TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

discount tickets:

^ Coke cans. Or join Club TPR.

Hi, i don't live in an area where we get those coke cans, in fact i live in canada. ( crack smoking mayor yes, but no 6 flags coke cans) Is there some code on the bottom of a coke can you type in? if so can somebody let me know what it is or email it to me?

^Actually I don't think anyone is calling this ride slow. If anything, some might be saying it ran slow in the video but acknowledge that it will get faster. I don't think anyone is complaining.

Exactly, very ironic when people complain about complaining

discount tickets:

^ Coke cans. Or join Club TPR.

Hi, i don't live in an area where we get those coke cans, in fact i live in canada. ( crack smoking mayor yes, but no 6 flags coke cans) Is there some code on the bottom of a coke can you type in? if so can somebody let me know what it is or email it to me?

Just buy a coke can at a grocery store near the park, like Jewel Osco on Grand Avenue in Gurnee, or a 12 pack. There should be a 20$ish dollars off discount on each can if I'm not mistaken but I'm not sure of the dollar amount this year so somebody else may be able to clarify. The big cans, not the little mini ones. If somebody can help him out right now that would be cool! Compare the discount from that + the price of the cans/case to the discount offered by purchasing on six flags' website ahead of time. Don't make the mistake of trying to buy the ticket on your iphone. Their website requires flash so you need a laptop or desktop. Again, not the end of the world, find a Starbucks with Wifi and bring a laptop and buy there the night before or morning of.

I spent some time at the park today. As of mid-afternoon they hadn't done any test runs. I've heard varying things about testing. Two different employees told me that it has to undergo 100 hours of testing. I have no idea if that's accurate or not. One of those told me the target was to have the ride open by June 11. Take that for what it's worth. As we all know, employees don't always have the right information.

They were doing quite of bit of work on the transfer track today. Lots of grinding noises. I did see them lower and raise the train a couple times on the transfer platform. They were also working toward the bottom of the lift hill.

What is the impact to Goliath's opening to the crowd at the rest of the park that first week. The first weekend it is open I imagine will see a spike in visitors. How about the middle of the week. If you plan on steering clear of Goliath, will the other rides have a longer wait than a normal mid-week in June?

Am I the only one that thinks people are going to be disappointed? Gosh I hope I'm wrong but I think most people's hype is based off the big drop and zero G. Doesn't seem to be much substance other than that.

Sorry, I am being a negative nellie!

Personally I disagree. I don't particularly understand why people are so caught up on the length of the ride. El Toro has five really killer elements: first drop, two big airtime hills, rolling thunder drop, and the finale figure 8. This ride in all likelihood has six: first drop, overbank, airtime hill, dive loop, zero g stall, twist and shout. Since it's RMC each of those are likely to pack a punch, but if any one of them doesn't deliver, it still has as many good moments as Toro, minus the forceless over-engineered turnaround. Why is this not enough "substance" to make for a complete, mind-blowingly amazing new ride?

I dunno, you just can't tally elements and compare coasters on that basis. Pacing and flow sometimes is as important as individual elements. And the nature (and pleasure) of the elements are not equal to all riders. For instance, I am an airtime guy, and put that above most other elements. Going upside is not terribly interesting to me (although I love the B&M heartline rolls). I am REALLY looking forward to Goliath, but I will be shocked if I enjoy it as much as El Toro, which is an almost --but not quite -- perfect ride (for my tastes).

Some of these elements were designed to be taken at a slow pace. There's a reason one them is called a zero-G stall. I believe Alan Schilke said that they were trying to keep some of these elements tall so they could keep the forces low. Keeping the forces low usually means that the elements have to be long and drawn out or taken at slower speeds. The ride should get faster as the chassis gets broken in and once they go to the harder polyurethane wheels, but I wouldn't exactly expect it to fly through the upside down moments, which is good if you're the type of person who loves hang time on upside down elements.

In regards to videos being posted about the Goliath initial test run, I think it's only fair to promote and display the video that was contributed to TPR by one of our readers. If other people who have also taken video of the first test runswould like them to be posted to our YouTube channel, please contact me privately and maybe we can work something out. But in the mean time, I'm very grateful to theredskull84 who shot this video and allowed us to use it. Any links to other videos will be deleted unless they are contributed to TPR. Thanks for your understanding.

Hopefully it opens in the next week or so. I need some Goliath in my life to help me get over the case of the Blackhawks blues.

Hah! I don't want to hear anything about blues... seeing as your Blackhawks turned MY Blues into the biggest disappointing finish in the NHL this season. You guys had a good run, but being a rival, I'm glad it's over!

Hopefully it opens in the next week or so. I need some Goliath in my life to help me get over the case of the Blackhawks blues.

Hah! I don't want to hear anything about blues... seeing as your Blackhawks turned MY Blues into the biggest disappointing finish in the NHL this season. You guys had a good run, but being a rival, I'm glad it's over!

Our Blues lost and all we got was a lousy Tsunami Soaker...

This might he crazy, but I wonder if there was some sort of bonus or penalty relating to starting testing by the end of May. It just seems strange that they didn't start until the last few hours of the month and they haven't done it again since.

^I doubt it. If they weren't ready to test, then they should not test. Still can't explain why they are still working on construction. Maybe the "object" that fell off needed to be repaired? - that still doesn't explain the four cranes, though.

I knew it! You look at that thing and you wonder how on earth a train will clear the zero g stall support structure or the exit of the dive loop! I am surprised that they had a problem up there though. There ought to be a CAD program for coasters that has clearance tests built in, turning anything within the zone red. Maybe it already exists; just crazy to me that they would just no be running into this problem!

That overbank is quite symmetrical, so maybe they will need to do a similar fix on the ascending side as well. Looking at that photo, heck, ALL of those steel supports might have to get that treatment at a rate of 1 or two a day. For the sake of getting the ride open, I hope that is a permanent solution... But, look at it... its begging for some TLC. And it doesn't look reliable. There were cranes around the dive loop too. Could be a similar situation on that end.