TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^

Change is inevitable.

I never heard anyone say anything about the loop being so awesome on this ride until they announced they were taking it away.

its kind of hard to focus on how smooth the loop is when you feel like youre being hit with axes during the entire rest of the ride

Here's the article:

Son of Beast flaw cited

BY JESSICA BROWN | _JLBROWN@..._ (mailto:JLBROWN@...)

MASON – The July 9 roller coaster accident at Paramount's Kings Island

that sent 27 people to the hospital was caused by a deficiency in the

structural design, according to a state report released today.

The design flaw in the Son of Beast allowed a vertical wooden support

beam to crack. The failure of that support led to the failure of two

other supports, causing a slight dip in the track, according to the

state. "This led to a `pothole' effect, injuring riders," states the

report from the Ohio Department of Agriculture.

In order for the ride to reopen, the park must:

• hire a qualified engineering firm to conduct a detailed review of

the entire structural design;

• complete structural modifications to eliminate design deficiencies;

• complete structural modifications to stiffen the structure and

reduce lateral movement;

• strengthen the wood components and connections to ensure structural

integrity. Metal chain plates should be added to strengthen wood

components and metal split rings should be added to strengthen bolted

connections.

The ride, which opened in 2000, has been closed since the accident.

Kings Island rebuilt a portion of the coaster in August. Two

negligence lawsuits have since been filed by injured riders.

Kings Island officials plan to remove the "loop" portion of the roller

coaster and re-open the ride this spring.

"That enables us to use lighter trains," said Maureen Kaiser, park

spokeswoman. "That will reduce the load on the physical structure and

lead to a more comfortable ride experience."

She said the change is above and beyond what the state required.

The change is expected to be a multi-million dollar project and will

remove the Son of Beast's designation as the only looping wooden

roller coaster in the world.

Kaiser said guest safety and comfort comes first. It remains the

tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in the world.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061213/NEWS01/312130022

What is with all these loop removals lately? Are vertical loops going out of style or something? Before we know it all vertical loops will be gone...

...I wonder what will be done about shuttle loops...

I was looking forward to riding the world's only looping coaster.

What exact world is this? Not this one! Because this world has many looping coasters!

I think he accidently left out the word "wooden" in there.

Awww, why don't they just REMOVE the POS? The loop was the only cool part of the ride, and now that it's gone. it's just another RCCA 'masterpiece'. I would be a lot happier if Intamin or someone else had already made a looping woodie, I mean, it would be a heck of a lot than SOBi*** would have ever been!

YO INTAMIN! REPLACE AMERICAN EAGLE WITH A MONSTER WOODIE-LOOPER! AE'S ALL BUMPY AND ROUGH-LIKE!

Surely lighter trains would only make the problem worse. Yes, they won't tear up the track as much but they will be thrown around even worse because of the already torn-up track.

A good example of this is B&M trains verses Vekoma. B&Ms stay smooth for ages because they have nice heavy trains that don't get thrown around easily and they have a track system which can take the weight. However vekoma trains are very light in comparison and so they get thrown around all over the place and they run on a track system that ages badly and is easily warped.

This would be what happened if you somehow ran a B&M train on vekoma track (which would probably buckle the track beyond regognition) and then you put the vekoma trains on it to make things 10 times worse.

This is a kind of wierd explanation but you get the idea.

This is really the lazy way out. The ride should be retracked with track that can take a beating or even better, just tear the thing down. No one likes it and with the loop gone, no one has a good reason to ride it

I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair doesn't give a damn about what the public thinks, they are more concerned with getting sued more and the best way to avoid this is to fix the ride in any way possible, I think we are all assuming how bad this ride will be way to early, just wait until next year and it may turn out to be the best move PKI has made with this coaster.

Surely lighter trains would only make the problem worse. Yes, they won't tear up the track as much but they will be thrown around even worse because of the already torn-up track.

A good example of this is B&M trains verses Vekoma. B&Ms stay smooth for ages because they have nice heavy trains that don't get thrown around easily and they have a track system which can take the weight. However vekoma trains are very light in comparison and so they get thrown around all over the place and they run on a track system that ages badly and is easily warped.

This would be what happened if you somehow ran a B&M train on vekoma track (which would probably buckle the track beyond regognition) and then you put the vekoma trains on it to make things 10 times worse.

This is a kind of wierd explanation but you get the idea.

This is really the lazy way out. The ride should be retracked with track that can take a beating or even better, just tear the thing down. No one likes it and with the loop gone, no one has a good reason to ride it

I will ride it with the loop gone, and I hated it with the loop, even though the loop WAS the best part. It was just too rough, and the main complaint I heard when I worked there? "Get rid of those uncomfortable TRAINS!" A lot of people don't understand exactly what is going on here, the roughness of the track can be better dealt with while in a normal lapbar, as woodies are supposed to have. Your example doesn't hold u anyway, as wooden coasters and steel coasters are completely different, as are the properties of the two materials. I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take it that way, but I have riden this ride a lot, as well as other rough woodies, that don't even come close. My only wish is that they don't put morgan trains on it.

-James Dillaman

I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair doesn't give a damn about what the public thinks, they are more concerned with getting sued more and the best way to avoid this is to fix the ride in any way possible, I think we are all assuming how bad this ride will be way to early, just wait until next year and it may turn out to be the best move PKI has made with this coaster.

It won't. People will start saying that it is the Same as the Beast, now that it has no loop. More people are interested in loops now days.

They should care anyway. They're meant to.

^ Except the layouts are completely different. Believe me, nobody will say it's the same as the Beast. The beast is through the woods, underground, through tunnels, and about half as tall. SoB is built in the valley by top gun, all helices, no trees near the track, no tunnels (unless they put one where the loop was ), and MUCH faster.

-James Dillaman

Here's some aerial shots taken on the 12th of Decmeber. As of right now, it looks as if the loop still stands.

http://photos.pkicentral.com/thumbnails.php?album=177

I was unfortunate enough to ride coaster not once.... but twice (I wasn't smart enough to figure it out the first time). For those who haven't had a chance to ride it, running head first into a wall repeatidly for 2 minutes straight is a pretty close comparison to actually being on the ride....just remember to temporarily stop at about 1:30 into your concussion for aproximately 5 seconds to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the buttery smooth loop...then continue beating yourself senseless for the remainder of the ride until you can't see straight..... Chiropractor is sold seperately.

^ Except the layouts are completely different. Believe me, nobody will say it's the same as the Beast. The beast is through the woods, underground, through tunnels, and about half as tall. SoB is built in the valley by top gun, all helices, no trees near the track, no tunnels (unless they put one where the loop was ), and MUCH faster.

-James Dillaman

I know that. It's just that i have heard people say that a vekoma Roller-Skater was the same as a Mack Wild Mouse.

I have another question. What are they going to put instead of the loop? an S Bend?