TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this would be a sweet spot for a Dive Coaster. The view from the pathway by the batwings would be sweet!

I know some people still(for some reason) like Vortex but it's about time for it to go. I always loved its setting.

Vortex-Kings-Island-CoasterImage.jpg.499854e7de3cc3803f8c3f7f0d0853d0.jpg

Reading the Dollywood forum, I've noticed a lot of people mention that had RMC built SOB/reinvented SOB, how amazing it would have been. That got me to thinking, if CF ever finally jumps on the RMC trend how likely it could be that they would build a "Revenge of Son Of Beast" ground up RMC woodie. They could bring back the tallest wooden coaster record, and have a successful inverting woodie. And, there is still plenty, plenty of space to place it in the majority of SOB former footprint. It would also go well with the seemingly dark theme they have in that area of the park. Just my thoughts.

^Truly an RMC at KI would be interesting, but In my opinion, i think maybe Cedar Fair might try having RMC do something to an existing wood coaster first. (AKA MEAN STREAK). But who knows whats in the works for all these cedar fair parks. From water park expansions (Cough) to new coasters to dark rides in the future.

^^ We probably wont see Vortex gone until either A) part prices get extremely high or B) It turns into a non-fun ride. I try to ride it every time I go, and its always near the front, and it seems smooth/ But back can give you a slow painful death.

^See it's painful for me every time I ride and anywhere i sit. Maybe it's a sign that I'm just getting old!

When I rode Viper a few years back at SFMM I didn't think it was nearly as rough as Vortex.

Edited by FaithPlus1

I suggest the Old Bag of Nails instead of Brazenhead. Brazenhead isn't bad and has a really nice building, but it could be run better. It has lost a lot of local support in recent years. Bag of Nails has great food, plenty of beer and is closer to the park. It is just down Kings Mills Road in the Kroger shopping center, maybe a mile and a half from the park.

My friend and i are making a trip to KI and CP Aug 12-15. We were going to drive from toronto to KI on the wednesday evening and ride and then come back on thursday morning, then we will head to cp. We both have platinum passes so we can come and go.

Can anyone recommend where to stay nearby? We just need a simple hotel, nothing fancy, but not a dump.

Also, I am a craft brewer and like to try local beers when i travel. Is there a pub or brewpub nearby with decent beer and food? Even a good beer distributor would be nice.

Any idea what crowds will be like midweek this time of year? I figure it often slows down later on and first thing in the morning is a good time to hit a few rides before things fill up.

The Brazenhead is only 5 minutes from the park and has 30 beers on tap! I've been meaning to check this place out, but somehow haven't got around to it yet.

Head to Diamondback for ERT; you'll be able to get in about 5 rides before the park opens, and Banshee will only have a 10-15 minute wait after about 2 pm. When the park opens, head to FoF THEN Firehawk. Next head to Backlot, as that line will start getting long around 11 am. Beast's line will be pretty short until around mid-afternoon. Be sure to get a night ride on it!

thanks all for the heads up on both rides and beers. I read that it is open until 8pm wednesday. I may try to leave sooner as it looks like a 6-7 hour drive. We will take advantage of the morning ERT, ride until it gets too hot/ crowded and then head to cedar point. I am guessing midsummer midweek will be moderately busy, but the ERT may help us get 'er done.

I am a big fan of B&M inverts, and would rank the ones i have ridden: Batman, Montu, Talon, Great bear, so i want to ride banshee.

Having Canada's Wonderland as our home park, i see a lot of similarities. It might be fun to do a report card comparing the 2 parks.

Our Back lot stunt coaster runs none of it's themeing or effects, so it might be neat to se yours working.

Diamondback is a similar coaster to our Behemoth with a splashdown effect.

I heard the Beast may be a bit rough but is a cool night ride. We have some rough wood at home too so i can compare.

you have the bat which i believe is a sister of our vortex.

Vortex looks a bit bigger than dragons fyre, but old school arrow bent coathanger designed.

I had been to 6flags america near DC and they had a launched premier which looks like FoF. I actually really liked it so it might be interesting indoors, and they also have a flying dutchman which looks similar to firehawk.

I also love huss enterprise and the monster, so i will try to hit those too.

Then we drink a bier!

I got a hotel room at the quality suites. I think we are going to go into town to the Mad tree brewing taproom. The park closes 8pm and the taproom 10pm. I don't wan to be tempted to stay up really late since we are back at the park the next morning and then on to cedar point that afternoon.

I looked at the Brazen head but the reviews suggested it had been better and was kinda crummy now. Internet is not always most reliable but who knows.

Going today! anybody want to join us, should be at the park after lunch sometime.

Vortex has nothing on the defunct Mantis. What a horrible ride that was. I like Vortex quite a bit, and make a point to ride it a few times on every trip.

Also, as been discussed in other CF park threads, Cedar Fair had their analyst day yesterday and released figures that are pretty positive for Kings Island all things considered. Kings Island is their #3 park for EBITDA, which shows that it's still a very important park to CF going forward.

The following image is for all parks in the CF chain:

thumb_image_12938.jpg

Now, which of these do you think is hitting KI first? Is one of those planned coasters for KI?

I see a giga or a blitz coming before another wooden coaster. I'm betting they're gonna distance themselves from anything that'll remind the GP of Son of Beast for a while.

Ride removals for the next three years? What with Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, and King's Island (sort of) all having removed rides in the past few years, I wonder if we're gonna see more axed from the major parks, or if the smaller parks are gonna get hit.

I know some people still(for some reason) like Vortex but it's about time for it to go. I always loved its setting.

Vortex is one of the better Arrow loopers ever built, and still a very popular ride with the GP. I was at the park recently, and Vortex had the third longest line in the park (behind firehawk and diamondback), and about the same wait as FoF, beast, and Banshee. They weren't going very slow on loading either, and were running three trains. They also featured it on the travel channel last year, talking about how pleased they are with the ride, with officials from the park saying it's one of their most trafficed attractions, and that it's got many years left in it.

Personally, as far as Arrows go, I'd say it's among the best. Drachen Fire, Shockwave, and GASM were SUBSTANTIALLY more rough, which is why they are gone now. Hell, Demon is more rough than Vortex, and that barely does anything.

There are enthusiasts who think it's time for it to go, but judging by the lines and the comments I hear from the GP, I'd be shocked to see it go anytime soon.

I used to think Vortex was rough, like you, but then I took an Arrow to the neck.

Vortex is definitely one of the best Arrow custom loopers I've been on. That says more about Arrow custom loopers than it does about Vortex, but still. Vortex may not be very "good," but that doesn't make it one of "the worst."

So we got to the park for an hour at the end of the day, since traffic getting here was worse than predicted.

Banshee was down when we went by so we hit racer and then the beast.

Racer was fun. not too crazy but decent and reasonably well looked after. It would race better if they dispatched the trains at the same time. Bartender later said you have to ask them to race the trains?!?!

We got a couple of rides on the beast at sunset. since they closed at 8pm a night ride was not possible. Wow, awesome. that was a really great old wooden coaster! It bumped around a bit but i wouldn't call it rough by any stretch. It was really fast, and running through the trees was awesome! The inclined double helix after the second lift hill was crazy good. Anybody who claims it is too rough has no business riding wooden coasters. Come to wonderland and you will appreciate better what you have.

We got our last rides in at 8pm and made a run for Mad Tree Brewing taproom. the food finishes at 9pm and we just made it. Had some tasty beers with dinner and brought some home to enjoy later. nice place with good beer. it was hopping when we got there at almost 9pm wednesday.

Tomorrow we are back for early ert and then ride what we can before heading to cedar point. First impressions were that it was a nice clean park. pretty decent selection of coaster types for such a small park. A few of my favorite flats: Everly Monster and Huss Troika!

Nice little park you have here!

Tomorrow we are back for early ert and then ride what we can before heading to cedar point. First impressions were that it was a nice clean park. pretty decent selection of coaster types for such a small park. A few of my favorite flats: Everly Monster and Huss Troika!

Nice little park you have here!

Be sure to ride Backlot Stunt Coaster tomorrow. One of the most under rated coasters.