TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I was at the park on Saturday for the first time and had a great time. The park has some great rides and has a beautiful setting; the views on Bizzaro''s lift and especially on Sky Screamer are amazing! My only minor problem was with the Q-bot. As soon as I got it I reserved Goliath, and before I rode I reserved Wicked Cyclone. After Goliath, I was on my way to Wicked Cyclone and almost at the entrance when it vibrated and said "Not Rented, Please Return." So I walked back to the Flash Pass center and they fixed it. I really wanted to ride Wicked Cyclone so I reserved it and started walking back again and when I was at the stairs in front of Sky Screamer it vibrated again and said "Not Rented, Please Return." So I turned around and walked all the way back again and this time they gave me a new one which worked the rest of the day. It was frustrating as I spent a half-hour walking back and forth from WC to the front gate but the new one worked fine the rest of the day. As far as ride ops, they were ok. Not terrible, but not great either. While at Wicked Cyclone, the op on the mic announced that this was their 20th cycle in an hour and was sincerely congratulating the rest of the ops. IMO, 3 minute dispatches isn't that impressive. Though to be fair, there were a lot of people coming up the exit with ride passes that forced the ops to leave certain rows empty when letting people in from the line. This was happening a lot which I found odd. Why are people going up the exit and not the flash pass line if they have a line pass? Anyway, onto the rides:

That's pretty awful. That makes that crew the worst out of the four newer RMC's. 20 cycles is a low hour at Goliath and Medusa, and I assume TC as well. What are they possibly doing that they're moving so much slower than their counterparts? Are you sure you heard 20? And not 25 or 30?

It was definitely 20. I would get off, walk down the exit ramp, back to the entrance, down the flash pass line, walk up the stairs to the station (which is all a long hike) and the train I got off would still be waiting to dispatch.

There were a lot of people coming up the exit with some ticket to ride and they would get on the platform but their seat would be filled by the op controlling the line and then they would be bothering the ops wondering what to do and everyone would be confused.

I was at the park on Saturday for the first time and had a great time. The park has some great rides and has a beautiful setting; the views on Bizzaro''s lift and especially on Sky Screamer are amazing! My only minor problem was with the Q-bot. As soon as I got it I reserved Goliath, and before I rode I reserved Wicked Cyclone. After Goliath, I was on my way to Wicked Cyclone and almost at the entrance when it vibrated and said "Not Rented, Please Return." So I walked back to the Flash Pass center and they fixed it. I really wanted to ride Wicked Cyclone so I reserved it and started walking back again and when I was at the stairs in front of Sky Screamer it vibrated again and said "Not Rented, Please Return." So I turned around and walked all the way back again and this time they gave me a new one which worked the rest of the day. It was frustrating as I spent a half-hour walking back and forth from WC to the front gate but the new one worked fine the rest of the day. As far as ride ops, they were ok. Not terrible, but not great either. While at Wicked Cyclone, the op on the mic announced that this was their 20th cycle in an hour and was sincerely congratulating the rest of the ops. IMO, 3 minute dispatches isn't that impressive. Though to be fair, there were a lot of people coming up the exit with ride passes that forced the ops to leave certain rows empty when letting people in from the line. This was happening a lot which I found odd. Why are people going up the exit and not the flash pass line if they have a line pass? Anyway, onto the rides:

That's pretty awful. That makes that crew the worst out of the four newer RMC's. 20 cycles is a low hour at Goliath and Medusa, and I assume TC as well. What are they possibly doing that they're moving so much slower than their counterparts? Are you sure you heard 20? And not 25 or 30?

I agree! I was also there on Saturday and found the same results for Wicked Cyclone. It seemed to take about 2.5-3 minutes per dispatch or more! If I had been there when they made that announcement, it would have taken everything in me to not scoff at how laughable that it. It was weird though, because when I rode Mind Eraser, that crew was god damn quick. They were sending out trains every 30-45 seconds tops. I did about 5 rides within the span of 15 minutes.

Well those RMC trains are the worst trains that have been designed in recent history so I can't exactly blame them for not getting very good hours but 20 is still really low. And you've got to think about how much easier it is to check restraints on mind eraser. That's why they can dispatch so much quicker.

The trains themselves are fine, it's the unnecessary seatbelts that the parks asked to install on them that causes the long dispatch times. However, SDC does fine even with the seatbelts, probably at least 30 dispatches an hour, which isn't horrendous, but isn't great either.

^Those trains are not fine. They are poorly thought out and even without seatbelts, not user friendly.

The lapbars are very heavy, making them difficult to push up and down. This means that when the train parks, everyone just sits in their seats until they either realize that it's time to go, hear an attendant tell them to pull up their lapbar, or someone else does it for them. The mechanism that locks/unlocks the restraints has to actually move up and down with a cylinder, meaning that there is a delay between the train parking and the restraints unlocking, as well as a delay between when the dispatch buttons are pressed and when the train can actually begin moving. This also means that anytime there is any sort of stop or error, the restraints instantly lock. The seatbelts on the train can only be checked if the lapbar is up, and easily twist. The padding on the shoulder and back is held on by Velcro, so they can fly off if someone accidentally or purposefully detaches them. The fiberglass trains are weaker than the actual seatbelts, which causes excessive fiberglass damage from the seatbelts banging on them.

And that's without mentioning that they are temperamental, so they will never run the exact same day-to-day. And that RMC still hasn't completely figured out which wheels should be running on their coasters, which is why Wicked Cyclone's trains ride so differently.

There are far more frustrations with those things, but that's just off the top of my head.

^Skyrush sends a telegram.

Say what you will about the restraints, but those trains are not poorly designed - they're one hell of an innovation if I've ever seen one.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I would argue the inverse in terms of their "poor design". I think they are probably the most comfortable trains I have ever had the pleasure of placing my rear in (sorry B&M). The padding comes off for easy cleaning and replacement which if you ask me, is pretty nifty. They offer a glassy smooth ride and the suspension system built into the trains is in my opinion, a work of art. In response to the lap bar complaint, I don't believe the lap bars themselves are heavy, I think think that effect comes from the hydraulics and there's probably a reason for that. RMC has the resources to make lap bars that act similarly to that of B&M or Intamin, I think they chose not to.

Say what you will about the restraints, but those trains are not poorly designed - they're one hell of an innovation if I've ever seen one.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I would argue the inverse in terms of their "poor design". I think they are probably the most comfortable trains I have ever had the pleasure of placing my rear in (sorry B&M). The padding comes off for easy cleaning and replacement which if you ask me, is pretty nifty. They offer a glassy smooth ride and the suspension system built into the trains is in my opinion, a work of art. In response to the lap bar complaint, I don't believe the lap bars themselves are heavy, I think think that effect comes from the hydraulics and there's probably a reason for that. RMC has the resources to make lap bars that act similarly to that of B&M or Intamin, I think they chose not to.

i'm not sure i'd rank them over B&M hyper, but they are damn comfortable. the lap bars are heavy, but never move while riding. the one thing i don't like, at least on TC, is it does take a bit to unlock once the train is stopped in the station. the seats and pads are the only bad part. but, not the way they attach. the material and coating isn't holding up.

Ok so the restraints are so overpowerlingly bad that it kind of makes all the other complaints seem insignificant, but they also happen to be the ugliest coaster trains ever built (they look like platforms on wheels with office chairs bolted onto them), and the ride is extremely rough compared to other Intamins. Also, the wing seats are a gimmick that limit what they can do as far as transitions and elements. I love the ride particularly in the wing seats so for me that last one isn't so much of a drawback, but if you're one of those people that hates it, that could easily be seen as a bad thing.

Yes, those shocks are such a work of art. Such a great work of art that the shocks were actually replaced by tubes of rubber because they were destroying themselves and the wheels. You obviously haven't ridden Goliath at SFGAm this year, because that glass smooth ride is disappearing quickly after just over a year of the ride being open. There's a reason that most other coaster trains don't have 4 separate removable pieces of padding per seat. Just wait a couple years and you won't think those trains are so marvelous.

A good point, but I speculate that problem may be particular to Goliath. I haven't been hearing a whole lot of complaints about Medusa or Outlaw Run yet. Both those use the same trains, but the only thing I can think of that could separate Goliath's trains from others are it's wheels. It seems that Six Flags will change the wheel combo depending on the coaster so it wouldn't surprise me if the complaints about smoothness could be the result of a set of bad wheeles. Also, I noticed that the top wheel has its own suspension system, similar to that of a car. It's held by two brackets, one on either side of the wheel and assembly pivots on one end of the bracket and the other is connected to the shock absorber. If your claims are true, and Six Flags replaced the shock absorbers with a cheaper alternative, any vibrations would go directly from the wheels to the rest of the chassi. This same idea would apply to the vibration problem on one of Wicked Cyclone's trains. If one or both the shock absorbers is too stiff or is no longer working, vibrations would become much more pronounced.

Yes, those shocks are such a work of art. Such a great work of art that the shocks were actually replaced by tubes of rubber because they were destroying themselves and the wheels. You obviously haven't ridden Goliath at SFGAm this year, because that glass smooth ride is disappearing quickly after just over a year of the ride being open. There's a reason that most other coaster trains don't have 4 separate removable pieces of padding per seat. Just wait a couple years and you won't think those trains are so marvelous.

A good point, but I speculate that problem may be particular to Goliath. I haven't been hearing a whole lot of complaints about Medusa or Outlaw Run yet. Both those use the same trains, but the only thing I can think of that could separate Goliath's trains from others are it's wheels. It seems that Six Flags will change the wheel combo depending on the coaster so it wouldn't surprise me if the complaints about smoothness could be the result of a set of bad wheeles. Also, I noticed that the top wheel has its own suspension system, similar to that of a car. It's held by two brackets, one on either side of the wheel and assembly pivots on one end of the bracket and the other is connected to the shock absorber. If your claims are true, and Six Flags replaced the shock absorbers with a cheaper alternative, any vibrations would go directly from the wheels to the rest of the chassi. This same idea would apply to the vibration problem on one of Wicked Cyclone's trains. If one or both the shock absorbers is too stiff or is no longer working, vibrations would become much more pronounced.

Medusa's trains are identical apart from the theming, and they're having plenty of issues too. OR is the only one that uses steel wheels and there's a reason why none of the others do. Six Flags didn't replace the shocks, RMC told them too. They weren't replaced to save money, they were replaced because the actual shock absorbers were causing issues. The trains on WC and TC are the third generation of the RMC trains, which proves that all trains previous had quite a few flaws.

I had no idea that RMC has several generations of their trains. I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that the trains had remained consistent. Just out of curiosity, what changes were made between gen 2 and 3? I'm just wondering whether they finally worked out the kinks in the design...