TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know how tall the first airtime hill is?

This coaster is looking fantastic, hopefully it'll be completed tomorrow and testing will begin soon.

The first one is 80 feet, and the second is 60 feet.

Oh my god, that section beginning at the Stengel Dive up to the straight bunny hop is turning out to look incredible.

Did we ever figure out where the Comet queue is going?

Not a friggin clue. Worse comes to worst, we'll know two weeks from tomorrow.

i was down at the site for about an hour today. obviously, the last piece of track is in. looks like they finished all of the stone work for the creek walls today (on both sides). they were doing a lot of work on the walking path. seeing people on it made me realize it's a bit wider than it appears, but it's still maybe only about 4 people wide--5 at the most. additionally, they look to be aggressively finishing the concrete "caps" to all of the footers.

outside of skyrush work, there was all kinds of other things going on. they were running/testing both the comet and the fahrenheit and there was a guy up on top of the great bear's first loop doing welding work. very busy there today! i can't wait for springtime in the park. i really want to get in there and check out comet hollow and see how everything is coming together!

^That could be it as well as possible differences in labor costs between regions. It could also just be a difference in how the costs were calculated. I305 may have been just for the ride and Skyrush could be for everything involved including dealing with the creek, the new pathway, etc. Advertising might even be included for all we know. Chances are its a whole combination of things that isn't an exact 1:1 comparison of costs.

As for the ride, I can't wait to see this start testing. A trip to Hershey is a possibility for me this year and I would love to be able to ride what looks to be an incredible ride.

I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger?

I would imagine that the terrain is a major factor in the cost. i305 was built on a flat field, whereas Skyrush construction involved rerouting a river, reconstructing the river bed, building new retaining walls, moving several rides and facilities, and reconstructing parts of the Comet's queue. They also had to work around existing midways and rides, conduct all sorts of engineering and environmental studies related to changing the river, and build structures designed to withstand regular flooding. Not to mention the engineering costs associated with the new trains and new track gauge.

^ And don't forget: they also had to move the Tilt-a-Whirl ride to another place inside the park so that area can be used as the entrance for SKYRUSH.

Isn't it amazing how the rides in this area of the park seem to dance around each other.

So here's my dance:

"Done dancing yet? Please come to bed."

I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger?

Hersheypark does not pay Intamin $25 million dollars, just as Kings Dominion did not pay Intamin $25 million for I-305. I would estimate that the actual price tag from Intamin for Skyrush is under $10 million. There are significant costs associated with Skyrush apart from design and steel.

Under normal circumstances with a steel coaster, you typically can divide the total cost in half to get the actual cost of the ride from the manufacturer.

Excavation (very significant with Skyrush), shipping, physical construction, added electrical, station construction, hardscaping, landscaping, air gates, etc., are all added costs factored into the total price of the ride.

Edited by Magnum PA

I'd have to agree that the landscaping and such would cost more than the ride itself. Hersheypark has been doing so much more than just plopping a ride on nearly-flat ground like Kings Dominion did with Intimidator 305.