TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'm still curious as to why the changed the restraints. I'm not saying they won't deliver a good ride, but "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

One of the biggest problems with the old setup was that unless you were in the front row your view was heavily obscured by not only the restraints, but also the four supports for the chairs in the row in front of you. These new trains will now have less restraint to block your view and only two supports for each row. I'd imagine the view from all rows other than the front will be much improved with these trains. I'm excited to try them out.

^Like someone here as already mentioned, they must have felt that they should "update" them in some way given that they have been the same since 1992 even though I thought they were just fine.

It's also a slight case of hubris, that classic engineering thing (or anybody who creates, really) where the latest "development" must be used because the alternative is outdated, even if the decision is arbitrary and there wasn't really anything wrong with the old thing. We designed this new thing, therefor it must be better than our old thing, because it's the new thing, and we designed it. Kind of like what George Lucas did to the original trilogy.

Sure, you can argue these restraints will give a better ride, but you have to admit, given the number of complaints about GK's restraints and how well the old restraints have stood the test of time, they could have just kept the old restraints and nobody would've complained.

^Like someone here as already mentioned, they must have felt that they should "update" them in some way given that they have been the same since 1992 even though I thought they were just fine.

It's also a slight case of hubris, that classic engineering thing (or anybody who creates, really) where the latest "development" must be used because the alternative is outdated, even if the decision is arbitrary and there wasn't really anything wrong with the old thing. We designed this new thing, therefor it must be better than our old thing, because it's the new thing, and we designed it. Kind of like what George Lucas did to the original trilogy.

Sure, you can argue these restraints will give a better ride, but you have to admit, given the number of complaints about GK's restraints and how well the old restraints have stood the test of time, they could have just kept the old restraints and nobody would've complained.

My guess is the new restraints offer less head-banging and probably allow larger people to ride. If the trains are like the Flying Coasters, Might be for safety measures as guests can't unbuckle till the ride is over?

I'm still curious as to why the changed the restraints. I'm not saying they won't deliver a good ride, but "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The park can request whatever they want. Plain and simple.

I think people don't realize how much the park influences the coaster. Coaster companies only offer ideas and possibilities. The parks are the ones who request specifics, such as layout, track type, trains, location. The park creates the ideas, the company makes it happen. The park is the architect and the company is the engineer. If the park wants something proven for 20 years, why not? If the park wants something new and different, why not? I wouldn't say this was a decision by B&M at all, but a decision by KI.

^Sure, they'll eliminate headbanging (not that the original inverts had any anyway), but they may also staple you in so tight you can hardly breathe. We'll see.

The park said that the no one will have any restraint tightening problems and that they'd be like the new ones on Gatekeeper.

^Sure, they'll eliminate headbanging (not that the original inverts had any anyway), but they may also staple you in so tight you can hardly breathe. We'll see.

The park has said a number of times that Banshee's harnesses will not have the tightening issue that GateKeeper had early on...which also was rectified mid-season. Evidently B&M and Cedar Fair learned their lesson.

I think people don't realize how much the park influences the coaster. Coaster companies only offer ideas and possibilities. The parks are the ones who request specifics, such as layout, track type, trains, location. The park creates the ideas, the company makes it happen. The park is the architect and the company is the engineer. If the park wants something proven for 20 years, why not? If the park wants something new and different, why not? I wouldn't say this was a decision by B&M at all, but a decision by KI.

I would say you have absolutely no idea whose decision it was. You would guess KI, I would guess B&M. KI could've simply said they'd like to see the design "updated" and B&M sold them on the idea of the new restraints.

yea... I disagree... I think that B&M said "this is the train design, its full of (TPR Pun) "New Hotness" Are there any new rides that have opened recently by B&M that have the old style OTSR? I feel like the change happened a year or 2 ago and I have not seen anything new come out with old design...

I would say you have absolutely no idea whose decision it was. You would guess KI, I would guess B&M. KI could've simply said they'd like to see the design "updated" and B&M sold them on the idea of the new restraints.

Don Helbig said in an interview that B and M was the one that pushed the new restraints not Kings Island.

^That's what would make the most sense anyway, since I'm pretty sure this statement:

The park creates the ideas, the company makes it happen.

is about 80% untrue. The ride manufacturer develops a product, the park buys it. It's unlikely the new restraints were KI's idea since they're not in the business of designing roller coasters, B&M is. Why would KI ask for a certain type of train that might not even be feasible to begin with? B&M would sell them the old design if they wanted it, but it makes sense KI would opt for the next gen, something nobody else has yet.

Edited by Dr. M

Banshee looks like its track could very well be completed by the end of the month.

One reason I could see the new trains being better is that they may give more arm room. On the "old" B&M trains there is only room for one person to hold on to the OTSR handles. Just a minor nitpick, but still

The new seat arrangement is much wider than it is currently on the older B&M invert trains. There's probably a good 3-4 inches in between the seats now.

banshee.jpg.158c9d61bc92ace3338727e989169e4a.jpg

New Inverted Trains

Here's a good shot of the current trains that show there's maybe not even an inch of space between the seats. Seems like when I ride one of these, I'm always bumping elbows with the person next to me.

Unfortunately, don't think we'll see these new style of trains being retrofitted on the old B&M inverts, mainly because of clearance. Adding what could very well be a good 2 feet in width to the trains would cause a few clearances, mainly on lifts.