TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^Comparing Vekoma flyers to B&M aren't the fairest comparison. I tend to like both, but you can't compare the two or prefer one over the other. It's like comparing an Invert to an SLC, the same by design but different by experience. The pretzel loop inversion is one of the best out there, but every other element on a flyer is pretty much a standard B&M manuver.

I agree that the theming around the ride will have a lot to do with the ride experience, but that still won't make up for seemingly run-of-the-mill layout. Granted, I have yet to ride a B&M flyer (only KI's Firehawk), but this doesn't seem all that impressive layout-wise. The lake dip will indeed make the finale extremely unique - I just hope the rest of the ride delivers similarly.

One thing I didn't notice until I saw the overview shots is just how cramped and crowded the construction site is. The fact that the crew is able to work around all the wall, holes, etc. to get the ride up is very impressive.

I think the biggest thing that still bothers me is the inclusion of the MCBR. It just seems extremely pointless on a ride that is so short and compact, especially when it (1) has two loading stations, and (2) is a flying coaster. If the brakes don't slow it down at all (or very little), what the hell is the point?!? And if it's being used to control the speed and splash size during the finale, I still hold that they could've gotten the same effect with simple trims. Personally, I would like to have seen another element in place of the brakes - like a zero-g roll, with the trims placed on the down slope from the inversion (if needed).

It looks like a fun ride. I predict however, that this ride will steal absolutely no thunder from Tatsu.

I agree completely. Although, Tatsu has the advantage of being custom made to fit the hill it sits on. And the fact that it saves the preztel loop, which is the best part of any B&M Flyer, until the last part of the ride kinda helps...literally saving the best for last.

Manta certainly looks like a very fun ride, and something SeaWorld actually may have been needing.

A mid course does seem pointless seeing how this ride is shorter than Tatsu.

Its possible it could give them more capacity even with 3 trains. However, it seems like the boost would be pretty small.

Guess im gonna have to go down to SFMM to ride tatsu again, it will remain the king of flyers

Looks like an awesome layout! They need to get a new person to draw that out though....

Now that I see the entire lift and first drop is complete, the construction area appears much larger than I originally thought it was.

I think I am going to love this coaster, because I prefer a coaster that is very smooth, and offers disorienting sensations and airtime, rather than a coaster that has tons of positive G force on every inversion that kills the sensation of being upside down. I do enjoy g force in helixes and other inversions designed to do nothing but create that force, so the pretzel loop should be awesome, particularly the part where you're diving headfirst to the ground.

Before the entire lift was constructed the coaster didn't look like it was going to be very high at all based on the highest support. But now that it's completed finally it looks like a good size ride.

^Between the sound requirements for neighboring communities and the desire to not have the coasters disturb the in-park animals, I would assume that Manta will be a quiet coaster. I'm not sure about what specifically would be done, but some more recent B&Ms (like Led Zeppelin) have had their track spines filled with sand to decrease the sound output of the coaster.

Regardless of the method, I think it is safe to say that the coaster will not be any louder than a typical flying coaster that is already in operation, with any modification only going towards plussing the ride itself (in all aspects).

oddly, I was going to ask what the noise impact might be on the parks' residence!

I think with Kraken they filled the spine with sand to dampen the sound, so I would imagine they would do the same.

I also think they did the same with the B&M Flyer 'Air' at Alton Towers (very strict sound level regulations there).

Makes you wonder if it's enough though - from the looks of things, it will go right past the dolphin stadium, so even if it doesn't disturb the animals, it could even disturb the shows.

Edit: Seems senna beat to the point about Kraken!

Well, it's not shorter than S:UF - it's 3,359' long and S:UF is around 2700' feet. Tatsu, for reference, is 3,602 feet which (as Todd said earlier) is less than 300' longer than this. You can't judge length based on a 2D layout. It's the same thing that happened this summer when everyone saw Diamondback's layout and thought it was going to be short and then it turns out that it's 5,000' long.

Also, Manta will actually have a larger first drop than Tatsu (111' vs 114'), so I'm not planning on this being tame by any means.

Another thing is I'm pretty sure B&M doesn't fill their track's box beam with sand. There are a lot lighter weighing and better solutions than sand out there. I'm pretty sure they use some kind of dampening foam that helps with vibrations and acoustics. Maybe they use sand in the supports, I'm not sure, but to fill a box beam with sand seems pretty archaic for a company that doesn't seem to cut corners anywhere else.

Well, it's not shorter than S:UF - it's 3,359' long and S:UF is around 2700' feet. Tatsu, for reference, is 3,602 feet which (as Todd said earlier) is less than 300' longer than this. You can't judge length based on a 2D layout.

Which is what I did. My bad.