TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cliff Jumping!

Hey everyone!

I'm curious if anyone here loves cliff jumping.

Ever since last summer, I can't seem to get enough of it. Last year, my family and I took a trip to Maui and Kauai, where I did my first "real" cliff jumps. (Black Rock, Waioka, Kipu Falls, Twin Falls, etc.) I absolutely love the feeling of pure free fall, so cliff jumping is a perfect activity for me. While there are certain risks involved, if you take the proper precautions there is really nothing to worry about.

The most recent place I went jumping was Fish Canyon Falls in Azusa, CA. It's a fun little place, with some decent sized jumps. Nothing too big, but nothing too small either. The smallest jump is about 20 feet and the largest is almost 30. The highest jump I've ever done is off the top of Twin Falls in Maui. That one was 35 feet. I can't wait for this coming summer, when I'll be able to experience some higher ones!

If anyone has opinions, stories, or photos, please share them! I hope many of you like cliff jumping too!

----Antonio

950471707_FishCanyonJump.thumb.jpg.2d1128d79d93f2a57593487eaf5bf368.jpg

If you haven't gone cliff jumping, YOU MUST!

1041087891_CliffJump2.thumb.jpg.8446e3e99aaf55afb924e8631608cf1a.jpg

Awesome.

46558359_CliffJump1.thumb.jpg.20c2f8d0e6cc8da8b1d9465a401b0f0e.jpg

This was a very fun jump.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love cliff jumping! Such an amazing (and terrifying) sensation...

The largest I've jumped off from was 30ft at a little cove (Tooles Creek) at Rough River State Park.

I went down to the river yesterday. It was my first time in a while so I took it pretty steady. Plus, the water was freezing! I found a new jump. Possibly my favourite so far. I might take some pictures next time I'm there.

- Jordan

I must say I LOVE cliff jumping! The highest cliff I have jumped off of was about 30 ft, and it was in Arkansas! It is the most sensational experience! It is a true free fall! Its an experience you can not get on a ride where there is a restraint holding you in! I also love bridge jumping! The highest bridge I have jumped off of was actually an interstate bridge in West Virginia, and it was about a 60 ft drop to the water... It hurt like a mother when I hit the water, but it was a blast!

~Matthew

Cliff jumping pwns. The first (and currently the only) cliff I went off of was measured at about 43ft. High, and you get some speed going down that

Only problem is that you gotta not let your feet flat when you hit the water. Ouuuch...

I've never cliff jumped, looks far too unpredictable. However I have done it off a REALLY tall diving board. Also, at the reservoir I sail at quite a few of the guys jump off this pier which can literally be 30 feet away from the water when the water is low. I don't really like this sort of thing since I have bad vertigo, but in a really weird way I like coasters and such. Oh well!

I've jumped off one before. I think it was about 30 feet. It's so awesome! I ended up doing a front flip off of it, and I've never done a front flip from somewhere high up before.. But I flipped a little too far, and ended up on my stomach...That was my last jump of the day haha.. Bruised my neck!

Wow! I am so happy with all these responses! Keep sharing your stories!

Matthew, a 60 footer?! That must have been crazy! I can't wait to try some new ones in the coming months. I know I'll be doing my tallest ones ever this summer.

I hope someone has some pictures they can put up sometime.

----Antonio

• 6 months later...

I do love cliff jumping. Best place I have found is Lake Powell in Utah. It has Grand Canyon style cliffs, and water goes down forever. It's perfect. Now for something completely off topic, tell Giovani his chocolate covered oreos were perfect!

I did it a couple of years ago in a gorge somewhere near Montpelier, France. It was about 30 foot high and I loved it

It's quite popular here too as Piers and I live on the coast and is known locally as tombstoning. I've not given it a shot here but it's not something I'd rule out for next summer

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much opportunity, but I've jumped off of small cliffs while on white-water rafting trips. I think the highest I've done so far is about 20 feet. I've also jumped off a pier at a beach in Nassau, but that one wasn't my smartest decision. It was about a fifteen foot drop into about three feet of water. I ended up cutting up my feet on the rocks from that jump, so I was lucky not to injure myself any worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be afraid of the high dive. So no, I haven't really cracked into the world of cliff diving, not to say I never will. I just never liked the hitting the water part. I'm also a nose plugger, which would be a no go if I were to do a higher jump.

The coolest place I've seen it done, however, was at the southernmost tip of Hawai'i (Southernmost point of the US, as well), And that was maybe 60 feet into some nice blue water. There was an Indiana Jones-esque ladder hooked to the cliff to get back up.

Seen it several times on TV and been through 200ft drops (on coasters) myself. Looks like fun by I think my fear of heights would get in the way. Not to mention I've only done the high diving board once and never will again. It's just something about heights on a coaster that I don't mind.

That means I'll pass on the cliff diving.

I used to cliff dive when I was a kid and teenager during family trips to Lake Mead, just east of Las Vegas, Nevada. While I haven't done it in in at least 15 years, I would not hesitate to do it again. I remember there being a long cliff at an angle, meaning that, from the same cliff, you could choose to take a small 5-foot jump or a 30-footer. I remember going to the big one for the first time, and everyone slowly trying to gather their courage for the big jump. Of course, just like a roller coaster, once you did it, you couldn't get enough. Cliff jumping rules!!!

-Doug