TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Expoland to close for good.

Expoland to close 21 months after fatal roller coaster disaster+

(Japan Economic Newswire Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) OSAKA, Feb. 10_(Kyodo) _ The Expoland amusement park in Osaka Prefecture said Tuesday it will end its 37-year history in large debts due to a decline in the number of visitors following a fatal roller coaster accident in May 2007...

Source.

Not really surprised by this news, I just hope that they find a new home for the B&M and the Togo Wildstorm, since they were both ace.

I'm also happy that I was able to get the credits there when I visited the place during the 2007 TPR trip.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

especially since it looked to have a pretty decent coaster line-up.

It really didn't. It had a decent B&M invert and that's all it had going for it. The rest of the coasters were either just pointless, painful, or stupid.

Let's see...

Daidarasaurus - Pointless AND stupid.

Family Coaster - Pointless

Fujin Raijin II - Painful and deadly

Mini Coaster - Stupid

Orochi - Raptor Clone

Space Salamander - Stupid

Wild Mouse - Pointless.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up!

--Robb

With a downturn in the economy, opportunities are created. I know it sucks that HRP closed, but it did create opportunities for another company. The same applies to Expoland, it will allow other companies to buy assets at affordable values, though Im sure some additional money will be needed to refurb the rides. But imagine the suit the resulted because of the derailment. I mean, some girl sued for millions of dollars because her McDonalds coffee was too hot. I can't imagine the suit because of the death of a person due to the neglect of the ride.

Glad we got to visit here Peter. Orochi had no midcourse brakes on during our rides, so it was definitely more forceful in the second half than Raptor, and I liked it better too! Yes, the Togo Wildstorm flat ride should be saved as well as the WACKY reversing inside/outside log flume with the curved final drop. That flume is awesome! Still wondering too about that Intamin looking giant airplane ride which we never saw operating.

Always sad to see a park close but this wasn't a park I would want to revisit. I really liked Orochi, easily the best ride in the park. On the other end of the scale was Fujin Raijin II. That was one of the few coasters that I would never ride twice. It was the most brutal coaster I have been on.

The rest of the coasters were just meh. I have a hard time even remembering what they were. The only one that stands out besides the two I mentioned was the kiddie coaster. That was because it was embarrassing watching the poor Japanese girl trying to get the lap bar closed on an Acer while all these little kids waited in line looking on.

• 2 months later...

If Orochi would go to a park in Europe, that would be really great because Europe is still SLC country and that has to change quick.

But i don't think it would fit in Walygater park. But there are not many other parks to choose from, that don't have an inverted coaster yet.

Blue Fire in Europa park is a great succes, so why not buy a second looping coaster??

PortAventura would be great too or Toverland.

There are allready many rumors about Toverland buying a B&M in the future

I brought it!

And disneylander, Doesnt SFA have an inverted?

Yep it does but it is an SLC! One of the most painful ones too!

As for Orochi I would like to see it go to a smallish park, any small park really because it could put it on the map!

• 7 months later...

I can now pretty much confirm they're breaking down the entire park. When I went there a month ago the ferris wheel was still standing but on saturday it was almost completely gone. There are also no coasters to be seen from the outside of the park.

Goodbye Expoland, would have been awesome to have a amusement park 15 min. from my room