TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

As I'm heading out on a week-long extravaganza to the Midwest tomorrow, followed by a 3-week long stay in the Twin Cities, I decided to head out to SeaWorld for one more update today. This might be the last time I get out to the park for an update before the ride Soft Opens, and by then, everyone else will be getting all the good stuff.

Anyway, work on the splashdown continues, and it appears as if they are painting the concrete blue. There is now a huge, purple "object" stationed behind the waterfall that looks to be half of a stingray, and is ready to be hoisted into position...Somewhere. A lot more trees have been shipped in and now cover the entrance area immensely.

Work on the half-circle "portal" at the entrance continues, and now with all of the foliage in, it is very difficult to see what work is happening on the exterior of the station. The ride continues excessive testing with employees, and reviews I have overheard thus far are extremely, extremely positive.

I most likely won't have another update until it has soft opened, so enjoy! It's been fun keeping everyone up to date!

IMG_0872copy.jpg.a4c24dc745ae02ef18be8ca39e39fc3a.jpg

And finally, a group of lucky riders.

IMG_0897copy.jpg.72570ec21933979d5f1272bd06d52f3b.jpg

Overall view of the progress. I got TERRIBLE timing on my SkyTower ride, unfortunately.

IMG_0894copy.jpg.b2e8fbcd5270eee69b0c4e147eaf54b4.jpg

Second-half

IMG_0876copy.jpg.fc7babcf7292e045f9b4ba77166f1720.jpg

Diving into the pretzel loop

IMG_0854copy.jpg.cb1e08ae37cfabf6f47446758bece514.jpg

Overall view...Note all of the new trees

IMG_0852copy.jpg.7bd4589cab282d560741f7658750493a.jpg

Near the entrance to the ride, and what looks to be the on-ride photo booth...Or gift shop?

IMG_0850copy.jpg.64c457f0ec09140b8cd8163a664a032a.jpg

New pathway under construction. Don't want to say too much, but there will be plenty of options on how to access this ride.

IMG_0848copy.jpg.383e3cc2a3309d5c4a586a34c7819c52.jpg

Foliage makes it very hard to see the theme work going on

IMG_0842copy.jpg.c0da783a1a0c473dcb00c4997a1b3ed7.jpg

Another look at the zero-car and little rays

IMG_0828copy.jpg.814a9801a4994b651d8a38aef6f15019.jpg

Closer

IMG_0827copy.jpg.dbb70a7f9828fc87ee5f15bb7ce98fc7.jpg

Giant, purple half-ray

IMG_0823copy.jpg.6f73fa405aee9875dd5eff8a35608127.jpg

Work on the waterfall appears complete, at least on this side.

^^

The Giant, purple half-ray I think is the sign for the ride.

The overall ride looks really good and they are really coming along on the construction.

Once again, great pictures. Yeah, the half purple ray is for the sign at the entrance of the ride.

With the trees coming in, its already starting to have that jungle/rain forest look. I really can't wait to experience this new environment they are making.

This is looking absolutely amazing. With the trees and everything going in, its looking more and more awesome each day. It's looking like the beach/ocean area is painted tan, and with the water (obviously) painted a deep blue. Are they going to put actual sand in the beach or leave it as the painted ground?

This is looking absolutely amazing. With the trees and everything going in, its looking more and more awesome each day. It's looking like the beach/ocean area is painted tan, and with the water (obviously) painted a deep blue. Are they going to put actual sand in the beach or leave it as the painted ground?

What I'm thinking is that when the ocean is filled with water, the area painted dark blue is to give the illusion that this part will be deep water while the other area without the dark blue paint would be shallow water.

As for the sand, I believe their will be a mixture. Some area will have real sand while others would have moldings that look like sand. I don't think they would just leave it as painted concrete ground.

Just like you said, its looking amazing yet their is still more to come. Can't wait to see the queue and aquarium as well.

I was at the park yesterday and talked to a bunch of the employees who rode it, and they all really enjoyed the coaster! I also found it cool that they expressed a lot of pride in their company over the job they have done on this thrill machine- it was great to see that from employees.

One of the employees I talked with sounded like a true coaster groupie himself. He said that he has been on all the other flyers here in the US including the Vekoma models (he specifically said that he has not ridden Air at Alton Towers). This man said hands down Manta was his personal favorite Flying coaster- and he can not wait to ride it again when the water is added. He rode each row, and gave me this low down on the ride...

As with most flying coasters the view is the same from each row, however the front offers a more of a mild experience while the back is more intense. The inversions are very smooth, and the park did a great job landscaping around the ride, so the view is beautiful. BEC has always done a great job keeping their parks beautiful IMO, and I am glad to hear under the new InBev regime that has not changed. The employee said that the pace of the experience is great, and should only get better with the splash effect and waterfall. He said there is a nice contrast between the slower gliding moments, and periods of fast speed.

The best seat on any row is reportedly the left outside seat. On this seat you get the best sensation of narrowly missing the rock entrance and waterfall- and it offers an INSANE final swoop close to the ground just before the brakes. NOTE: since the water hasn't been added yet it is unclear if riders will get wet in that seat or any other!

The employees I talked to didn't know exactly when a soft opening would occur- a lot of that might have to do with when the aquariums get filled with waters, and the animals are added. Flamingoes are also being walked to their new home for a little bit each day, and they are a nice addition to the area.

Can't wait to ride Manta!

I'm waiting to see if season pass holders will get a sneak peak. ...I hope so.

I called the general 1-800 number and asked about this. I was told that Gold and Platinum passholders would be allowed to enter the park an hour early once the ride officially opens to ride. This is similar to what sister park BGT or BGA did with Sheikra.

If only Six Flags could learn to use theming. I'm sooo sick of Batman this, Superman that.

To each his/her own, but I'd take Scream at SFMM over a Disney coaster any day. Hell, they could name a coaster Pooperscooper: The Ride, and I wouldn't care less as long as it's a good ride.

I called the general 1-800 number and asked about this. I was told that Gold and Platinum passholders would be allowed to enter the park an hour early once the ride officially opens to ride. This is similar to what sister park BGT or BGA did with Sheikra.

I wonder if that would work with a platinum pass purchased from BGE?

I wonder if that would work with a platinum pass purchased from BGE?

Good question. I have the Orlando Platinum Pass, and forget that the other ABI Parks have a different type of Platinum pass that might not have the same perks as ours... Though you would think they would all be on the same level...

Johnnyupsidedown posted another great update. Pictures include shots of the lockers and signs that shows the row number when your boarding I assume.

Personally, its amazing how you could barely see the rock/waterfall entrance from Sky Tower anymore because of the trees. Going to be a great canopy from down there.

www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta0.html

Previews:

Are there two halves to the sign or is it just like that? If it is one piece, I would have liked a top down kind of sign better than the manta "flying".

Edit: I mean a sign like the ones that label the rows in the station when I say top down sign.

Looking great though, can't wait to see the construction done.

I'm waiting to see if season pass holders will get a sneak peak. ...I hope so.

$400 Platinum pass is finally worth it!!

Are there two halves to the sign or is it just like that? If it is one piece, I would have liked a top down kind of sign better than the manta "flying".

Edit: I mean a sign like the ones that label the rows in the station when I say top down sign.

Looking great though, can't wait to see the construction done.

I believe in the concept art, there is another piece for the sign.

http://www.orlandounited.com/news/revealingmantaart1.html

Don't know if anyone has noticed but:

While watching the concept art again, I noticed that the waterfall in the queue will be the same one of the ride!!!

If you look at the 3rd pic from the bottom up, there it is!, you can see the train passing on the other side. That is going to be simply amazing

^ Yeah that was part of the theme. This section where the train pass in front of the waterfall is the first section of the queue (right when you first enter).

I remember from one of the interview that they said the idea was to project an mysterious creature from behind the waterfall as you enter the ride queue. Its all part of the theme of going from "seeing to being."