TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting stuck on a ride!

Ok... someone asked about being a guinea pig, being first on a ride that has just reopened after repairs. Here's the other side to that ?-anyone ever been stuck on a coaster or other ride? When I worked in the Info Center at PKI, their communication code for a broken down ride was 2-9. If you heard "2-9 with" you knew the ride was broken down with riders aboard, and prayed that they got them off quickly before the media caught wind.

Shari "that would freak me out" Shoufler

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got stuck on Spaceship Earth a couple of weeks ago, and after several attempts to restart the ride unsucessfully and 20 minutes of listening to the same crappy recording, they finally decided to walk us down.

DSCF5127.jpg.cd8e10a115669220e4251e4114c37ed9.jpg

It's a long walk down the ramp...

DSCF5128.jpg.dee9274aea6004f73485d5143b72612a.jpg

...past cheesy scenery made worse under flourescent lights...

DSCF5135.jpg.820f2342f6e89f0620c6fee532d45b6b.jpg

...(it's a really long walk!)...

DSCF5137.jpg.f6b94ecbf01368564a51207361a028ea.jpg

...with views of the sloppy workmanship too!

I have been on Superman Ride of Steel like 3 times when its broken down. I have also been on Big Bad Wolf on the second lift hill for like 15-20 munutes. Dont know what happend, but it was a long wait... But really, those are really the only ones worth noting. (I think i was on Kraken when it broke down, but i could be imagining that... :dork:

Rob

Well... I haven't been actually "stuck" on a ride, but i've been on them when they messed up.

When i was about 6-7 years old i was on one of those bumble-bee rides, everything was going great, then oil just started spraying all over people.

The excact same thing happened on the Baloon ride at carowinds in 1996 -1998 (can't remember which year), but lucky for me i was jsut standing in line.

Another time i was on this ride called "Hurricane" (I don't know the ride type)and the ride started moving,then my lap bar unlocked and went all the way up, even though it's litteraly impossible to fall out of one of those rides unless your standing up, I was still scared as hell(i think i was about 8 or 9 when that happened.

And i was also on an octopus ride about a year or two ago and it messed up and all the ride-op was doing was making the cars go down, then back up, then nothign woudl happen, and it would keep repeating like that.

Other than those I've only been in-line when a ride got stuck/ broke down.

LOL!!! Those pics are AWESOME!!!!

On a side note, they're a little big, but that's ok for this time, next time try to keep them under 150k.

But if you have any more of those pics, please post them!!!!

--Robb

Oops, sorry about that! I resized them (I thought) small enough..I'll make them smaller next time.

Nothing beats getting stuck on It's A Small world. At least they turned off the audio after a few minutes, but it's weird seeing the animatronics move but with no sound, not that I'm complaining or anything. We were in "Hawaii" so we saw them hula like there was no tomorrow! They eventually had to evac us. It was fun, but not really.

I have been stoped/stuck on lots of rides many many times... The last ride I was stuck on in 2004 was SROS at SFNE... at 1145pm (ERT ) As we were going up the lift.. it just stopped.. it seems to do it a few times a day... but it was still fun.

Also in 2004 I was stuck on a powersurge ride.. thats fun stuff..... Hangging down at the ground with the "arm" up just hangging in the OTSR for 20mins before the let the air go... and the arm sank down slowly...

Most of the times I've been "stuck" it's been while we were at the breaks. Superman @ SFA we just stopped at the breaks while one train stopped on the hill. This also happened on Jokers Jinx right after the last corkscrew we just stopped...quite painful. I don't know what that was about.

Only time I've been stopped on a hill was Shockwave @ PKD. For about 5-10 minutes nothing serious kinda weird though.

Cool photos of spaceship earth. i have been stuck on that thing many times, but never evacuated. Longest was maybe 10 minutes or so.

My biggest goal the whole time I lived in Florida was to get stuck at the top of the lifthill in Space Mountain. That way, you could ride the entire course with the lights on, while also being the only car on the track. I came really close one time (broke down as we were strapped in waiting to procede to the tunnel), but I never actually acheived my goal. I did get stuck however on the TTA inside the mountain with the lights on, and got a couple nifty shots.

space2.jpg.16bb1f7115c746bbdfbb50df92d81c62.jpg

space1.jpg.2ab962c4cfadb70569d1bdf2bdfc92cd.jpg

space5.jpg.0cb37648246b0b1223b245d6ecc4d3b0.jpg

space4.jpg.d0fa8ab11f9f6747291031dd17a85a43.jpg

space3.jpg.1b712942222b22caf78bbda8039622eb.jpg

Me and my partner where on Valhalla at PBB when it just stopped. Seems to happen quite often, something just trips apparantly.

Quite cool really, sat in dark for a couple of minutes and then all the lights came on and a rather embarrased looking ride op had to walk past us to restart what ever had tripped.

On good thing aboutthis as we got to go through the next area in the light and saw that a large section of the effects weren't on.

I have also been on PMBO when it stopped on the lift hill at the top. We were walked down after about 10 mins. Damn fine view if a little cool.

I was stuck in the heat in Medusa West's brake run for 10 minutes. Each time, the train kept inching forward and stopping. Finally, it pulled into the station but the front train stuck out past the gates. We were not lined up with the retractable floors, so I was hoping for them to dispatch the train. Suddenly, I fell a jolt and we start going reverse...that sucked...no re-ride. We were given a free fast pass due to the ride malfunction.

I had to be evacuated from Mean Streak from the Mid Course. My sister was going to try and get pictures (however I got video from the MidCourse, haha) since the Dragster Engines sat under it, but the stupid supervisors got all agitated when they saw her trying.

I also got stranded at like the 250ft point on Millennium for about 10 minutes, that rocked. Funniest thing about that was the train before us got stuck too. Jokingly as we boarded I told my girlfriend "Hey, wouldnt that be funny if we got stuck?" Needless to say when we stopped, I got "The look". hahaha.

Oh!! We got stuck on Spiderman at IOA the FIRST time we were on it. Talk about a crappy way to see that ride! That sucked, wish I had a camera too.

Well, from all the E-stops / blocking goofs Ive seen on MF, theres one default point where it stops if the computer stops it automatically (not a user controlled e-stop).

It stops the train something like 3/4th the way up every time, in the same spot. So say something goofs up with the blocking and the computer locks down, the train will ascend to that point, but stop there. Its just enough room to allow the train to speed up to its speed at the crest so it has enough to complete the circuit.

My cusoins and me went to PGA and we went on Rip Roaring Rapids (a Tire ride) and the very end you go up this hill and on the way up the hill the ride stops. We were on there for way to long! WE managed to sing 99 bottles of beer on the wall at a normal speed. And the sucky thing was that it was 100 degrees out and there were steps a few inch. Away from our tube! WE asked them why we couldn’t just go up the stairs (that’s why they are there) and they said it’s to dangerous. But when we finally got off they said “Would u guys like to go on free without waiting in line” WHY WOULD WE WANT TO lackeye: I mean they wouldn’t even let us off the EMERGANCY stairs! So that’s my story bout when I got stuck on a ride.

This past summer, while @ Geauga Lake for the first time, I hit up Dominator, and then ran (well, walked) over to Sup...err...Steel Venom for a first ride. Having just rode Wicked Twister the day before, I was excited to ride an Impulse with a holding brake. So we launched up, I was in the front by myself, then we came back and launched up the back spike.

Again up the twisty spike, and then up the back spike. But something was kinda weird. We hit the Mag Brake to hold us there, and it was like it cought, and then released. I just thought "it seemed like it held you longer when I was watching from the ground..."

So we coast back thru the station for another trip up the twisty spike...and stop. I was in the front, and the only person that was just past the concrete walkway, so I had quite a ways to the ground. The ride ops yelled and asked if everyone was okay, and told us it'd be a few min. After about 6 or 8 min. we started moving back. Don't know if it was an E-stop, or what, but it was kinda weird. Rode it 2 more times that day without problems.

• 2 years later...

God, yes, I have! When I was maybe 6 years old, my family and went to WDW, which was close wince we were in Tampa at the time. It was cool, especially for a trouble child like me. Then my dad decided, after nearly losing his lunch on the Matterhorn (sigh), that we should chill out and go on "It's a Small World."

Needless to say, the ride broke down as we were in the Pirates of the Caribbean part of the ride..for over 2 hours! It was years before I would go on a dark ride.

Part Two: After high school, I interned for a summer at WDW ( this was summer 1985). I was more into EPCOT than the Mouse, but when you can cruise WDW on your day off without paying admission, why complain? I rode all the required things (Space Mountain, Matterhorn, etc.) and then a friend said "come on..Small World is open." Against better judgement, I said okay. It broke down in the pirate section..AGAIN for about 2 hours, but this time, I walked out, park ejection or no park ejection.

Years later, my son and daughter won a trip to WDW and asked me what to do there. I said "go to EPCOT, go to the Mouse, but if you go on Small World and it gets stuck, dont say you werent warned!"