TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

My hopes: There haven't been any Intamin hypers in a while, and with the "hog wild" direction the firm has been going, I could see something amazing happening here. After all, if there's any park with an amazing recent history with Intamin, it's hershey.

My wife and I are planning Halloween weekend at Hershey. What should one expect as afar as crowds at the park Saturday. I know they are only calling for highs in the upper 50's and lows in the mid 30's. That has me concerned for after dark rides because of the temperature issue. Has anyone been yet this season for the HPITD and if so how was wait times for the coasters?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Saturday should be busy, but I wouldn't expect waits to be above 1/2 hour or even 45 minutes since it won't be too much of a warm day. As for temperatures and the rides, pretty much all the non-coasters would stay open. The coasters close when the temperatures drop below around 40 degrees, but I'm sure it varries from ride-to-ride.

Sundays shouldn't be much of a problem.

I was there the first Sunday this year, it was empty. Longest wait was Fahrenheit at 15 minutes, everything else was 0 - 10 minutes. Even Storm Runner was only a 1 train wait. I was surprised since it was around 70 degrees and sunny, perfect weather for October. Someone one another side said last Saturday was very crowded. I also went on the last Sunday in 2005 (October 30th) and it was empty then too with 0 - 10 minutes waits.

Ccron10 and I were also there the first Sunday (Keystone Thrills meet-up) and like YoshiFan mentioned, it wasn't busy at all. The longest we waited was for Fahrenheit the first time, mainly due to them switching another train onto the track. Saturdays are a different story. I've done it twice (05 and 07) and both times it was pretty crowded. I know I think I waited at least 40 min for Comet in 07 when I went. Sundays are usually pretty dead.

Read my PTR from when Ccron10 and I went this year.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57172

Also, could you throw in a comment or two? I didn't go through the hassle for nothing....

What about SDL?? I heard somewhere that this may be the last year for it. I wanna get a few rides in just in case.

If Sooperdooperlooper is going to be removed, we would've heard something about it and if they took it out and added this supposed new coaster, the count would remain at 11 (which doesn't seem like what might happen according to what the marketing is showing as far as RIT goes).

The park is also selling a lot of the retro SDL shirts as well.

What about SDL?? I heard somewhere that this may be the last year for it. I wanna get a few rides in just in case.

If Sooperdooperlooper is going to be removed, we would've heard something about it and if they took it out and added this supposed new coaster, the count would remain at 11 (which doesn't seem like what might happen according to what the marketing is showing as far as RIT goes).

That is good. I actually rank this one as probably my favorite coaster at HP. It is the simplicity of it and the fact that that lap bars are so hard to come by anymore with inversions, and yet it has a seemingly low height requirement that allows most kids to get it as one of their first rides.

We don't know that the 12 definitely means 12 coasters. It could refer to the year 2012. Fact is, we don't know whats happening yet.

We don't know that the 12 definitely means 12 coasters. It could refer to the year 2012. Fact is, we don't know whats happening yet.

Might doesn't mean will. Just trying to clarify it. But from going to the park a week and a half ago, I found no evidence to show that it's leaving the park just yet. But that doesn't mean that there won't be a chance for it to be removed in 2011 though.

SDL is a great and unique ride. It's kinda like the Comet now. They'll never tear that down, and if the do, I can only imagine the backlash they would get.

Loop on SuperDooperBooper!

Yeah, I love the ride too. It's just fun all-around. On a side note, this past Sunday when I went, some kid (like 5 years old) was wearing a SDL costume! It was the lead car and he had OTSRs to hold up the costume.

Just got back from the weekend trip and it was great. Friday night was kinda dead and all coasters were pretty much walk on except FEARenheit , which stopped with the first car starting up the lift, never reopened until Saturday. Saturday was a different story though. The place was typical Hershey packed, but the coasters were all short waits with the Comet and FEARenheit being the worst. Everything was running max trains with the exception of FH, Wildcat, and Trailblazer. Even Lightning Racer was running all 4. They definitely to find a way to feed guests all the way around instead of getting back to Midway America only to find you have to backtrack to get out. All in all a great time with the exception of the somewhat frigid temps after the sun went down, I can only imagine a coaster ride in the winter LMAO!!!!!

The MIdway America dead end probably won't be solved anytime soon; it is a by-product of the placement of the Boardwalk, and is only really present when the Boardwalk has closed for the season. They aren't left with a practical option to route a path back toward the rest of the park.

For what it's worth, I do not see it as much worse that the dead end in Italy at BGW.

It wouldn't be a big issue if they moved the main gate or created a second gate where the employee entrance is presently located, though.

^Not the section of Italy that's across the bridge where Apollo is, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, just got home from Hershey - I love that place so much, I chose it to be my last park of the season! Crowds were about nonexistent, and thankfully the kids there for the Atlantic marching band competition were all occupied outside the park and in Chocolate World and never came in, as far as we could tell. Hooray for three rides on Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, and Great Bear, 1-2 on everything else, and for the kid who threw up on the Claw being at the bottom instead of at the top where it would have hit everyone!

I'm pretty thrilled that I ended my season on Intamins - S:ROS, I305, El Toro, and Storm Runner