TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I still do not see this ride fitting in the SWF/Great America Raceway area. This is even if they remove Dare Devil Dive to the front of the park. Plus you have to worry about the train track.

The same goes for the Iron Wolf area. This would require the removal of Camp Cartoon as well and maybe the train station.

Now I could see this going where Whizzer is or the Space Shuttle America/go karts area. Whichever of the two area's does not get Chang would get a waterpark expansion.

This is my pass from 1999. 10 years ago. I was 4 years old then. Because you were allowed to go in for free when your 2 or younger, i didn't get a pass then. Probably when I was 3, i went in for free still thinking SFGAM thought i was under 2. But yes, i took our the bar code and my name for safety reasons.

What do you think?

If we ge Chang and lose Whizzer wouldn't they have to take out other stuff too? I don't see how it would fit. Anyway if we get that Iron Wolf will go and then they'll have room for a compact coaster or flat ride. It's not worth losing two coasters for Chang. Would there be enough room for Whizzer if Iron Wolf leaves?

That is rediculous to move chang to SFGRAM when it has NO marketing value whatsoever since the park already has a standup coaster,that from what I've read isn't very popular to begin with.

I guess SFI is getting desperate thanks to the bankruptcy if they need to start pulling a GL & ripping out rides from parks they've purposely chosen to neglect for years on end just to spoil their other parks rotten....and speaking of the bankruptcy proceedings IIRC SFI isn't allowed to redistribute it's assets until the matter is settled in court so this rumor may prove false after all.

^ Best comeback ever! I LOL'd for a while.

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:

That is rediculous to move chang to SFGRAM when it has NO marketing value whatsoever since the park already has a standup coaster,that from what I've read isn't very popular to begin with.

You couldn't explain it any better. SFGAM has an un-popular stand up coaster. SFKK has a good stand up but the park is failing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to do.

When you think about it...Great America doesn't really have that many Uber-Good coasters. I mean there is Raging Bull...and V2. You guys do have crazy flats. Most of them came from Gadv. To the point, Great America really needs something like El Toro or Ka. However if you were to get an accelerator I'd hope it be on a smaller more inversion scale. IF you guys do get Chang I hope Six Flags converts it too a Floorless because Stand-Ups are played out. That way you can keep Iron Wolf and Chang!

Well I was mainly talking about Revolution. Which used to be at Gadv. King Chaos looks nice though too but that didn't come from here.

St. Louis has our Evolution ride.

When you think about it...Great America doesn't really have that many Uber-Good coasters.

The problem with SF Great America's coasters(if you can call it a problem) is they were innovative when they were built. Think of this

Batman: The Ride - 1st Inverted ride to go upside down

Raging Bull - 1st Hyper Twister

V2 - 2nd twisted Impulse ride in the US

Superman - 3rd flying coaster in the world, 2nd in US

American Eagle - 2nd Intamin coaster, first for adults (also the tallest when it opened)

The other problem is most of the other rides are clones or built close to an existing ride. Within the enthusiast circles it hurts the park simple because the park has a lot of rides that are the same as others or have been done better since they opened.

None of this really matters to the general public anyways. They love the rides and have every reason to. Outside of Iron Wolf, the coasters are low on the pain scale. Plus they are the only big coasters for hours, so people take what they can get.

It still is a nice park. Could some improvements be made? Yes, but the same can be said of every park. Are there many worse parks then SF Great America? You bet and I'm glad to have this park over them.

I stop watching the fourms and screamscape for a couple days and this is what i come back to. When i first heard the initial screamscape theory i scoffed at it and to many parts i still do. I would, however, not be shocked at all if they did end up retiring the Wizzer. Brings a tear. I have ridden that one everytime I have been to the park since I was tall enough to get on.

Living in Green Bay as a coaster enthusiast is a kinda tough. SFGam is the only park within a 3 hour radius with major coasters and I for one am getting bored with them. This year I have chosen not to go back there this year for more of the same. There has not been a new major draw in many years. When i went down there last year, usually by myself i took the time to listen and people watch and kinda get a feel for what people were looking for. MOST people that I could here were wondering when the next "BIG" coaster was going to be. Even the GP was realizing that the last high cap big ride installed was superman. I think people are also noticing the holes and the fact that the park has failed in some of the things that they have installed, ie Deja vu. I think this might be exactly what SF is thinking.

The Wizzer has been on the chopping block before but was decided against when allegedly shockwave was discovered to have some major rehabing needed at due to cracks at the top of the first loop's track. I could very well seeing this same type of maintainence issue being the case with the Wizzer. It is one of the first coasters in the park. It is now the only one of its kind with the spiral lift, meaning every time there is a breakdown they have to have parts customly machined to replace them unlike ordering the parts from the manufactures. This is extremely expensive. It would be a double investment. Would fit the needs of "getting something new" as well as cut on upkeep. I think the worst part of the this scenario is that in order to install something on this foot print there are going to be a lot of trees cut off and that is something i always appreciated about the wizzer. Everything was well grown around it and really added atmosphere to the ride, unlike the clear cut sterile feeling of the entire footprint of superman.

I also have a speculation for the future of Wolf. There has been some chatter of them planning to give it a coat of paint and add new trains. What if they plan to retrofit the existing coaster as a sit-down or better yet a floorless? Makes some sense. The coaster itself is rough because of the nature of your body position in the standing position. The coaster has fast back and forth transitions especially in the back half after the break run. Moving a person's center of gravity from a standing to a sitting position just may address the coasters head banging quality. Just some thoughts.

Final thoughts part 2. Packers kicked the bears butt! well sorta

IF you guys do get Chang I hope Six Flags converts it too a Floorless because Stand-Ups are played out.

Is that even possible to convert it like that? I mean, I have heard of lots of conversions like inches to centimeters, money for beer, even steel phantom to phantoms revenge, but never have I heard of that kind of conversion.

If Chang went to SFGAm too, something would have to go back to SFKK because it is a ride exchange not a ride take. This is interesting though for sure, and I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. Do we have any confirmation that it is true?

^ i don't think they would actually convert Chang if SFGam would get it. My Reference to a conversion was to retrofit the existing Iron Wolf. I guess my question would be not to ask if they would convert it but why not. For one it is B&M track and right now it is using Intamin trains. Why would it not be possible to change the type of coaster when most b&m use the same gauge of track.

As far as the chang replacement, according to the screamscape rumour they plan to expand the water park.

If Chang went to SFGAm too, something would have to go back to SFKK because it is a ride exchange not a ride take. This is interesting though for sure, and I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. Do we have any confirmation that it is true?

Actually, nothing has to go back to KK. I mean look at the last ride exchange...Gadv gave Rodeo Stampede to SFOT and got nothing back..Condor and Pendulum to Great America and got nothing back...Ultra Twister to SF Astro World and got nothing back..and Xcalibur to St. Louis and got nothing back. We had to give a lot of things and still have the footprints to this day of where some of those rides were.

In 2010 we gave Chiller to SFMM and got Riddler's Revenge back!

I emailed Six Flags a while back about why Iron Wolf was so rough and this was their response.

When Iron Wolf opened at Six Flags Great America in April 1990, it was B&M's first coaster. Accordingly, they had not yet designed or produced their own trains for the ride. We have been using Intamin trains for Iron Wolf since it opened, and it would be costly and ultimately unnecessary to replace the trains with B&M's equivalents.

I think this was a couple years ago, so they might have changed their mind since then will all of the ride makeovers they've been doing. The only problem I can think of changing Iron Wolf from a stand up to a floorless or sit down would just be that the ride is already designed so that your body and your heart are in a certain place and changing it to a floorless would change that but it could work.