TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

There are right-wing hatemongers everywhere. While they are more plentiful (by percentage) in the small towns, the cities are generally pretty easy-going and friendly. Austin has the politicians in it, but the town isn't that way.

Dallas might judge you by the labels on your clothes or the hood ornament on your car, but Arlington (where SFOT is) isn't like that.

Houston has a lesbian mayor who just won her second term election.

But enough of that... You can come here and in just three days, hit the major parks and ride:

3 inverted

2 woodies

1 bobsled

4 kiddie coasters

1 launched shuttle

2 badass steel/wood hybrids

2 spinning coasters

2 mine trains

1 enclosed coaster

1 classic Schwarzkopf looper

1 hypercoaster

1 boomerang

1 launched Premier looper

1 floorless terrain coaster

1 steel non-looping coaster

1 water coaster

1 Euro-fighter

In addition, if you spend more time in Texas, you can hit some of the kiddie parks and three Schlitterbahn parks.

That last bit should be enough to trump any right-wing nonsense, because SCHLITTERBAHN.

In response to the "hatemongers" comment... All the metropolitan areas in Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) are pretty liberal and progressive. If you are in any of those places, you'll be (mostly) surrounded by other forward thinking folks Although, I will say, I have no plans to consider moving back to Texas (unless marriage equality is passed, which is something Texas won't ever likely do on its own).

But it's certainly a good state for coasters!

In response to the "hatemongers" comment... All the metropolitan areas in Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) are pretty liberal and progressive.

really don't want to pull this off track, but sorry, do feel the need to follow up (again, sorry).

I have lived in Texas since I was 7 years old.

grew up in Houston, came to Austin for College and never left (been here over 25 years now). I'm really well traveled across the State as well, including Brownsville, Dallas/Ft.Worth (Metroplex), and San Antonio.

out of all the *major* cities in Texas, Austin is the liberal oasis, and truly the only one I can say is "progressive"

by far it's the only one where I, as a Homosexual male, have never feared for my safety at any place in the city.

that can NOT be said of Dallas (if you aren't in the Oak Lawn "gay" area). . and yes, I have been harassed while in Deep Ellum). it can NOT be said of Houston (if you aren't in the Montrose "gay" area . . and yes, I will always remember Paul Broussard -- gaybashed to death by a group of kids who drove to the Montrose area to "beat up a gay").

San Antonio? yeah, there are a couple of areas around the city where there are pockets of gay bars/restaurants -- but it's a Military town, and I have more than enough experiences of being harassed while in the Alamo area (while walking to the Bonham Exchange), or on the Riverwalk with my partner.

sorry, but I stand by my opinion of the "great" state of Texas as being chock-full of hatemongers. I've experienced it, I've seen it, and I've lived it.

but as you may note from my account, I live in a suburb of Austin, and Austin is very different from most of the cities in Texas -- mainly because it has "college-town" mentality, and yes, that translates to more open-mindedness.

ok. . rant over, and apologies. just wanted to get it off my chest

now back to coasters!

When I worked at SFOT in 1995, I would go to the Villiage for 80s music on Sunday nights (funny it was only the 90s so it wasn't that old!)

I didn't have concern myself, but I was told several times "make sure you RUN back to your car" and creepy stuff like that. Never had a problem, but it's a shame that others have. Sometimes I can't fathom why people do the things they do. But I know that karma is a funny thing.

Ok coasters now Ahhh... the time I sat up on the Texas Giant's mid course brake for an hour.... It was still a very good ride, then. The double-up was still in place; but the wicked curved going into the helix was long gone and brakes had been added as well. I still have the ride manuals for that and the Judge packed away with more coaster stuff somewhere.

^^ I'm from Houston and San Antonio and can say I never encountered anything bad going out to any of the gay bars there or Dallas or Austin. Maybe I was just fortunate.

Anyways back to iron rattler. I'm curious to see how fast things start coming together. I'm sure they're gonna start moving quick especially now with weekend only ops.

I'm really liking the new steel track being done on these coasters. Funny how so far the only coasters getting this refurb are in the state of Texas. If only Busch gardens would have this done to Gwazi then maybe that ride would finally have all its issues fixed. I'm sure many would agree that Mean Streak should be the next candidate for this type of refurbishment.

I'm really liking the new steel track being done on these coasters. Funny how so far the only coasters getting this refurb are in the state of Texas. If only Busch gardens would have this done to Gwazi then maybe that ride would finally have all its issues fixed. I'm sure many would agree that Mean Streak should be the next candidate for this type of refurbishment.

Sadly I think the best iron horse candidates are just about exhausted, save Mean Streak, which won't happen. I don't expect too many more unless someone decides to build one from scratch. Perhaps this project will be much cheaper than NTG, and will attract more attention.

Is the small hill after the barrel roll an overbank, or a bunny hill?

Sadly I think the best iron horse candidates are just about exhausted, save Mean Streak, which won't happen. I don't expect too many more unless someone decides to build one from scratch. Perhaps this project will be much cheaper than NTAG, and will attract more attention.

What about Boss?

Sadly I think the best iron horse candidates are just about exhausted, save Mean Streak, which won't happen. I don't expect too many more unless someone decides to build one from scratch. Perhaps this project will be much cheaper than NTAG, and will attract more attention.

What about Boss?

Yes, please. Boss was awesome the year it opened, but by the last time we went in 2007, it was already pretty rough. Iron Horse would make that ride amazing.

I think thats an awfully closed minded view. I could easily see the Iron Horse treatment on Ghostrider, the Boss, Colossus, Viper, etc...

Iron Rattler is to me the most impressive of the 2013 additions by Six Flags, and makes a whole lot of sense. The setting looks spectacular, and I hope to see more of the SF parks working with Rocky Mountain Coasters on renovations such as this. SFMM could definitely do something interesting with Colossus!

^^ I agree with you on some of those, but some of them I think would benefit more from simple topper track replacement jobs. I think Colossus, Boss, Mean Streak, Le Monstre, and dare I say it?.... Beast would all be good candidates for Iron Horse.

I went to the park today. It was light crowds today. I really just went to take my niece to ride some coasters. I'm sure most of you seen the deals but they have a great deal right now on season passes. I took advantage of it and got the gold pass. FREE PARKING will pay for itself in just one visit.

Anyways, I'm ready for you Iron Rattler. Speaking of which, all I could see from Road Runner turn at the top was they demolished almost all of the turns at the top of the cliff. They do have the cool video and pictures up in a area near the entrance of Rattler but its the same stuff we already seen.

^^ I agree with you on some of those, but some of them I think would benefit more from simple topper track replacement jobs. I think Colossus, Boss, Mean Streak, Le Monstre, and dare I say it?.... Beast would all be good candidates for Iron Horse.

The Boss has a pretty good layout so my prediction is gonna be The Boss gets a complete topper track makeover for 2014. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Anyone know if RMC has an exclusive contract with Six Flags for so many number of coaster makeovers??

Looks awesome!! I love how they're implementing steel tracks on the classic woodies.

Rattler is hardly a classic (built in 1992 - it's younger than I am!). Some wooden coasters deserve to remain wooden.

The Boss has a pretty good layout so my prediction is gonna be The Boss gets a complete topper track makeover for 2014. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Anyone know if RMC has an exclusive contract with Six Flags for so many number of coaster makeovers??

I would guess that the answer is no. I don't think that Rocky Mountain would advertise the I-Box conversion on their website if a certain group had specific rights to it, unless they made a note that it was available in international markets only.

^^Texas Giant opened in 1990 just 2 years before the Rattler and Texas Giant has been considered a classic by many so for the difference in 2 years I really don't see your point.

indeed. While 22 or 20 years may not seem that long in people years, for a coaster or any park attraction for that matter, it's a very long time. Just because its not a John C allen or herbert schmeck doesn't mean it can't be a classic.

These are no doubt classic rides, they were the beasts of their era. Yeah, these things aren't too different than woodies that are being built today, besides recent trends like 90deg banks n stuff, but they are rides that were the biggest and best when they were built. I remember seeing tons of photos of the Texas Giant where the track crosses over the lift when I was younger and becoming an enthusiast. Sure they weren't built in the 1940s but they are (were?) certainly classics of the modern era of woodies, and a whole new era of wooden style coasters is just beginning.