TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

So this is technically RMC's first all steel coaster?

technically indeed. I feel, with the way RMC is excelling in the market, it won't be long until they are manufacturing their own giant steel supports. ( RMC giga ) " The future of coasters! ". ( hopefully! )

technically indeed. I feel, with the way RMC is excelling in the market, it won't be long until they are manufacturing their own giant steel supports. ( RMC giga ) " The future of coasters! ". ( hopefully! )

Well Goliath's lift hill structure is a huge steel support structure, so maybe they've already started?

Well Goliath's lift hill structure is a huge steel support structure, so maybe they've already started?

I never understood why Goliath required the last minute change to the truss supported lift hill. I know the reason behind I305 and Skyrush, but with Goliath I don't know, plus the structure being made out of steel makes it even more complex

The Storm Chaser sub-webpage stated that there was a small amount of wood touching the track somewhere... Which, I'll admit, I can't see in any of the photos posted. It's still technically a hybrid, but the line between wood/steel or steel/wood is so blurred at this point. (Not to bring up old arguments, I'm settling on simply calling it a "hybrid.")

The Storm Chaser sub-webpage stated that there was a small amount of wood touching the track somewhere... Which, I'll admit, I can't see in any of the photos posted. It's still technically a hybrid, but the line between wood/steel or steel/wood is so blurred at this point. (Not to bring up old arguments, I'm settling on simply calling it a "hybrid.")

Technically.

Stupid work internet doesn't show the FB pictures. I'll have to wait till I get home.

I totally get this. I check the site at the office - not from home, so I have to just wait until someone actually posts pictures to TPR. It can get frustrating

Wait, I looked a little closer and I think I see the wood in question. It almost looks like it's the two wooden stumps in between the two horizontal bars on each section. I circled them below. (Photos shot by Mark Brunner.)

Storm_Chaser_1-1.jpg.c47b5733732eb47b773429c048f3c128.jpg

Top of the lift hill

Storm_Chaser_1-2.jpg.6d6a70f2e67ea8bb22fc03bc2bf597d3.jpg

Wooden parts circled in red. I believe the track sits on these.

Storm_Chaser_2-2.jpg.6eb6489b6396f54a070f99f3acf09924.jpg

Bottom of the lift hill where track exists.

Storm_Chaser_2-1.jpg.2af1c08334602885f01d246ccbbdd82c.jpg

What looks to be the wood that the track sits on (circled in blue so it could be visible).

I might get to hit the park on its last operating day Sunday, so I'll then get to see it for myself and maybe nab a few progress pics to share.

Wait, I looked a little closer and I think I see the wood in question. It almost looks like it's the two wooden stumps in between the two horizontal bars on each section. I circled them below. (Photos shot by Mark Brunner.)

[attachment=0]Storm_Chaser_1-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Storm_Chaser_1-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Storm_Chaser_2-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3]Storm_Chaser_2-1.jpg[/attachment]

I might get to hit the park on its last operating day Sunday, so I'll then get to see it for myself and maybe nab a few progress pics to share.

I'm almost positive that you are wrong about those track connectors being wood. I'd be willing to guess that they are closer to (if not identical to) the steel "feet" connectors found on the other IBox coasters that attach the steel ledger to the steel track (No wood at all). Here's a close-up image of Twisted Colossus. These feet are hinged to fit the track at the perfect angle. There's no logical way that wood could be used as a sufficient connector at this high stress area. This connector is the primary point that keeps the track on the structure.

ps- I don't think what you circled in the last picture is anything at all, maybe surface from further back?