TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^SoB is a sad waste of good kindling. I rode it for the first time over a month ago and found it to be both rough and boring--not a good combination.

That's exactly the way I feel about the ride. I've ridden it both with and without the loop. Back then it had the loop, at least you felt somewhat "rewarded" for all your pain - going upside-down on a woodie. Now, there's really nothing to get out of the beating you take. I've said it before (as have many others here) - the layout is a complete lemon. Its extremely boring. There's really no more reason to put up with it. I say give it the wrecking ball and light it on fire, and start fresh, using that land for something worthwhile.

They could even build a new woodie and use the existing wood! I'm sure GG, or GCI could come up with SOMETHING better than that... Also, with the world going "Green", it would give King's Island a good rep.

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to look back through 14 pages.

They could even build a new woodie and use the existing wood! I'm sure GG, or GCI could come up with SOMETHING better than that... Also, with the world going "Green", it would give King's Island a good rep.

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to look back through 14 pages.

Cant use the same wood. Its one of the reasons SOB is so painful. It would just be better to use all new wood.

Could do the smart thing and sells peices of the ride. Disney does it all the time and regularly gets big bucks for even the smallest thing. So there it not only is saved from the landfill, but turns into a display item. Which is doing more good then it is still standing.

I'd pay well over $100 for enough wood from SoB to make a Bonfire. The satisfaction from destroying something that I'm sure took a couple years off of my life would be worth it. At the very least I'm sure it makes me much more susceptible to arthritis later in life. (All that bone-jarring can't be good)

-James Dillaman

EDIT: And I'd even post a fun photo TR. I might even invite Chuck, Guy, Erik and Andrew back up here, so they could personally each toss a board on...

I agree with your possibility here, however if this happens immediately like this, why does no one think to inform the park for over two weeks? Generally, people don't go to an amusement park alone, and even if she did, on her way to the hospital or when talking to a doctor at the hospital, you would think she would have said that it started after a ride on Son of Beast.

We don't even know if she was fully conscious when she went to the hospital. I mean, its not like she slipped and fell. She could have been having a full bore stroke by the time she got to the ER.

Isn't that the ENTIRE point of running an investigation? There are obviously answers you want that you won't get until the ongoing investigation is complete. And to me it just sounds like you're waiting for the details so you can negativly judge the injured woman. This may or may not be true, I don't care, but that's all I'm getting from your posts. I'll wait for the full story.

If the entire point of running an investigation is to figure out what caused it, why immediately shut down SOB until you are sure you can point at it?

And I really don't get where I'm trying to negatively judge the injured woman from -- I'm wondering what she said or did that the park believed it enough to shut down a ride that they believed was operating totally normally immediately, weeks after she had rode it.

It's possible that she had a mild headache earlier in the day and it progressively got larger as the day went on. I, along with most of the people I'm usually with at parks, get headaches all the time at parks. I have no idea when and where it started , just the fact that it was there. She could have just blamed SOB because it's easily one of (if not THE) roughest coasters in the park, and going back to my other argument again, if she said she got hurt on SOB, the park isn't going to ignore her and IS going to shut down the ride to inspect it.

I agree that SOB makes itself the obvious culprit, but again -- what I'm interested in is finding out why the park shut it down over two weeks later, before the state asked them too. Otherwise, can this set a precedent that any rough wooden coaster (Ghostrider and Mean Streak come to mind) can be blamed and shut down for any similar hospitalization trip even weeks after the person has rode?

In all the cases that you have presented, parks immediately shut down rides because the problem happened immediately. Shutting down a ride believed to be operating normally over two weeks after an incident (that I had assumed they didn't know about until then, more on this in a second) point to something different to me.

If it happens all the time, can anyone think of *any* other time that a park ran a ride for a lengthy period and felt it was operating normally, and then immediately shut it down for an incident that had occurred earlier? I tried to find any examples of that, and I cannot find any times that an operating ride was closed weeks after someone claimed an incident on the ride. The closest I could find was a few hours of operation afterwards.

There is one possibility that I thought of in both reading your replies and writing this one that I bet is what really happened: The person riding got off the ride, got first aid at the park and was dispatched from there. Two weeks later, it was found out that she had this issue, which would be why they could trace it *immediately* back to SOB specifically, leading to the shutdown of it.

And seriously, I have no issues with the woman -- she *obviously* is believable enough to cause Cedar Fair to shut down a huge attraction, so that makes me believe there is something to it. If it wasn't a believable incident, I can't imagine Cedar Fair just shutting down the ride. If you called your local park and told them their coaster hurt you, I really doubt it would automatically trigger a state investigation. There has to be something there -- and like I said, the timeframe thing here is the interesting part to me.

Having said all that, with the hypothesis two paragraphs above, I've now come up with something I can think.

Hmm.. if cedar fair is willing to give SOB another shot, i think this could save it. Possibly.

Gravity Group Engineers Unveil Next-Generation Wood Coaster Train

November 18, 2008 – The engineers at The Gravity Group started with a blank sheet of paper and ended up with the next generation of trains for wooden roller coasters.

"Timberliners incorporate new technology - such as magnetic braking and restraint monitoring - that wasn't even imagined when wooden coaster cars were first developed," says Michael Graham, lead engineer for the project. "When it comes to wooden coasters, The Gravity Group has more experience designing rides than anyone. We've applied that expertise in designing trains that addresses every facet of roller coaster performance and function - from maintenance and safety to rider enjoyment and capacity."

Timberliners are designed to be compatible with existing wooden coasters, allowing a park to upgrade their roller coasters with Timberliner trains.

Key features of the trains include:

• Single-bench design
  • Shock absorption and ergonomic styling
  • Unparalleled ability to smoothly navigate the track for decreased train & track maintenance
  • Innovative restraint system for unsurpassed safety and security
  • Restraints designed for higher throughput
  • ASTM F2291 Class 5 restraint with integrated monitoring
  • On-board sound system capable
  • Magnetic braking capable
  • Launch system capable

Timberliners are available for purchase in time for the 2009 operating season through The Gravity Group's sister company, Gravitykraft.

http://www.thegravitygroup.com/news_recent.html

Too me this thing sounds amazing and a perfect fit for SOB.

^^ Another experimental idea.... just what Son of Beast needs...

Imagine this idea failing and the ride experience being the same.

1.) Very expensive refurb(trains, control systems, and brakes) and nothing gained for cedar fair

2.) Bad publicity for the new trains for GG

Just cut your losses CF. The structure was flawed and will not continue to hold up. Timberliners aren't going to be the answer to every wooden coaster flaw until they have a fully functional train that has run for a couple years.

^^ Another experimental idea.... just what Son of Beast needs...

Imagine this idea failing and the ride experience being the same.

1.) Very expensive refurb(trains, control systems, and brakes) and nothing gained for cedar fair

2.) Bad publicity for the new trains for GG

Just cut your losses CF. The structure was flawed and will not continue to hold up. Timberliners aren't going to be the answer to every wooden coaster flaw until they have a fully functional train that has run for a couple years.

it works tho. They ran them on Holiday worlds Raven. And still its a improvement on the ride.

Also, why would they need to upgrade the brakes and ride system? These are designed to be placed on and work just like a regular coaster train.

^What ginzo said. SOB has more problems than just its trains. And the Gerstlauer trains already represent management's attempt to salvage the ride.

When I asked some of the TPR gang last year how the Great Nor'Easter was with the new trains, they told me, "It's better... but it's still an SLC." I think that's been the general consensus on SOB.

Burn it down, sell the charcoal to Kingston, and put something... anything... in its place.

When I asked some of the TPR gang last year how the Great Nor'Easter was with the new trains, they told me, "It's better... but it's still an SLC." I think that's been the general consensus on SOB.

Yeah, it's still just as rough as an SLC, you just have nothing to hit your head against. Same principle applies for Wildcat at Hershey. It got brand new Millennium Flyers a few years ago, but I still think it's one of the roughest coasters I have ever ridden.

I've given Mean Streak numerous chances, and it is pretty bad but not unbearable. I choose not to ride it because it is pretty boring, not because of the roughness. Although, when I had my trimless Mean Streak ride I felt like I was going rounds with Rampage Jackson. Even still I hope to ride Son of Beast to get the credit. I am heading up to Kings Island for a few days starting July 11th, then heading up to Cedar Point for a few more days. Should be a good time.