TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

Has any park ever tried this: normal priced drinks for everybody.

Nope, it's called "being a captive audience" and "no outside drinks allowed in the park".

Has any park ever tried this: normal priced drinks for everybody.

Nope, it's called "being a captive audience" and "no outside drinks allowed in the park".

Or bring a water container and refill it with water for free throughout the day. But yeah, a day at the park probably would be fairly steeper in price for those only looking to visit once a year. Keep in mind, the current 2016 $59.95 price of the season pass pays itself off with just 2 visits. At $106, it takes about 3 visits.

I grew up in Lexington and a highlight of my summer every year was taking a trip to KK with my family and our friends' family. I have really brilliant memories of Chang, Twisted Sisters, those awesome flying shoes and The QUAKE! The Vampire was my first upside down coaster, Thunder Run was my first "big kid" coaster and the Roller Skater was my first coaster ever.

I went to UofL from 2009 to 2013. So the park was closed the whole time I was in school. I lived within walking/biking distance THE ENTIRE TIME I went to college. So glad they are finally back open and very excited to visit next year when I go home at some point!

Are all those little circles on the ground by the flyers the old footers for Road Runner Express?

Those were the posts for the queue rails. (A very large, unshaded queue, too.) You can see it at the bottom left of this picture I took back in 2003.

344645916_ScreenShot2015-08-22at8_53_12AM.thumb.png.be20dfe5f0b37a9e2e6f86bd036bed57.png

SFKK. ©2003 John Peck

Went to the State Fair Friday night for some night rides at the Kingdom. During the Fair Kentucky Kingdom is staying open til 10 or later, depending on the crowd. Cyclos looks great at night, rode it 3x in a row and Lightning Run once. Kentucky Kingdom is offering everyone free drinks during the fair. You can get tickets at Kroger for $9.95 or $19.95 at the fair, a great deal either way as all the rides are open and they have 2 shows at the Sea Lion Splash show.

1461367815_Cyclosatnight.jpg.ea3d1be82daab1e1e66957879cd333c1.jpg

Cyclos all lite up

^^ Awesome! Thank you for the picture and clarification! I wonder if KK has plans to add another family oriented Coaster like Road Runner Express in the future?

Why? You don't like THE ROLLER SKATER???

Okay, okay, it was just a little joke, so you can put the rope away. Seriously, I would be in favor of another family oriented coaster for Kentucky Kingdom, and that spot where the old dragster once stood would be the perfect spot for a mad mouse or spinning coaster or even a spinning mouse coaster. I'm also in favor of them adding the Scrambler in that old area where the Zeppelins used to fly ( who knows - maybe they will after they get Storm Chaser up and running).

STORM CHASER - ARE YOU CHASING IT OR IS IT CHASING YOU?

T3 - WILL YOU BE "RED"-DY TO RIDE IT?

THE ROLLER SKATER - TAKE A RIDE AROUND OUR RINK!

Went by the park today and I will say. The added height to Storm Chaser is making the skyline look epic already!!!!! It actually looks taller than 100 ft

Did you by chance snap any pics?

Nah was in a rush, but I'll get some today or tomorrow.

Maybe Deep Water Dive helped raise the height a little further in its area?

^^ Awesome! Thank you for the picture and clarification! I wonder if KK has plans to add another family oriented Coaster like Road Runner Express in the future?

I'd be all for it, especially considering that they'll now have 3 super-intense steelies. Thunder Run does fulfill that soft-thrill spot perfect for families, but another wouldn't hurt. That, or a new large flat-ride (which I bet is what they're planning).

I thought that Twisted Twins exceeded the current height requirement? It was just grandfathered in, so how are they adding structure to it to make it taller?

I haven't been over to Crittenden to see the construction, but I assume the structure that is being added is above the inverted drop. The height restriction is for the highest point the ride reaches, which in it's original construction would be where the trains travel. Structure could be built up from it's current location to fill that space left by the trains being under the track at that point.

I thought that Twisted Twins exceeded the current height requirement? It was just grandfathered in, so how are they adding structure to it to make it taller?

I haven't been over to Crittenden to see the construction, but I assume the structure that is being added is above the inverted drop. The height restriction is for the highest point the ride reaches, which in it's original construction would be where the trains travel. Structure could be built up from it's current location to fill that space left by the trains being under the track at that point.

No sir..... They definitely added to the lift hill plus keep in mind the airport did make changes to that runway.