TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ I agree. B&M's are quite fun. I enjoyed all of the ones I ave ridden.

I think the only B&M rides that I didn't find to be at least "fun" were the old stand-up coasters (Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scorcher are two exceptions). I think they're batting .500 for me when it comes to their new Wing coasters (liked Wild Eagle, didn't care all that much for Gatekeeper).

It'll be interesting to see how Banshee turns out. I do like the color scheme and theming.

I think the only B&M rides that I didn't find to be at least "fun" were the old stand-up coasters (Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scorcher are two exceptions). I think they're batting .500 for me when it comes to their new Wing coasters (liked Wild Eagle, didn't care all that much for Gatekeeper).

It'll be interesting to see how Banshee turns out. I do like the color scheme and theming.

The only one I really disliked is Intimidator, it might have been fun if it hadn't had trim breaks on virtually every hill.

I enjoy all B&M rides... Even the new so-called "forceless" ones. Extreme forces are not that appealing to me anymore (never really have been, either).

Banshee is going to be incredible, I have no doubt about that and look forward to April.

The only one I really disliked is Intimidator, it might have been fun if it hadn't had trim breaks on virtually every hill.

It really suffers when compared to I305 at Kings Dominion; then again, the Carowinds ride does have the advantage of actually running at the moment.

Unique layout, no MCBR, I like it! The color is cool as well.

Apparently top speed isn't reached until the second half, so that's pretty cool. Should give it great pace and an intense second half!

That was my thinking....the pace will not be broken up by the MCBR. Also as far as the colors....I would imagine this is gonna look pretty sweet and stand out when viewed from up on the Eiffel Tower!

Coaster looks great!!! B&M inverts are my favorite model by them

What I don't get though is the pricing? Why did this coaster cost $24 mill dollars that seam very expensive for an older model coaster that's not even over 200 feet tall and under 5000 feet in length. Leviathan cost $28 mill and it's a Giga coaster so I can see when the $25 million and up figures are coming from those things are huge!!! but an inverted for $24 mill

Could be the new trains is what made this thing so expensive???

I think it was a fantastic addition to KI's lineup and a good fit, and although there is no way to be certain until anyone rides it, it looks as if this will be one of B&M's best inverted models in a long time. Great layout, unique and not so cookie cutter, and that drop and zero-g look epic to me. Not only that, but the marketing was brilliant. The Bat fake site was a great diversion from the leaked blueprints that turned out to be real. All in all, I think KI hit a home run with this and I hope it pays off well for them.

I'm really excited for Banshee! Inverts are my favorite B&M coaster type and it's about time that another one opens only a few hours away.

My sister is moving to the Dayton area fairly soon and this gives me a very good reason to visit her next spring!

Exactly.

Regardless of how "forceless" it is, no b&m is truly bad.

Coaster looks great!!! B&M inverts are my favorite model by them

What I don't get though is the pricing? Why did this coaster cost $24 mill dollars that seam very expensive for an older model coaster that's not even over 200 feet tall and under 5000 feet in length. Leviathan cost $28 mill and it's a Giga coaster so I can see when the $25 million and up figures are coming from those things are huge!!! but an inverted for $24 mill

Could be the new trains is what made this thing so expensive???

Here are a few factors relating to the cost, remember the $24 mil is the overall investment (meaning all the money spent on anything to do with the coaster).

-Recession (the cost of everything is rising, and steel is not cheap). And we all know coasters just keep getting even more expensive each year.

-The overall size and scale of this coaster, the next biggest thing when it comes to overall size is Alpengeist.

-The demolition of SOB.

-Coaster is built onto the terrain, just look at the support work for everything following the first V-Loop. Much Longer steel supports required due to the tricky terrain, if this coaster were to be built on a flat surface a lot less steel would be needed.

This is probably why large coasters aren't "Nemesis" when it comes to forces. Much larger track pieces and stronger(bigger) supports would be needed. So making the transitions smoother puts less stress on the track, which leads to less supports and steel needed to strengthen the ride due to excessive forces. Leading to an overall cheaper ride. Just a thought...

About the three trains, if there was room on the break run, why not just have a separate load and unload area for the coaster? That would increase capacity and you wouldn't have to sit on the break run and wait to unload. The only reason I could think for not doing this is it would require maybe one extra person to staff.

^And another station and everything involved with a station including mechanicals, pedestrian access, safety equipment, etc. And even then it's entirely possible that with how quick inverted coasters tend to load and unload that it wouldn't really even matter in terms of hourly capacity.

Kind of given B&M a bad rep...and I DO get it, their rides have become much less forceful, trimming the hypers.

The hypers made in the apparent "heyday" of B&M (1999) included trim brakes day one.

For all of the complaining that people have about B&M rides, I know one thing... I can't think of one B&M ride made since 2001 that has experienced short lines after a few years. The general public seems to eat them up, so why bother changing them?

And, for the record, I think that what B&M has done with some of the newer rides is actually really outstanding. Wing Riders give a wholly different experience than inverts for instance, giving parks a reason to have both.

^And another station and everything involved with a station including mechanicals, pedestrian access, safety equipment, etc. And even then it's entirely possible that with how quick inverted coasters tend to load and unload that it wouldn't really even matter in terms of hourly capacity.

Without going super dork here, the way that the ride is paced means that adding a second station if the crew is good should gain them nothing. The ride is timed so that the lift and the course take the same basic amount of time, and comparing it to earlier B&M inverts, this will actually have a longer load / unload time then your average Batman clone or Raptor. Theoretical capacity should be around 1500 / hour. A second station would be a complete waste.

^ It depends on *which* Batman clone you're talking about, as well as if it is theoretical or actual.

Real world, I'd say that the Batman clones can probably chew through 1,000ish people an hour with a motivated crew and the right circumstances. I'm guessing that Banshee real world will probably be closer to 1,200ish, but understand that is based on pure speculation right now until the ride is built and we see what the actual thing runs like.

I am really curious to see how the new trains work out for them. I have not yet been on a Wing Rider yet, so I can't give my own personal testimony to how they are. Granted I also do not know how exactly these compare in size to the older trains, I still would be really curious to see if any of the parks with B&M inverts (especially Cedar Fair Parks) would go ahead and replace the older trains with this newer train. It doesn't look like the new trains are a huge difference in length and width from the old ones, so it wouldn't be like trying to swap Apollo's trains for ones like Behemoth or Intimidator. As for the ride itself, It will be interesting to see how the elevation change effects the speed of the ride.

With regards to the comments regarding how B&M coasters have been over the past decade, I think it is safe to say that we all have different opinions about what makes a ride good, and what makes a ride great.

For those who feel like some people are bashing B&M too much, I believe we can all agree that B&M has not made their rides as intense as their older ones. It is also true that many of their coasters have had some, if not many, similar features. I also don't think most people who are critical of B&M's practices are saying they hate their rides, but simply that the ride doesn't do what they would like it to do.

For those who feel like some give B&M too much credit, I think we can also agree that B&M rides, while maybe not as innovative or as extreme as others, are still fun rides. Features may be similar, but in many cases there is still something that sticks out about a lot of their rides. For me, I feel like the surrounding area can add/takeaway from a ride as much as the actual layout of the ride itself. If you took a ride like Nemesis, and built it with the exact same layout as it is, but on top of a flat piece of land, yes it could still be very forceful, but the ride would loose a little bit of the experience without the close proximity to the ground/trenches. Sometimes the flatness can add to the experience, such as with many hyper coasters since it can add to the feeling of how high up you are.

In all honesty, I don't see what is wrong with people saying how they think a ride will be if they can support why they think it will be that way. I also don't see anything wrong with sharing their opinion, even if it is in disagreement with that of another poster here.

A news report from yesterday stated that Banshee can move 1400 people an hour. That's a real people eater! B&M was a no brainer for KI. The Diamondback is NEVER down. (I bet its uptime is over 99%) KI needed a home run with this one. Not a Bat that fails in 3 years or SOB that injures people and was terrible. They needed a beautiful looking, inverted coaster that eats people and has a tremendous uptime. They just purchased one for 24 million. I am excited for 2014 media day!