TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

“Now because we take all comments seriously and we’re proactive, we immediately closed the ride and contacted the state of Ohio and told them we wanted to conduct a thorough maintenance review.”

If SOB closed every time an injury is reported it would probably never be open. Must be a pretty big lawsuit or settlement in the making.

“Now because we take all comments seriously and we’re proactive, we immediately closed the ride and contacted the state of Ohio and told them we wanted to conduct a thorough maintenance review.”

If SOB closed every time an injury is reported it would probably never be open. Must be a pretty big lawsuit or settlement in the making.

Or it's a big injury. There aren't any details, so we don't know.

I can't believe that the injury was on May 31 and it wasn't reported to the park until June 16, sounds like a load of crap to me, and some money.

I have never ridden SoB so i cant say how ruff it is, but i have been on a few coasters that have beat the crap out of me, these are the one's that come to mind, Mega Zeph (SFNO), the Villain (Geauga Lake),the Boss (SFSTL), and the Rattler (SFFT).

We just visited the park Sunday and surprise, just before we left I had herd that it was closed and that no one new when it would open again. I have been to the park 6 times since SoB has opened and i have yet to ride it, and would be nice to get the credit. I know I'm not missing very much.

Injury closures happen all the time. I worked on a coaster for three seasons and the state would call, have us allow any riders in line to ride and then close us. An inspector would come up, feel the restraints, watch the ride cycle a few times and take one ride himself. Then boom after 10 mins you reopen.

Sometimes this process of getting an inspector out took a week. During that time usually routine maintenance is completed.

Yeah Son of Beast has 1 Rough spot

Yes, pictured here:

Haha! Right on the money. Rough with no redeeming qualities.

I say if the wood can be salvaged, use it to build a dueling GCI.

If the wood can't be salvaged, use the space to build a B&M Invert.

If there are no plans to replace it, leave it be.

sob_209.jpg.c8e6bdbcb8c89ce0252a52535f3adddf.jpg

According to screamscape, which is in accordance to cincinnati.com, the women was admitted to ICU (Intensive care unit) with a broken blood vessel in her brain. That sounds pretty serious if you ask me, but I wonder if you can actual trace the root of the problem down to SoB? I mean I am sure SoB played a cause in the injury but couldn't there have been a series of unrelated injuries that built up to the injury? Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens to her, the ride and the law.

So you wait better than two weeks before you call and say... "Hey your ride hurt me"....yeah, sounds like a money grubbing low life to me. Especially given te economic times. Let's sue somebody for some cash.

I don't know if your aware but blood leaking into the brain can take weeks before it will affect the individual, You could be walking down the street 2 weeks after the injury and suddenly collapse, it is not unusual.

Just because there is a lot of people getting sue'd in the world at the moment, there is no reason to refer to the person as a "money grabbing low life" They might be seriously injured and possibly not able to walk again (just an example, don't know the finer details). I am sure the person involved would rather have the use of their legs than a large lump sum payment.

Either way, though she probably ignored the posted warnings and went on the ride anyway. That's usually the case with internal injuries such as this, heart problems, stroke, etc., the victim, in most cases, has a pre-existing condition. Now whether they know about it or not, you can still never be too cautious.

I'll hold my dad (had a heart attack and bypass in 2007) off some rides because I believe they're too intense.

There's two things that I think are interesting...

1) How does the person know that it is Son of Beast that hurt them?

2) How does this person know that it was from that day if they didn't report for 16 days?

Regardless, and this is the important part, the park immediately shut down the ride because of it. I think it would be very easy to say, "How can we tell it is the ride? Since then, 50,000 riders have gone through it and have been fine!

By immediately shutting it down, it gives the ride a sense of guilt that it might not have and a sort of stigma. I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair decided to use this as a reason to shutter the SOB forever. As we've speculated, maintenance costs must be extreme on it, and now with Diamondback at the park, they have something that overshadows this failure of a ride so they could easily move on without it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair decided to use this as a reason to shutter the SOB forever.

I doubt it. If sending 27 people to the hospital didn't shut it down for good, I doubt this minor speed bump will. The fact that it's still the tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the world is what keeps it going. My prediction is that as long as it hold those two titles, it will still continue to stand and operate, barring some extreme accident, of course. No matter how extreme maintenance costs are, wouldn't it be even more of an extreme project and task to remove it? It is fairly large, after all.

The fact that they shut it down doesn't mean anything. They're inspecting the ride to make sure it's safe. As I've stated, it's a large coaster, and it's difficult to keep tabs on every inch of it at all times. Wood splinters and bolts fail...it happens. Rides where accidents occur are shut down all the time and thoroughly inspected before reopening, this is no different. Why put many more people at risk if there is, in fact something wrong?

2) How does this person know that it was from that day if they didn't report for 16 days?

Was the woman not hospitalised for 16 days or was it not reported to the park for 16 days? I assume it was the latter, and if that is the case, I have a feeling the family was more concerned about the woman's recovery than they were about reporting the problem to the park. In no way does this means that they are unsure what caused the problem or that they are being money hungry.

The fact that they shut it down doesn't mean anything. They're inspecting the ride to make sure it's safe. As I've stated, it's a large coaster, and it's difficult to keep tabs on every inch of it at all times. Wood splinters and bolts fail...it happens. Rides where accidents occur are shut down all the time and thoroughly inspected before reopening, this is no different. Why put many more people at risk if there is, in fact something wrong?

Because how do they know that it is actually Son of Beast? Unless this person lived in a dark, cool room, came out on May 31st, rode Son of Beast and immediately returned back to that dark, cool room there are *lots* of other factors that could be at play.

The fact that it was reported as Son of Beast and the park immediately shut it down means there is something else at work here.

You're right that rides where accidents occur get shut down all the time, however other than what we see as a statement that the lady was injured on the ride, the ride continued to operate after May 31st. If there was a notable accident, the park would have had to close the ride down immediately, not wait slightly over two weeks to shut it down. Presumably, no "accident" occurred, and Son of Beast was operating normally during this time.

If the park is certain that during normal operation that it can hurt people and send them to intensive care, so certain that they immediately shut down the ride, it seems to be a more serious thing than an accident where the ride can be repaired and fixed. If the park is agreeing that during normal operation, this thing gives you brain bleeding, it's a MUCH larger problem than the 2006 accident.

And again, that's why I'm surprised the park immediately shut it down. They in their quotes have sounded sure this person was injured there, and if they knew they were, I would have expected the ride immediately shut down. If they didn't know, I don't know how they can be so sure this was SOB that was the problem.

Was the woman not hospitalised for 16 days or was it not reported to the park for 16 days? I assume it was the latter, and if that is the case, I have a feeling the family was more concerned about the woman's recovery than they were about reporting the problem to the park. In no way does this means that they are unsure what caused the problem or that they are being money hungry.

I, for one, am not claiming them to be money hungry. However, if you have a loved one who had a huge problem and you are certain that it is because of X, and 10,000 people go on X in a day, wouldn't you be concerned about their safety enough to tell someone (like the park) that there was a problem? Also, if this person were hospitalized for 16 days, wouldn't the media have gotten a hold of this first? It's been a *very* quiet media story so far.

Something here just doesn't add up right now. We need more details to be released by *someone* to explain why they are so certain it was SOB, and why if it was it took them so long between the accident and shutting it down.

You're right that rides where accidents occur get shut down all the time, however other than what we see as a statement that the lady was injured on the ride, the ride continued to operate after May 31st. If there was a notable accident, the park would have had to close the ride down immediately, not wait slightly over two weeks to shut it down. Presumably, no "accident" occurred, and Son of Beast was operating normally during this time.

It wasn't reported until mid to late June, a few weeks after the incident occurred. The park had no idea anyone was hurt until then. When they finally found out, they voluntarily shut it down immediately to investigate for any possible problems.

The department’s Amusement Ride Safety Division is assigned to the investigation, which will continue until all information can be gathered and the next step can be determined. If an investigation reveals a problem with the ride, the department has the authority to mandate that it be shut down until the problem is fixed and a full inspection can be completed.

Kings Island's spokesman, Don Helbig also said "it's too early to speculate when the ride will reopen." Notice he said "when" and not "if."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/burst-blood-vessel-led-to-ki-roller-coaster-closing-173244.html?cxtype=rss_local-news

It wasn't reported until mid to late June, a few weeks after the incident occurred. The park had no idea anyone was hurt until then. When they finally found out, they voluntarily shut it down immediately to investigate for any possible problems.

You're missing the other half of my argument however. If you didn't know that someone was hurt for two weeks, how can you be certain enough that it was the fault of that particular ride (and not Vortex, or the Racer, or the original Beast, or the train tracks they ran over in their car on the way to the park, or five hundred other things) to shut down one of your star attractions for an undetermined length of time?

What is the rest of this story? Did this person do nothing but ride SOB on their visit? Did they do nothing else at all that could have caused this? What about the other 50,000+ who rode it after her who are all presumably okay?

Like I said, this just opens a LOT of questions, and the park being so certain that this 'incident' was caused during normal operation where they didn't know about the problem for two weeks just seems really, really odd.

I hope it opens before the 12th-13th of July. I'll be going for the first time and I am looking to gather some credits. Kind of Ironic on only about 30 minutes form Kings Island and ive never been there, but ive been to florida and such to ride

If your brain starts to bleed, first instinct isn't to call up the state house and find out who's job it is to regulate amusement attractions. Its generally to seek medical attention. This isn't something they just give you a pill for and send you home. This is the kind of thing that gets your skull opened up.

As for the lack of media attention - again, woman shows up to the hospital presenting severe headache and partial paralysis of face. Ends up undergoing surgery. Family may not have known immediately when she started to feel bad because they weren't present when she was at the park. They may not have known until she came to and was extubated. She probably rode the coaster, got a huge headache, didn't ride anything else, and then ended up at the ER sometime shortly before she would have ended up dead, and done so with no prior neurological issues. Pure guess on my part, but with the ride we're talking about, I totally believe the possibility.

If your brain starts to bleed, first instinct isn't to call up the state house and find out who's job it is to regulate amusement attractions. Its generally to seek medical attention. This isn't something they just give you a pill for and send you home. This is the kind of thing that gets your skull opened up.

As for the lack of media attention - again, woman shows up to the hospital presenting severe headache and partial paralysis of face. Ends up undergoing surgery. Family may not have known immediately when she started to feel bad because they weren't present when she was at the park. They may not have known until she came to and was extubated. She probably rode the coaster, got a huge headache, didn't ride anything else, and then ended up at the ER sometime shortly before she would have ended up dead, and done so with no prior neurological issues. Pure guess on my part, but with the ride we're talking about, I totally believe the possibility.

I agree with your possibility here, however if this happens immediately like this, why does no one think to inform the park for over two weeks? Generally, people don't go to an amusement park alone, and even if she did, on her way to the hospital or when talking to a doctor at the hospital, you would think she would have said that it started after a ride on Son of Beast.

And then the park would have been contacted.

Like I said, we don't know the answer. I'm not defending Son of Beast because yeah, it sucks and I wouldn't deny it could do this with someone. But even your scenario that sounds quite plausible still doesn't explain the two week delay in the ride being shut down.

I'm wondering if more details about this will come out which will help explain it. That's all. As is, it just seems very strange.

If you didn't know that someone was hurt for two weeks, how can you be certain enough that it was the fault of that particular ride (and not Vortex, or the Racer, or the original Beast, or the train tracks they ran over in their car on the way to the park, or five hundred other things) to shut down one of your star attractions for an undetermined length of time?

What is the rest of this story? Did this person do nothing but ride SOB on their visit? Did they do nothing else at all that could have caused this? What about the other 50,000+ who rode it after her who are all presumably okay?

Like I said, this just opens a LOT of questions, and the park being so certain that this 'incident' was caused during normal operation where they didn't know about the problem for two weeks just seems really, really odd.

Isn't that the ENTIRE point of running an investigation? There are obviously answers you want that you won't get until the ongoing investigation is complete. And to me it just sounds like you're waiting for the details so you can negativly judge the injured woman. This may or may not be true, I don't care, but that's all I'm getting from your posts. I'll wait for the full story.

You're missing the other half of my argument however. If you didn't know that someone was hurt for two weeks, how can you be certain enough that it was the fault of that particular ride (and not Vortex, or the Racer, or the original Beast, or the train tracks they ran over in their car on the way to the park, or five hundred other things) to shut down one of your star attractions for an undetermined length of time?

No, I'm not missing anything. The lady reported that she got hurt on Son of Beast, so that's what they are going to inspect. Why would they shut down Flight of Fear, Drop Zone, Delirium, etc. if she reported that she got injured after SOB? I'm sure if she remembers not feeling well after riding anything else, she would have said so. If there was another ride that could possibly be dangerous, why would she keep it to herself and risk other people getting hurt?

Also, the same can be said for any park that's had an accident. People have died at Disney on Rock N' Roller Coaster and Mission Space. Does that mean those rides were the sole reasons for triggering the deaths? No, but that's where it happened and those rides, and those rides only, were shut down and thoroughly inspected afterward. You're making a big deal out of nothing, this coaster is going through routine inspection. and if it weren't for it's previous track record, no one would care.

When Kings Island confirms that it's closed for the remainder of the season, and when the first trip reports of 2010 show that it's still not operating, then there's reason for concern. As of now, it's not really that big of a deal, and at this stage, SOB is just going through an inspection and that's all. Don't be so quick to doom this ride just because of previous events involving it.

I agree with your possibility here, however if this happens immediately like this, why does no one think to inform the park for over two weeks? Generally, people don't go to an amusement park alone, and even if she did, on her way to the hospital or when talking to a doctor at the hospital, you would think she would have said that it started after a ride on Son of Beast.

And then the park would have been contacted.

Like I said, we don't know the answer. I'm not defending Son of Beast because yeah, it sucks and I wouldn't deny it could do this with someone. But even your scenario that sounds quite plausible still doesn't explain the two week delay in the ride being shut down.

I'm wondering if more details about this will come out which will help explain it. That's all. As is, it just seems very strange.

It's possible that she had a mild headache earlier in the day and it progressively got larger as the day went on. I, along with most of the people I'm usually with at parks, get headaches all the time at parks. I have no idea when and where it started , just the fact that it was there. She could have just blamed SOB because it's easily one of (if not THE) roughest coasters in the park, and going back to my other argument again, if she said she got hurt on SOB, the park isn't going to ignore her and IS going to shut down the ride to inspect it.