unit falls with however big piece of cable still attached to it. Yes the cable is above initially but after the snap at some point during the fall it will fall below the ride unit.

We will definitely know soon what actually happened it will just take a while to be investigated and then there will be a report.

In my opinion, SF should sell this ride to pay for the girl's medical expenses (and probable lawsuits). But nobody would want to buy a ride that cuts off peoples' legs so it will probably end up as scrap.

They probably will end up paying for all of her medical related expenses, but not from selling off the ride. Superman Tower of Power WILL reopen after the investigation is complete and the ride is cleared for reopening.

Perhaps the cable that snapped was not the one pulling that girl's car. Maybe the cable of the car to her right or left was the one that snapped. The girl's car would continue upward to the top of tower, but if the one of neighboring cables snapped that might explain how a cable got tangled.

The girl was moving upward, and the force of gravity mixed with a loose cable might have done it.

Horrible.

This is really bad. Horrible for SF and for all parks across the country. I can see all SF drop towers being closed for further inspection. Also, you can't forget that Intamin will get hit too with lawsuits on this incident. But most importantly, I hope the doctors can do their best and help this poor girl get better and continue to have a normal life.

This is so traumatic. How devastating for that poor girl and all of the park goers!

This will most likely send a shockwave of temporary closures for 2nd gen drop rides, or at least, the ones in the SF chain. It's like the PGA Drop Zone tragedy all over again.

This is so traumatic. How devastating for that poor girl and all of the park goers!

This will most likely send a shockwave of temporary closures for 2nd gen drop rides, or at least, the ones in the SF chain. It's like the PGA Drop Zone tragedy all over again.

Yes, but the death on Drop Zone was caused by the rider who panicked once it reached the top and wiggled his way out of the restraints and not because of a mechanical problem like this one. The girl was not at fault - she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's like the PGA Drop Zone tragedy all over again.

1. Girl has both feet severed from a popped cable, but survives.

2. Boy falls 200-feet to the concrete path below and dies.

I don't know if I could compare both. The Great America incident was a lot worse. I mean, his own mother saw him fall from the top of the tower and splatter on the midway!

This is really scary..But it goes to show you that freak accidents can happen at any time..I hope SF doesnt get hit too hard with this..Its not like they planned it or anything.

I feel bad for amusement parks when things like this happen, because they are just as hopeless as the victims of the accidents are...People just dont realize that amusment parks are not bad places that are purposely trying to hurt anyone...its not like they purposely made the cable snap and sever her legs/ankles.

It's like the PGA Drop Zone tragedy all over again.

1. Girl has both feet severed from a popped cable, but survives.

2. Boy falls 200-feet to the concrete path below and dies.

I don't know if I could compare both. The Great America incident was a lot worse. I mean, his own mother saw him fall from the top of the tower and splatter on the midway!

I know their different. It just brings back bad memories.

On the bright side, Beech Bend will benefit from Kentucky Kingdom's misfortune.

Yeah, because accidents like this always mean certain doom for the park

Well, I mean, KK isn't closing, or anything, but less people are going to want to go there, which means that there may be more people who would rather go to BB.

Right after the Drop Zone tragedy they pretty much surrounded the ride with netting in case someone else fell. Fortunately that never happened, but it appears that they have removed the netting as shown in this picture.

Superman Power of Tower doesn't have this, but at least they have the covered queue which looks like it could be a canvas cover or something.

cnn.com[/url]"](CNN) -- A girl's feet were cut off Thursday when a free-fall thrill ride malfunctioned at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park in Louisville, Kentucky, police said.

• NEW: Witness describes seeing cable go under car and strike riders

• Ride malfunctions and cuts off girl's feet at Six Flags in Louisville, Kentucky

• Girl, 16, was on "Superman Tower of Power," a free-fall thrill ride

^ Uh, that "netting" was used as a thematic prop for the ride's Drop Zone movie theme and was there well before Joshua Smurphat's fatality in 1999. It wasn't put there as a net to catch people if they were to fall.

It also caught sunglasses, loose change, wallets, etc. from the falling riders, so that no one would get impaled by a loose objects. They've probably actually started enforcing the whole "no loose objects" policy on that ride, or something.