TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I was actually impressed by the park. So much better than I had been led to believe. Employees were friendly and interacting with guests, rides were all open even though the park was dead, and Jokers Jinx and Wild One were running really well. Wild One may have been the smoothest wooden coaster I've ever been on (besides El Toro). Too bad I can't say that about all the rides though. Superman, Mind Eraser, and Roar tracked HORRIBLY......

^I've always thought that Wild One was the best ride there, and Joker's Jinx can be good, too. I've had good visits to SFA in the past, but it's been a few years since I ventured back there.

I know a couple of you had questioned the color of the supports. The below picture from SFAFans taken yesterday seems to confirm that the park was just waiting to get the trackwork completed before painting the supports. All of the supports have started to be painted black as seen below. More pictures from SFAFans which show the completed transfer tracks, foundation work on the station, as well as some of the initial work for the computer room can be seen via the below link:

http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php/6587-Six-Flags-America-prepares-for-Apocalypse-in-2012!-Mayhem-comes-to-Maryland!?p=35373#post35373

465100_10150703403674854_310053629853_9019916_279732014_o.jpg.6f29925fdd514ef3f21e3981665d9ea8.jpg

^ By looking at that photo, it looks like that Apocalypse - The Last Stand is turing out to be one sexy coaster. I cannot wait to ride it. Plus, I'm sure the skull-faced mountain helps add to the theming.

As for the coaster credits arguement, I personally don't care about collecting credits, just the knowledge and fact that I actually got to ride a particular type of coaster, regardless what the coaster was before and where it came from. I'm sure that Six Flags America is happy that they're getting this "renewed" coaster and it's not going to that scrap heap in the sky. Here's to the next step in the process to get Six Flags America back to where it needs to be ( here's a hint: how about a few more flat rides next season?).

"Aren't you off yet? I miss you in bed."

^ By looking at that photo, it looks like that Apocalypse - The Last Stand is turing out to be one sexy coaster. I cannot wait to ride it. Plus, I'm sure the skull-faced mountain helps add to the theming.

As for the coaster credits arguement, I personally don't care about collecting credits, just the knowledge and fact that I actually got to ride a particular type of coaster, regardless what the coaster was before and where it came from. I'm sure that Six Flags America is happy that they're getting this "renewed" coaster and it's not going to that scrap heap in the sky. Here's to the next step in the process to get Six Flags America back to where it needs to be ( here's a hint: how about a few more flat rides next season?).

"Aren't you off yet? I miss you in bed."

I could easily see a SkyScreamer being added to the park... Or an AirRace ride like the one that just opened at Lagoon. The park has plenty of ride pads with original queue houses intact that six flags could just plop a new flat on with little to no trouble.

Also I have a question..... Is it the transitions on this particular B&M that make slamming your head into the harness inevitable or is it just that trains themselves? What if B&M would make a new restraint that would be similar to the wing coaster restrains and flying coaster restraints with vest padded OTSR... would that solve the problem?

I think the problem lies mostly in the fact that it will not be running the most up-to-date trains available, and will instead be using the original trains. If they really wanted to do this thing right, they would get some new trains from B&M, which would hopefully get it running much better. However, we've seen SFA's problem with getting the right trains on their rides (*cough Roar cough*).

I think the problem lies mostly in the fact that it will not be running the most up-to-date trains available, and will instead be using the original trains. If they really wanted to do this thing right, they would get some new trains from B&M, which would hopefully get it running much better. However, we've seen SFA's problem with getting the right trains on their rides (*cough Roar cough*).

I could see a 200ft. windseeker being added in the future to cash in on this new ride concept,as for using the vest restraint on apacolypse I don't think it's possible due to the riding postion coupled with the flexibility of the vest vs. the rigid harness....with all due respect one can't fault the park for using PTC's on Roar,those were the only wooden coaster trains available at the time of it's design & construction.

with all due respect one can't fault the park for using PTC's on Roar,those were the only wooden coaster trains available at the time of it's design & construction.

But that's true for all the older GCI rides that have been retrofitted with Millennium Flyer trains. But new trains cost money, and I rather like Roar even with the old trains (but I haven't ridden it in a few years).

with all due respect one can't fault the park for using PTC's on Roar,those were the only wooden coaster trains available at the time of it's design & construction.

But that's true for all the older GCI rides that have been retrofitted with Millennium Flyer trains. But new trains cost money, and I rather like Roar even with the old trains (but I haven't ridden it in a few years).

I just rode it on Monday and believe me, it hurts. A lot. It wasn't so bad when I visited a few years ago, but it has gone downhill quickly (no pun intended). It's never good to look at the onride photo and see yourself wincing in pain... Having ridden Wildcat at HP both before and after the retrofitting, I think that it would drastically improve Roar. Now that we finally got a new coaster, Millenium Flyers for Roar is the top of my list for SFA improvements for 2013.

Hey guys. Visited the park last weekend. Only took a few photos because I was distracted by my friends most of the time. Anyway, I figured I'd post them here just for the heck of it.

On Saturday, the park was running really good, and every ride was working except for High Seas. On Sunday, High Seas and Superman were shut down the whole day. All the CMs were really nice and friendly. Park was clean and looked brand new!

IMG_2238.thumb.JPG.2ebfe0e59a35ec12ba78ebadcac39216.JPG

nice view of Gotham City

IMG_2275.thumb.JPG.702f700b4c8764e4c861bc3be89f093a.JPG

Pirate's Flight in Skull Island

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.17c9dfd84423e2f1f67c782bf10f4ef5.JPG

"Why So Serious?!?! Oh it's a funeral? We can be serious then...."

IMG_2272.thumb.JPG.6b80b75f263e09609af55d05e2307e11.JPG

Apocalypse peeking out behind Wild One

IMG_2271.thumb.JPG.489d98606d91d4d653fbea9a674c8d99.JPG

Because Batman is known for his chicken strips...

IMG_2322.thumb.JPG.ca7f973f4fe88a3769d13b431b61b98a.JPG

Mirror Mirror On the Wall, Who's the coolest coaster of them all?"

IMG_2234.thumb.JPG.f04b6f213a93150e9806146885935d8e.JPG

Old Stunt Arena/Converted Concert Venue

IMG_2235.thumb.JPG.241ddbc208b47c872c514806a363ab38.JPG

Wild One & Tower of Doom

^Batman sliced it off with with his Batarang.

Chuck, don't give Six Flags any new ideas for Batman rides. This could be the name of a Batman themed Vekoma Boomerang/Invertigo. Actually I like boomerangs.

The park looks good in those photos. I'm hoping to hit it for the first time this year even though I probably won't fit on Superman.

^ LMAO!!

I am quite pleased that this park seems to have "turned the corner" from it's less stellar days. I remember a lot of the Six Flags parks went through a phase at one point or another where they just plain went downhill.

I'm wondering if the old Iron Wolf trains will have been rehabbed for the re-installation. There is a good chance they might track much better after a complete tear-down / rebuild.

I'll agree - the coaster looks great! Much improved over the kind of rusty, dull metal theme it had going on as Iron Wolf.

David

^ LMAO!!

I am quite pleased that this park seems to have "turned the corner" from it's less stellar days. I remember a lot of the Six Flags parks went through a phase at one point or another where they just plain went downhill.

I'm wondering if the old Iron Wolf trains will have been rehabbed for the re-installation. There is a good chance they might track much better after a complete tear-down / rebuild.

I'll agree - the coaster looks great! Much improved over the kind of rusty, dull metal theme it had going on as Iron Wolf.

David

I hope they changed the trains on the old Iron Wolf cuz when it was at sfga it was not a smooth ride to ride

Theming for Apocalypse 'revealed'...

http://content.sixflags.com/news/america/les-hudson?ic=I0138781B&gc=G00002813543D68&utm_source=park-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SFA&utm_content=2012-04-25

"This year’s new coaster at Six Flags America, Apocalypse, reflects the magic touch of Les and his team. “The theme needed to be edgy to match the intensity of the ride experience,” he says. To reinforce this theme, “radioactive” paint and several crashed planes, including one colliding with the 70-foot rock-face backdrop, are essential elements. In addition, fire explosions and mist fog create an apocalyptic landscape."

Very excited SFA seems to be stepping up with high quality theming/park design for Apocalypse! Though a rumor is swirling the opening will be delayed a few weeks.