TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

This question got buried at the bottom of my last post, so I'm not sure if anybody noticed it, but I was wondering when KK is likely to open for the year next year? I know they've only been reopened a couple of years, so it's not like there's a "norm" to go by really. But if any KK frequenters can shed any light on this, that'd be great!

^^Last year was late May, and this year was late April. I'm assuming it'll be something similar next year as it was this year.

At the end of the post-Lightning Rod announcement weekend, Kentucky Kingdom is still getting a RMC next year. Nothing to be disappointed about.

At the end of the post-Lightning Rod announcement weekend, Kentucky Kingdom is still getting a RMC next year. Nothing to be disappointed about.

Especially when they also have a kick ass coaster in Lightning Run. By this time next year Kentucky Kingdom will have one of the best one-two punches in the whole country.

Especially when they also have a kick A$$ coaster in Lightning Run. By this time next year Kentucky Kingdom will have one of the best one-two punches in the whole country.

I know I'll probably be accosted for this, and I know Thunder Run doesn't have much to it but it's a pretty fun coaster too so in my opinion KK will have 4 awesome coasters.

^Actually, I did enjoy Thunder Run. It's what I wish the Hurler coasters were. ...Fun, not too rough, with actual pops of air. Heck, I even rode in the last car, though it was the front of the car. You would never catch me doing that on either Hurler.

I visited the park this past Tuesday, their last weekday until the State Fair starts on the 20th. It had decent but light crowds, with almost every ride being a walk-on or in-station wait (minus Cyclos). I arrived sort of late in the day (3pm) and still got to lap Cyclos and each major coaster once, except for T3 which I got 6 non-consecutive laps on including being on the last train of the day! The line got especially short within the last hour the park was open, which was a surprise to me. I also squeezed two rides on Deep Water Dive and one on SkyCatcher in between lapping T3, and on my way out I got the last cycle on FearFall right as the park was closing! It was a pretty good afternoon.

Some bits of red Storm Chaser track was definitely sitting on the Top Elminator Dragster strip, and virtually every bit of Twisted Twins track seemed to have been removed from the track finally. I have some photos of the progress on the coaster posted to my Flickr account, and will have photos from Tuesday as well once I get home.

I went to the park for the first time last week and I was really impressed. I didn't get to the park until 12 pm and it rained most of the day. Unfortuantely it closed early around 4 pm, however, I still got to ride everything I wanted to.

-The park was well maintained and decently clean. Everything seemed updated and upkept.

-Lightning Run was crazy fun. Constant ejector air, and that last bunny hop still has the strongest airtime of any coaster I've ever felt.

-Thunder Run was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. The back was quite intense.

-T3 is just as jerky as other SLC's, but no headbanging. However, it wouldn't be an SLC without pain. Now you get thigh crush to the max!

-The employees were all really friendly. They were giving out rainchecks as well but I didn't get one since I wouldn't be returning anytime soon.

-The food at the BBQ place was quite good for amusement park food and they seemed to have plenty of other options around the park.

If any of you ever wished for a night ride at Kentucky Kingdom, tomorrow through the 30th is your chance. Kentucky Kingdom will be open until 10pm throughout the entire time the State Fair is running. This is the latest the park will be open ever since the Six Flags era. I sure can't wait to see how this'll be.

If any of you ever wished for a night ride at Kentucky Kingdom, tomorrow through the 30th is your chance. Kentucky Kingdom will be open until 10pm throughout the entire time the State Fair is running. This is the latest the park will be open ever since the Six Flags era. I sure can't wait to see how this'll be.

man that's gonna be Sweet......

I had a pass to both this year, but next year I'm just getting Kentucky Kingdom. It's 10 miles, verses 65 miles, from my house and now offers free soft drinks. $59.95 is a great deal verses $139.00 for practically the same thing now. Kentucky Kingdoms Water Park is about as good as Holiday Worlds now, plus they have more thrilling rides like Cyclos, Skycatcher and the 2016 addition Storm Chaser. I'll most likely still visit Holiday World during their Halloween event, but I won't be getting a Season Pass. $59.95 compared to $139.00 is a win, win situation.

I'd be surprised if eventually free drinks are built into the general admission ticket prices as well. I know labor isn't that much, but if you figure on 3-4 drink stations being staffed all day during the season, it adds up to a decent sum of money. Using it to drive season pass sales now is probably the right play initially, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them take the Holiday World approach within 1-2 years.

So I finally made it to KK a couple weeks ago during a week long trip to 5 different parks, and IMO it was definitely one of the highlights. Especially with staying right in downtown Louisville, which was a fantastic time. I've actually never been through Kentucky before, so everything about my time there was very enjoyable. I also loved the park quite a bit. I've been excited to go there ever since they reopened it and I was definitely not let down. Esp with LR, which easily slipped into my top 10. Wow. And as far as Deep Water Dive goes, holy crap. Not many rides have even come close to such a rush. However, with only having about 7 hours in the park, my priorities were to use my time to experience everything I could. But obviously, I snapped a few photos...

image.thumb.jpg.ec58daffe6c8d1689e76ceb7d2257f23.jpg

Heading in!

image.thumb.jpg.edc4bf19064e1cba3e99c8d5e9f4a932.jpg

Love the colors.

image.thumb.jpg.a31ebd73f84da5c513ba86a5ee06d2a1.jpg

Across the bridge...

image.thumb.jpg.943a0c5c89f1424d9e8e160c3f60c5b9.jpg

Let's do this.

image.thumb.jpg.cae9a47256a585671c60706a2b31d4f3.jpg

Really enjoyed Thunder Run. Pretty smooth and fast.

image.thumb.jpg.eb79e9886e52d21c2a0d4d903a54b004.jpg

LR has such a powerful layout in a tiny footprint.

image.thumb.jpg.3d97c5ef96fb1f0473601f5ad34dbb5c.jpg

Super twisty airtime goodness.

image.thumb.jpg.8139ee6ab6bf995fb3d0dfa8ddb603ed.jpg

Right inside the entrance.

image.thumb.jpg.ea03823777155ab120784ec8f424cfcf.jpg

Am I the only one that enjoyed this tower more than most Intamin ones?

image.thumb.jpg.8664f96a27b4fdb90982c3acb14e046e.jpg

Lightning Run completely blew away all expectations. World class.

image.thumb.jpg.7540df4cd752a66c8f754161270424ac.jpg

Thank god for lapbars...

image.thumb.jpg.47c2023211ebb3f9e7e565d8fc14b7db.jpg

A classic.

image.thumb.jpg.2eafb1d97f87173dd8a67aaa593ba7c4.jpg

Interesting...

image.thumb.jpg.d0e66b73ed35f46b70cba0f3ba67771b.jpg

Really enjoyed the sea lion show.

image.thumb.jpg.a048ce2d60e61f9c6dd1eba9021a6d95.jpg

Just like SFStL, they have such a beautifully photogenic wheel.

image.thumb.jpg.d224d8e45d0cf2c7bdd9c3122a986768.jpg

Didn't get a chance to ride this, but looks pretty wild.

image.thumb.jpg.7d429a87b6e82368f37ec920526a8372.jpg

Love me some flyers!

image.thumb.jpg.f2ecfc2a04d30898021c99c04411be24.jpg

Cute and cuddly little creatures.

image.thumb.jpg.5f8652c66724ac8645f6bff341c16057.jpg

Great views from the bridge.

image.thumb.jpg.96efbf11854012f6cebbd7813b1640b9.jpg

KING LOUIE!

image.thumb.jpg.019742e88c8776497e1ecc929830f7a6.jpg

More from Mr Ferris..

image.thumb.jpg.0ad264584c561937c1f7755db22b74e4.jpg

And more...

image.thumb.jpg.c56666243361f98c935a5eb5d739d350.jpg

And more.

image.thumb.jpg.99acf96caf4c3f2522ada1716f3a30ec.jpg

Pretty solid waterpark.

^They might have been part of the queue rails before the coaster.

Kentucky Kingdom announced Soft Drinks will be free for season pass holder's in 2016!!!

Excellent! I'm assuming by this that the park is making enough money to be able to do things like this, or they're just taking chances in trying to make a good impression. I had zero complaints about $1 drinks, but I'd be even happier to now receive them free!