TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Again...MM has a higher per-cap revenue (highest gate admission in the chain, higest prices in park, etc), along with a much longer operating season(virtually all year), and with it being rented out for parties which guarentees a certain amount of revenue in the non-peak season while GrAm is three-feet-deep in snow, Magic Mountain brings in the most cash for the chain despite the fact that Great America and Great Adventure beat it in attendance.

^Per capita is one thing, but overall income is another. If the other parks bring in more visitors in their shorter operating season, wouldn't that make them the revenue flagships? Even though SFMM is open all year, with ALL of their non-busy days, and there are a lot of them, I'm sure operating costs are considered into this figure.

I have absolutely no idea which parks makes the most income, I just thought I would throw in some mundane business nonsense.

Chris.

Bringing in money means nothing if you have an awful profit margin. So bringing in the cash does not mean much when you to hire more employees, more major rides to fix/refurb and get a new coaster every or two. So SF Great America is the most profitable park.

And for where we know this from

Shapiro pointed to a new water ride, longer season, a cyber coffee cafe and additional concerts among the additions at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, the most profitable in the 20-park portfolio.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=296367

Just curious, why does everyone think that the only way a new coaster can be built at SFGAm is if Whizzer is removed? Like as been pointed out several times here, it's hugely popular, has excellent capacity, and everyone loves it. There is a lot of space at the park for major rides. Besides, the park does not need another coaster; stop confusing want with need ... I'd love a Mr Freeze, and a Superman (New England), and an Evil Knievel, and a Kentucky Rumbler, and a Nemesis, and about a zillion other things, none of which are needed

The fact is that SFGAm draws from two *massive* population centers, and there is absolutely no competition. What the park needs is more stuff for people to do (and adding 1 ride is not the answer). If you ran the park and could spend $25 million on a single coaster or $25 million to expand the water-park by 50%, what would you do? The water-park is a far, far better investment; as would be a collection of flat-rides. Even adding a Thomas Town would likely yield better results, the Wiggles area was packed on Sunday, while Raging Bull was a walk-on.

Cameron.

@Monsterfan and WFChris...

You both make solid points, but in the snese that Great America (for example) has a shorter operating season, it could very well have a higher proportion of profit in corrolation to it's shorter season, verses generating more cash and having higher opertaing costs. GrAm can very well indeed be the most profitable park, yet not bring in the most moeny. This of course is speculatory, however as I previously stated is an educated guess based on actual statistics. How else can you justify corporate spending the most in capital improvements on a park that doesn't make the most money?

How else can you justify corporate spending the most in capital improvements on a park that doesn't make the most money?

Simple: The park isn't making as much money as it should, and needs a new ride to boost attendance, or needs more to compete with other parks. That's how you could justify it. It's just like Kings Dominion getting a Giga Coaster, while Cedar Point is getting a water ride doesn't mean KD is Cedar Fair's most profitable park.

You have to spend money to make money.

Sorry, but SFGAm has SFMM beat in profits. It's been that way for years, and has been reported as such.

Like I said, I'd much rather see alot of the Marriott theming get a nice new refresh, and HH get an addition. A ton of the buildings are showing way too much peeling and faded paint. Paint is a cheap, and cost effective way to make an improvement.

How else can you justify corporate spending the most in capital improvements on a park that doesn't make the most money?

Easy

1) They have a bunch of parks to compete with. Within 150 miles you have Disney, Legoland, Knotts, Sea World and Universal. Thus the park has to convince people to go to their park over the other major theme parks.

2) The park is still trying to recover from the bad press over the years. This includes gangs, the park closing rumor and other not PR friendly items. Things of this nature stick in people's heads for years if not decades.

3)They are trying to compete with a park on the other side of the country for who has the most roller coasters. This one is due to a stupid PR/marketing department and the male ego.

SF Great America is a park next to the 3rd largest city. The only other parks within 4 hours(driving the speed limit) of the city are Kiddieland (which closes a week from Sunday) and Indiana Beach (which is in the middle of nowhere) and some family fun centers. The park really does have a license to print money if done right.

I mean. We don't have any constantly breaking down rides. SFGADV has to deal with Kingda Ka and they probably spend more money operating their rides then we do.

But I think SFGAM should be run like a monopoly, even though it isn't in a way it is. They add what ever they want even though they know people will still come, but it seems they care a tiny bit. But I think we are being shunned in a way...even though SFKK and SFA are here....we are being shunned in a way!

Question: What is Season Passholder Appreciation Night?

The park is only open this Friday for Six Flags (all Six Flags parks) season passholders and their guest that use the coupon book coupon to get in. Outside of that, the only other thing is the discounts. They are having $7 photos(on-ride and in the park) and 30% everything in the stores. I think there is one more for food, but I can not remember it right now.

Easy

1) They have a bunch of parks to compete with. Within 150 miles you have Disney, Legoland, Knotts, Sea World and Universal. Thus the park has to convince people to go to their park over the other major theme parks.

2) The park is still trying to recover from the bad press over the years. This includes gangs, the park closing rumor and other not PR friendly items. Things of this nature stick in people's heads for years if not decades.

3)They are trying to compete with a park on the other side of the country for who has the most roller coasters. This one is due to a stupid PR/marketing department and the male ego.

1.) None of these parks consider each other competition. California residents for the most part know what each park has to offer and will go to which ever suites their taste. A lot of Tourist come from around the world usually with the knowledge of only Disneyland. I work at Knott's Berry Farm and we get a lot of tourist that found out about our park while at Disneyland or Magic Mountain the day before. All these parks increase their success by being so close to each other.

2.) Gangs... Closing... Even the GP don't talk about any of that anymore!

3.) I don't see anything wrong with that

If we ge Chang and lose Whizzer wouldn't they have to take out other stuff too? I don't see how it would fit. Anyway if we get that Iron Wolf will go and then they'll have room for a compact coaster or flat ride. It's not worth losing two coasters for Chang. Would there be enough room for Whizzer if Iron Wolf leaves?

Im not even sure removing Raging Bull is enough room. That coaster takes up a lot of room. They are better off sending it to Six Flags America. They need it more then we do. Honestly, if we do lose Whizzer, we had it longer then BBW was at BGE, so we should be grateful. Although I wouldn't mind buying it and building it in my yard.

I'm going to the Season Pass holders night tomorrow and I'd like to know if it's generally crowded???

Also, I haven't been on Superman yet because I'm prone to motion sickness (love coasters, hate spinny rides) and someone told me the positioning might get me sick (going face first on corkscrews, that kind of thing). Any thoughts? Is is more thrilling than Raging Bull?