TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^Same here--always rather liked Roar, although Wild One is the best coaster in the park.

Interesting. Personally, I've never been able to marathon Wild One, but rode Roar 12 times in a row without getting off on one early-season afternoon. But, with that said, to each his own, right?

^There's an ACE off-season construction tour coming up in a few weeks. I have to wonder if they have briefly stopped making updates to drive interest in the event (as showing off an update just before the event would probably at least slightly drop interest in the event). The last update was at the beginning of the month and at that time it looked like most of the footers were done. It's been pretty mild since then so I would image at least a decent amount of the steel work has been started by now.

Has SFA released an estimated opening day for Apocalypse yet? I'd imagine Memorial Day weekend, but they seem so far behind...?

They still have this on their website:

Be One of the First to Ride

The Apocalypse is slated to begin at Six Flags America on Friday, May 25, 2012 with a grand opening observance in the morning as the park opens and a thrilling display of fire in the sky that evening. Season Pass holders will be invited to be amongst the first to brave the ride in a two-day preview event on Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20.

http://www.sixflags.com/america/rides/apocalypse.aspx

Has SFA released an estimated opening day for Apocalypse yet? I'd imagine Memorial Day weekend, but they seem so far behind...?

They don't seem behind to me... all of the footers are down and there won't be any kind of special tall crane needed like leviathan, they aren't any ponds to worry about flooding like hershey, just like x-flight flew up I imagine that by mid-march this will be up if not almost. Giving them all apr/may to do testing/landscaping/etc.... They already have the trains so I mean they have plenty of time.

They don't seem behind to me... all of the footers are down and there won't be any kind of special tall crane needed like leviathan, they aren't any ponds to worry about flooding like hershey, just like x-flight flew up I imagine that by mid-march this will be up if not almost. Giving them all apr/may to do testing/landscaping/etc.... They already have the trains so I mean they have plenty of time.

That & it's a relatively compact layout so it's basically the same schedule they're going on as when they built Batwing,of course Batwing was plauged with technical problems that delayed testing & opening for a good two months or so but this will be different.

Six Flags America has started to post photos of Apocalypse construction on their Facebook page. As of yesterday, it looks like they have from the station to the bottom of the lift completed. Vertical construction started last Tuesday, so this much up in four days isn't too shabby. Hopefully we'll see the lift complete by next weekend.

Six Flags America's FaceBook Page

477594_10150569470855995_40616650994_9260901_946124530_o.jpg.a09c9367c8203866a9ad279d3815b2c1.jpg

Apocalypse at Six Flags America as of Friday March 2nd

It will be weird seeing Iron Wolf here. As I've seen it at SF Great America my whole life, and then seeing it here, strange indeed. But I have to admit, the color scheme is a lot better. Hopefully, they were able to fix the restraints to get the ride smoother.

The restraints are the same,other than color that was used at SFGRAM & other than repainting the trains & perhaps replacing wheels nothing about them has really changed.I know that when I rode vortex at carowinds the headbanging was pretty bad compared to shockwave at KD...and we all know how that one is.

Looks like they went with a dark red color (like raging bull support color) instead of black... and it compliments the orange very well. Love the colors

Looks like the original IW color on the supports to me...before it became faded of course.

I wonder why on earth SFGRAM chose to paint the ride all one color when it debutted in 90? Then again BTR was also one color as well so who knows?

^I never even realized that about B:TR. Guess I had no reason to look at early pics. I don't believe that completely registered with me on Iron Wolf, either. I kinda liked how Wolf had that rusty-looking color scheme; almost seemed a bit nature-like to me. I really like the new Apocalypse colors, though!

Is it bad that for a split second I thought that picture was taken in front of American Eagle?

Yeah,you can see WO'sapproach to the helix in the backgroundwith the station being hidden by the foodstand in the righthand corner of the screenso when the scenestarts she appears to be facing toward TOD.

As for the supports I kinda think they'll hold off on painting them till after construction is finished or maybe just leave them red to fit the doomsday theme of the ride.